Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 20i - Hill Assist

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Dave-2912

Re: E89 20i - Hill Assist

Post by Dave-2912 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Carol M wrote:Difficulty in adapting isn't the point really. The point is that the car was advertised/sold with a function that wasn't actually present on 4 cylinder models.
Would it be ok then to advertise the car as having abs and then it doesn't come with it or electric windows and then the car has wind up windows or buying an m sport model and then being told it doesn't come in m sport or....... you get the point.
We could drive without abs or electric windows or a non m sport but these cars were sold and advertised as coming with a function, which you could argue and quite rightly so, we paid for and they don't have it. Why is that ok?
I see your point Carol but I'm just saying that I don't see it as such a big issue as the examples you have mentioned. To me, a better example would be if the car was advertised with 1-touch up/down windows but the feature wasnt present. It's something that's nice to have but you dont really need. You just get on with enjoying the car.

That's why I have no problem with people claiming compensation. I just don't see why it has become such a major issue for some and why they've spent so much time fighting for something I view as fairly trivial.

Just my 10p worth and I appreciate we all have different opinions on this.

duncan-m-w

Post by duncan-m-w » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Could you get in the car for the first time, do a hill start on a very steep hill and pass a driving test with no faults? No chance. You would roll back and would be marked down for not being in control of the car.

Which I argue an experienced driver could do in any other car. So it is compromised.
20i MSport
Spec: Pure Impulse Design, Comfort Pack, Seat heating, S/W heating, DAB, Pro hifi.
Mods: Stubby, Alu pedals, High gloss grill

kevinmarkwhite

E89 20i - Hill Assist

Post by kevinmarkwhite » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Don't agree.

Firstly, you'd need to be used to the biting point in the other car.

Secondly, don't do a driving test in a new car.

Thirdly, with a little practice it is possible.

Fourthly - loads of people can't do hill starts anyway!

Dave-2912

Post by Dave-2912 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:57 pm

duncan-m-w wrote:Could you get in the car for the first time, do a hill start on a very steep hill and pass a driving test with no faults? No chance. You would roll back and would be marked down for not being in control of the car.

Which I argue an experienced driver could do in any other car. So it is compromised.
I'm a little confused by this. I have to be honest and say I think the scenario in your argument is flawed...

Nobody does a driving test in a car they are not used to. It takes practice to be able to drive any new car competently. Also, I don’t know a single person who passed their test with no faults at all (although I welcome anyone to pipe up to say they have).

I seriously doubt that the majority of drivers could jump straight into a new car and immediately control it perfectly. It takes a little practice to get the feel of a car, including the clutch biting point, the steering angle needed to go round a given corner, the pressure you need to apply to the brake pedal to slow at the required rate, etc. I'm sure most people driven a car for the first time and almost put themselves through the windscreen when they discover the brakes are a little more sensitive than they expected...

Like I said in a previous post. After a very short period any decent driver should be able to manoeuvre on a gradient without a problem. It is easily learnt in the same amount of time it takes to get used to the rest of the car.

Andrew*Debbie

Post by Andrew*Debbie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 pm

I've been driving manual transmission cars since 1976. 3 1/2 years ago I took lessons for 2 months and then passed the UK practical driving test with three minor faults. None of the faults were for parking brake, hill starts (Moving Off) or required maneuvers. I took the test in a 10 year old high mileage Golf.

Edit: I just pulled my test report. 2 minor faults for undue hesitation and 1 minor fault for steering.

If I tried to take the test in our Z4 I would almost certainly get a few minor faults for undue hesitation. If they asked for a turn in road on a hill, there is a good chance I'd get enough faults to fail the test.

On the other hand our e89 is more than drivable. Most of the time the parking brake is a minor annoyance, nothing more. If I had to take the test again, I'd use a different car.
The models, equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Subject to change. YMMV.

kevinmarkwhite

Post by kevinmarkwhite » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:47 pm

I think if someone turned up for a driving test in a Z4, they'd get a fail for being a knob. Its not exactly a learners car is it?

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:58 pm

The whole point of this is that we bought a car that wasn't

"....as they were described to you before you made a purchase."

that's the crux of the matter really. Some people have decided to just swallow it and let it go others have decided not to. BMW will be thankful I'm sure for the ones that have let it go but for the ones that aren't prepared to accept it then they must do something about it, which in this case is some form of compensation as hill assist can't be retrofitted. Either that or we are within our rights to return the car to them.

There are people who can't understand why we are 'making a fuss' which is fine but make a fuss we will if we choose to as is our right.

kevinmarkwhite

Post by kevinmarkwhite » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:03 pm

Exactly - its the principle of the thing, not the effect of not having the feature (although for some it really is about the effects!).

KeithJ

Post by KeithJ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Well... BMW reviewed their offer and gave me a cheque for £800 which the dealership is going to send me out. They said that was their absolute final offer and wouldn't budge at all.

I am going to donate a bit of it off to the Bobby Robson foundation.
2012 BMW Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Alpina White with Red Coral leather - BMW Professional Loudspeaker - Heated seats - Wind Deflector - Extended Lighting - Electronic Folding Mirrors - Engine model deletion

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:02 pm

KeithJ wrote:Well... BMW reviewed their offer and gave me a cheque for £800 which the dealership is going to send me out. They said that was their absolute final offer and wouldn't budge at all.

I am going to donate a bit of it off to the Bobby Robson foundation.
Good result Keith and that's a brilliant thing to do. Wished I'd done that now. You live and learn eh?

KeithJ

Post by KeithJ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Yeah,

Bobby Robson is an inspiration to me as a person. He was a true gentleman in his life time. If I can achieve even a fraction of what he done then I will be happy.

My most inspirational bit came when he admitted that he had his tough times however then says but you do you have the tenacity to get over the tough times cause if you don't well you have failed anyway!

Great man!
2012 BMW Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Alpina White with Red Coral leather - BMW Professional Loudspeaker - Heated seats - Wind Deflector - Extended Lighting - Electronic Folding Mirrors - Engine model deletion

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:53 pm

Plus he played for WBA! Top bloke :thumbsup:

2+4

Post by 2+4 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:23 am

Carol M wrote:Plus he played for WBA! Top bloke :thumbsup:
+1
Boing Boing!
That's the plate for my new Z.

kevinmarkwhite

Post by kevinmarkwhite » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:39 am

I hate football. If my Z4 rolled back into a footballers car (or preferably his legs) due to no hill start assist, then I would be happy without the feature!

KeithJ

E89 20i - Hill Assist

Post by KeithJ » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:52 am

Don't say a word against Bobby Robson, Kevin.

The man was a pure gentleman. He set up the foundation even when he was on his death bed he was still doing work for the charity. He went to a football match in his honour a few days before he died. It was said be wasn't well enough to go and could barely see the match but went to say good bye to the fans.

A very sad loss not just to football to the world. If some people had half the class of the man then this world would be a much better place!