Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

coolant light on/off.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

coolant light on/off.

Post by ben g » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:08 pm

last couple of days my coolant light has came on, but went off after a while.

at first i thought it was the screenwash light as i don't have an owners manual, so ignored it.

checked coolant level today and it looked quite low, so topped up with water.

only thing i don't understand is the stick float thing that i've seen in pictures, doesn't seem to be present on mine.

heres a photo of mine to show what i mean:

whats the white thing and is the float in the middle of it?

cheers, Ben.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

philip27

Re: coolant light on/off.

Post by philip27 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Looks to me like the float is missing. I dont think it just drops inside when the coolant level is low.
Went to the dark side Porsche Cayman 987s
Crimson Red E89 23i - :(
Maldives Blue E85 2.5i - Sold :(

Oakandacorns

Post by Oakandacorns » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Mine doesn't look like that. Can't take a picture right now as at the office. Mine has a float.

With respect to low level, even if coolant is low, guess there is a place at the bottom where the float will sit (because the pipe leads to the tank? And you wouldn't want the float to go walkies). Just making a presumption.
Oakandacorns
Former: 2.5 (04), Ellipsoid alloys, Heated seats, RFT, OEM Wind Deflector
Love it

VvrooomM

coolant light on/off.

Post by VvrooomM » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Dashboard lights now an MOT fail whereas they used to be an advisory!!

Thats gonna hurt unless people start taking the bulbs out!!

Tapatalking on my iPhone.......
Z4MC midnight blue with CSL's + VREDs, extd light sepang leather, folding mirrors, stubby aerial, retro bluetooth, prof nav, intravee ipod kit, storage and cup holders!!, laser LRC100, DSP hi-fi, storage and privacy.....is that it?

mrlozzer
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mrlozzer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:38 pm

VvrooomM wrote:Dashboard lights now an MOT fail whereas they used to be an advisory!!
Does that depend on the age of the car? Our old Suzuki 4x4 has had a faulty EGR valve for a while - nothing major, but it caused the engine warning light on the dash to be lit up. Just gone through its MOT without even an advisory....
Sold:3.0i|Sterling Grey|heated leather|nav|DSP|18" CSL reps|452s|eibach|facelift & de-ginger|aero skirts|alcantara MFSW|CF badges|DICE|cruise|gaptech|strut brace|Alcantara M seats

VvrooomM

coolant light on/off.

Post by VvrooomM » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:24 pm

Might be 30th April but thought it was 1st but then might relate to abs / airbag. Only read it this morning but got a memory like a spoon or is it sieve??

Tapatalking on my iPhone.......
Z4MC midnight blue with CSL's + VREDs, extd light sepang leather, folding mirrors, stubby aerial, retro bluetooth, prof nav, intravee ipod kit, storage and cup holders!!, laser LRC100, DSP hi-fi, storage and privacy.....is that it?

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 pm

the dash light has gone off after i added some water, so no worries there.

just don't know where my float has disappeared to :(
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

miln0039

Post by miln0039 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:59 am

ben g wrote:the dash light has gone off after i added some water, so no worries there.

just don't know where my float has disappeared to :(
My light has been flickering on / off for the first 30 seconds of a couple of journeys recently then vanishing.

I guess a little water added won't sufficiently dilute the coolant in there so I will do that this evening!

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:12 am

I think your float has gone right down- mine did this when I had a thermostat problem- I added lots of coolent and it came back up, eventually had a new thermostat under warrenty!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:51 pm

The white thing IS the float. The black tab is a guide/retainer to prevent the thing from being pulled out and lost. You're just missing the little guide post. As long as the coolant is at or just below the black tab, or a couple cm lower when cold, coolant level is fine.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:57 pm

old thread :lol: the tank had a crack in it, got it replaced and have a nice little level thing now.

endautrestermes

Post by endautrestermes » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:23 pm

hi guys, old thread back on track :D

I've had a similar problem on my zed 2.5i 2003 here, the coolant light keeps coming back from time to time: off when I start, 5miles later gets on for 15min, then off, on...

The difference here: my coolant level is full... is this just a dashboard/light failure, or is there a leak somewhere? I haven't witness anything like a leak, the coolant level being constant...

need help :(

cheers!

endautrestermes

Post by endautrestermes » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:04 pm

sorry for the early up, the more I drive with this light, the more I get anxious :(

anyone knows?

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:03 pm

It could be as simple as a sensor. Is the car misbehaving in any way? Running rough etc?

Before anything else, see if the wire has come off the sensor. Although I don't know the zed specifically, a lot of these work by grounding the line when they overheat, so if the wire comes off and is flapping around it will short and the light will come on. I'd expect that to cause flickering on and off though.

If you're not losing coolant, it's a good sign. Couple of things to check to try and rule out the obvious expensive things:

No sign of oil contamination in the coolant?
No sign of mayo in the oil filler cap?

Both the above possible head gasket fail but don't panic, mayo can also come from short journeys

What's the temp gauge doing? (although iirc that's oil temp)

Also check for an air lock in the coolant, maybe bleed it?

If the coolant and oil look clean and no airlock, the next steps I'd look at would be a potentially duff sensor, then possibly an early fail sign on the thermostat (eg it's opening and closing but at the wrong temps)

Also get a compression test done to rule out the head gasket.

Good luck!
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

endautrestermes

Post by endautrestermes » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:26 pm

ok thanks a bunch, will check all these and come back! :thumbsup:

cheers!