Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag Control Module

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
barachello

Airbag Control Module

Post by barachello » Tue May 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi

My dad recently bought a 2004 z4, which requires a replacement airbag control unit.

I am told that the unit is situated in the centre console, and I would like to check the part number before trying to track down a replacement part.

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to remove the console, and also the location of the airbag unit ?

thanks

oli445

Re: Airbag Control Module

Post by oli445 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:19 pm

barachello wrote:Hi

My dad recently bought a 2004 z4, which requires a replacement airbag control unit.

I am told that the unit is situated in the centre console, and I would like to check the part number before trying to track down a replacement part.

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to remove the console, and also the location of the airbag unit ?

thanks
Just done this job and it's a ball ache! Not got the links but all instructions are online. Basically, remove centre storage lid and plastics that it's attached to, then transmission tunnell cover.

Not easy but with online instructions and patience more than do-able.

Out of interest, what are the faults on the car?

Dean

Post by Dean » Tue May 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Just had mine replaced as I bought it with the light on, was £435 all in from an Indy. Part was 275+vat off the top of my head.

(I know that doesn't really answer any of your questions lol!)

oli445

Post by oli445 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:29 pm

barachello

Airbag Control Module

Post by barachello » Wed May 09, 2012 7:36 am

Same as above really, bought with airbag light on.

Had a scan done, all faults cleared, and light came on the next day again. Re-scan pointed towards the control unit.

I was just looking to see how easy it would be to get at to check the part number.

The part number above is the one BMW gave me, and I have 2 older ones from realoem.

I will have a quick look at the link and report back

Thanks for the help

barachello

Airbag Control Module

Post by barachello » Wed May 09, 2012 7:39 am

Oli, do you have a walkthrough for the removal of the centre console?

Also the general location of the unit?

oli445

Post by oli445 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:30 am

No walk through sorry, I used a couple of sites and google searches.

This is quite a useful site: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/6042EN.pdf - step 5 to 17!

Very basic order of things:

Remove ashtray and unclip
Remove gear surround
Remove knee pads
Remove screws on the side ( 4 or 6 )
Remove centre storage flap
Remove plastic a ove centre storage flap
Remove front cover of centre storage (this is one big peice that includes the coin tray behind the handbrake
Remove centre console

Location of the unit is easy, it's directly under the coin tray behind the handbrake

barachello

Post by barachello » Wed May 09, 2012 11:29 am

That is superb

I will give it a go later hopefully and update the hread

thanks

barachello

Airbag Control Module

Post by barachello » Thu May 17, 2012 9:23 pm

Had the unit replaced with a matching used part - same part number.

The scan is now saying that the chassis number does not match. So I will have to go to BMW to get them to code the module.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Control Module

Post by kis » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:37 pm

Okay so replying to an old thread, but though best keep all the useful info already brought to the thread, rather than people replicating it.

Basically airbag light is on and can't be reset. Indie says it this module. Theres been some talk which indicates you need to code the module, others which don't.

So been doing a bit of digging, using two other posts as well:

viewtopic.php?t=35657
Which summarises the unit doesn't need coding. Plug and play.

viewtopic.php?t=73218
Which talks mostly about part numbers and compatibility issues (so not plug and play).

Hmmmmm :headbang:

To summarise I checked RealOEM (very useful btw) and typed in my BM serial no. I came back with a set of only two "Control Unit Airbag" options.
  1. 65776928570
  2. 65776935920
This is different to a post by oli445
oli445 wrote: This is the bad boy: 65776962767.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mod ... fg=65&hl=6
This shows a total of 6 possible modules. Also shows "Control Unit Airbag" and "Safety Information Module" being one and the same thing. Looking at the date they re-named the Control Unit Airbag to Safety Information Module from 2003 onwards.

My question is if a part number is newer than my original part number would I be right in thinking that coding wouldn't be an issue? And it's only an issue for units older than mine? I'm guessing thats the compatibility issue thats previously been raised by others?

Many thanks :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Control Module

Post by Chris_D » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:27 am

kis wrote:Okay so replying to an old thread, but though best keep all the useful info already brought to the thread, rather than people replicating it.

Basically airbag light is on and can't be reset. Indie says it this module. Theres been some talk which indicates you need to code the module, others which don't.

So been doing a bit of digging, using two other posts as well:

viewtopic.php?t=35657
Which summarises the unit doesn't need coding. Plug and play.

viewtopic.php?t=73218
Which talks mostly about part numbers and compatibility issues (so not plug and play).

Hmmmmm :headbang:

To summarise I checked RealOEM (very useful btw) and typed in my BM serial no. I came back with a set of only two "Control Unit Airbag" options.
  1. 65776928570
  2. 65776935920
This is different to a post by oli445
oli445 wrote: This is the bad boy: 65776962767.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mod ... fg=65&hl=6
This shows a total of 6 possible modules. Also shows "Control Unit Airbag" and "Safety Information Module" being one and the same thing. Looking at the date they re-named the Control Unit Airbag to Safety Information Module from 2003 onwards.

My question is if a part number is newer than my original part number would I be right in thinking that coding wouldn't be an issue? And it's only an issue for units older than mine? I'm guessing thats the compatibility issue thats previously been raised by others?

Many thanks :)
U manage to get this sorted mate? If so what was ur fix?
I have multiple airbag codes atm- looking like module replacement time :/
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Control Module

Post by kis » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:18 am

Still on the hunt mate. Most people on ebay/breakers asking for £150 (I only ever found two!!). I'm looking for slightly less - I'm a bargain hunter what can I say! Come on ebay every now and then so keeping my eye on that, and any "new" Zed's that appear online for breaking.

Also to note for your own situation, part numbers are quite specific so you can't just pick up any module. I ripped apart the car to get my hands on my part number which is 6935920. I did my own research and then I went to BM and that part has been superseded by 6965147. Which is what I got too. So basically I'm after either one of the two part numbers mentioned above.

My MOT still isn't for a while so looking hopeful. Otherwise £150 looks a dam lot better than £400+ which is what BM want for a brand new one. If I can actually get my hands on this blasted part, my indie says he can flash it with my serial numbers, etc so that the car can talk to the module. That's what he says ... and thats the plan!

Good luck with your own airbag light!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Control Module

Post by mac27040 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:19 am

when replacing the airbag module you need to code it as they store other information, this can be done via SSS v32 retrofit section, you need to have the part numbers available to input in. depending on the garage equipment they might not have the bmw software to clear the airbag light, can be done via INPA or DIS v57.
Using DIS normally tells you if the module is not communicating thus module faulty, but if it is communicating it could be one of the satellite modules on the inside of the door cills behind the carpet and seats which is the problem.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Control Module

Post by mac27040 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:21 am

PS i have the software and sometimes in the Bracknell area with work!!!
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Control Module

Post by mac27040 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:22 am

barachello wrote:Hi

thanks
where are you in the country?