Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

coolant light on/off.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
endautrestermes

Re: coolant light on/off.

Post by endautrestermes » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:31 pm

so far, I can reply to these:
Stuart Truman wrote:It could be as simple as a sensor. Is the car misbehaving in any way? Running rough etc? Nope

No sign of oil contamination in the coolant? Nope
No sign of mayo in the oil filler cap? Nope

What's the temp gauge doing? (although iirc that's oil temp) Stable in normal temperature
not sure how to check this though:
Before anything else, see if the wire has come off the sensor. Although I don't know the zed specifically, a lot of these work by grounding the line when they overheat, so if the wire comes off and is flapping around it will short and the light will come on. I'd expect that to cause flickering on and off though.
by sensor, do you mean the little stick floating when removing the cap? or do you mean something electronic? ok I'll go look if I see any wire, just that I don't know where it could be :)

I'll check and come back, thanks again!

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:35 pm

The sensor is electronic. There will be a wire from it. No idea where it is though. Anyone?

Bleeding the system is probably next then I'd check with a dealer or indie on the cost of the sensor and thermostat, I'm more inclined towards the sensor and its probably the cheaper option.

Is the heater operating normally?
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

slick

Post by slick » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:43 pm

The low coolant sensor is in the bottom of the expansion tank
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

Marius

Post by Marius » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Stuart Truman wrote:The sensor is electronic. There will be a wire from it. No idea where it is though. Anyone?

Bleeding the system is probably next then I'd check with a dealer or indie on the cost of the sensor and thermostat, I'm more inclined towards the sensor and its probably the cheaper option.

the sensors is on the bottom of the coolant tank , don't visible from the top,need to remove undertray to gain the access

endautrestermes

Post by endautrestermes » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Marius wrote:
Stuart Truman wrote:The sensor is electronic. There will be a wire from it. No idea where it is though. Anyone?

the sensors is on the bottom of the coolant tank , don't visible from the top,need to remove undertray to gain the access
thank you very much all, I'll check this sensor, see what happen

the heater is functionning ok, although the aircon is a bit weaker than it used to be (but that's something I noticed way before the coolant light problem)

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Sounds more and more like a sensor. If you had air in the coolant I'd expect the heater to be acting up. Likewise if the thermostat was faulty. I misread your original post and interpreted it as coolant over temp.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:44 pm

i would fill it so you can see the water then do a couple of long high rev runs let it settle then check it the next day, it seems on mine after lots of high revs the water was dropping and the light coming on. I thought the worst head gasket but turns out to be a tiny crack in the expansion tank which gushes more water when the engine is worked hard and only when warmed up fully. Short runs /cold / low engine revs there is only a tiny amount of leakage so takes weeks to get the level to drop.
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

Dgutz646

coolant light on/off.

Post by Dgutz646 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 pm

I m having a similar problem. I have a 2008 Z4 I recentally purchased and while checking the fluids I didn't close the radiator cap correctly. Next day all coolant is on the ground and I presume it's a broken hose or expansion tank but after inspection no hose or leaks are apparent. I bleed the radiator and put new antifreeze conclude the cap wasn't sealed correctly. I drive the day after and the low coolant light is turning of and off on occasion and I've already topped off the radiator. So I again look for leaks and none are apparent so I have no clue why the light turns on then off

z4dan

coolant light on/off.

Post by z4dan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:46 pm

ben g wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 pm the dash light has gone off after i added some water, so no worries there.

just don't know where my float has disappeared to :(
same happening to me today. in my manual it says be careful what coolant you use as the wrong ne can damage the engine

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

coolant light on/off.

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:54 pm

z4dan wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:46 pm be careful what coolant you use
Genuine BMW (isn't bad value as it can be diluted with tap water within hardness limits) or G48. There is a long list of approved but I've only seen the G48 here in the UK.

OE concentrate was cheaper than G48 ready mixed.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.