Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

London Calling?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
EFXAD

London Calling?

Post by EFXAD » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:49 pm

A questions for my British friends...

As fate would have it, I may have a fantastic opportunity to live and work in the UK. My potential employer is in Nottinghamshire. I've toured the UK on my bicycle several years ago so I'm not a totally in the dark on the cultural differences and climate.

I'm looking for any/all advice you may have in this adventure. Things like, I own all of my autos but just how crazy would it be to ship them or should I just sell and buy new there? How do you feel towards Americans in your country? I've found that taxes take 40% of your income, and things in general cost more than in the US, so what would be a considered an average salary and what is realistic for those who own homes and have 2 new autos?

Questions like that... any input welcome!

Oh, I'll have an excellent private ranch for sale just north of LA if your looking for a lovely vacation spot in the states :crazydude:

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Re: London Calling?

Post by RustyZ4 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:44 pm

With reference to shipping over your auto,s I havent got a clue,,

Taxes depend on what you earn, we have several tax bands that rise with your income, but can change with each budget, (one due in April) but at the moment its,,,,

Starting rate 10% 0 - £2,230
Basic rate 22% £2,231 - £34,600
Higher rate 40% over £34,600

E.G if you earn £40,000, you will pay 10% on the first £2230, 22% from there to £34.600 and 40% on the rest,

Then theres national insurance,

Employees

First £94
nil

£97 to £645
11%

Excess over £630
1%

With regard to property, prepare yourself for a shock,, this depends on where you buy, London is REALLY expensive, Nottinghamshire will still be expensive compared to the U.S. but somebody from that area will be able to tell you better, In kent where I lve for a four bedroom detached house you will pay between £350.000 to £500.000 depending on location.

Buying an auto here, for example a Z4 new with bits will set you back £40.000.

With regards to salary, that really depends on what you are doing? thats a minefield,

In answer to the question, yes the UK is a really expensive place to live compared to the U.S., I have relatives live in Florida and they cant believe the cost of everything here.
Food is dear
Petrol is dear,
Beer is about the same price :D
But salarys do tend to be higher here.

Of course we like Americans, as long as you arent related to that idiot George Bush :D

I guess going out on a limb, to have a house and two auto,s you would expect to earn £70.000 a year plus, (waits for the arguments :rofl: )
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:58 pm

Notts is less than an hour drive from me. I've worked in the UK and US all my life and mainly for US companies.

Americans are very welcome, so long as your not too loud, don't analyse everything, don't consider us quaint, you drink our beer and accept we do drive on the correct side...

You can import your cars easily and only have to change a few parts like turn signals and then have it tested. Many of my buddies have done this and it seems all the USAF guys do.

Income whatever you think you need. A 4 bed house in a nice area will set you back $1mm. Petrol is $10 a gallon, Starbucks $5 a shot. I'd say less than £70k ($140k) and you'll struggle with your expected standards so I concur with RustyZ4

PM me if you wish specifics off board
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:57 pm

One big factor would be how much you could bring over as a deposit for a house over here, how big your mortgage would be is a big factor in how much you'd need to earn. Personally speaking, I'm not sure I could swap a ranch north of LA for what you could buy here in our crowded island.

For property, have a look at http://www.rightmove.co.uk and the postcode for the centre of Nottingham is NG1, if you enter that and search say 10 mile radius etc that will give you some kind of idea what you could get to live in.

For conversion rates, assume that everything costs in pounds what it does in dollars and you won't be too far away.

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:39 am

RustyZ4 wrote:
as long as you arent related to that idiot George Bush :D
Just couldn't stand it could you? You just had to slide some smart-ass comment in about my country...Image

Rock on USA Image
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:49 am

fire-n-ice wrote:
RustyZ4 wrote:
Just couldn't stand it could you? You just had to slide some smart-ass comment in about my country...Image

Rock on USA Image

X2

pmeloche

Post by pmeloche » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:06 am

Hi. I once spent a year in London (actually we were staying in Windsor) for my work. My employer was renting our flat so I did not care much about the rent. All I know is that it was really expensive. :cry:

In 1996, the exchange rate between the canadian dollar and the British pound was 2:1 and basically all the prices announced were identical to canadian prices but in pounds making the cost of living exactly twice the canadian rate (at least compared to Montreal). The salaries were matching so an engineer making 45K in Montréal would expect to make 45K pounds.

I was told and also noticed that the living expenses were dropping significantly when you reached a distance of 80 miles away from the city center. So the brits that were working with us at the BA training center at Heathrow Airport would commute a good 50 miles in order to afford something decent at a reasonable price.

I have no clue about the cars since I rented one over there. My dad drove my Civic at the time for me.

As for the people, they were absolutely fantastic once they realized that I was french canadian and not french. :) I wonder why that is. :wink:

You'll find the beer absolutely fantastic compared to the horse piss that we ingurgitate here in NA. :thumbsdown:

The only drawback is the dreary weather all year long. It rained practically every day of the year except for the month of August where for no obvious reasons at all it was hot and humid. :idunno:

Hope this helps.
Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Novillo leather (Carbon Fibre trim)
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown interior (Premium Package)

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:50 am

fire-n-ice wrote:
RustyZ4 wrote:

Rock on USA Image
It was not a stab at your country at all, I love America and love going there, it was a stab at George Bush (who is a grade A idiot) :thumbsdown:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:06 pm

Come on... as much as I'm all for free speech and all that, this thread is about relocation to the UK and the issues that may arise. Please can we keep our political opinions out of this thread.

I dont want to baby for forums too much, that does more harm than good, but you must understand comments such as these cause offence, and I hope that was not the intention.

Back to the subject, I live in Harrogate. There are a lot of Americans here as it's right next to the Menwith Hill US base... we love Americans here :thumbsup: (even if we are jealous that they get US priced petrol, on-base!!)
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:05 pm

I think you can buy a new car tax free in the US and ship to the UK, where it comes in as household goods as you move here as well. That way, you can drive a tax free car ... Obviously, that will be a LHD car but that is not a problem.

I drove in the UK for about 2 years on a left hand drive car that I brought in. Only slight problem then was that it was more challenging to find insurance, but I think it is easier now.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

spokey

Post by spokey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:33 pm

EFXAD wrote:My potential employer is in Nottinghamshire.
But not in Nottingham itself? Because Nottingham is ... :scratchhead: not my favourite place to visit.
Cheers,
Spokey
Aebous wrote:
lacroupade wrote:
Aebous wrote:Does dating your car count?
Only if it involves something unpleasant to do with your tailpipe.... :rofl:
I wouldn't call it unpleasant :?

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:00 pm

pvr wrote:I think you can buy a new car tax free in the US and ship to the UK, where it comes in as household goods as you move here as well. That way, you can drive a tax free car ... Obviously, that will be a LHD car but that is not a problem.

I drove in the UK for about 2 years on a left hand drive car that I brought in. Only slight problem then was that it was more challenging to find insurance, but I think it is easier now.
I drove a LHD Dodge Challenger for 18 months over here. The biggest problem for me was having to climb across to the passenger seat for ticket barriers at car parks and toll booths! I got classic car insurance on it though so that wasn't a problem.

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:34 pm

spokey wrote:
But not in Nottingham itself? Because Nottingham is ... :scratchhead: not my favourite place to visit.

Why is your real name Robin Hood :D

EFXAD

Post by EFXAD » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:14 pm

RustyZ4 wrote:
spokey wrote:

Why is your real name Robin Hood :D
Yes, details please!

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:19 pm

I lived in Staffordshire...loved every minute of it, tiny village and worked in Birmingham.