Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric windows not behaving

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
robodob

Post by robodob » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Alrighty chaps and chapettes!

I've tried searching around for a previous topic on this but can't really see one, however I find it hard to believe i'm the only one with this problem:

Sometimes (totally randomly) when i open the door the window goes all the way down, then when you shut it, it goes all the way back up again. Normally it would just go down a centimeter when the door is opened however, like i've said, sometimes they go all the way down...I have noticed no pattern to this behaviour at all and i cannot make it happen. It appears to be random.

This worries me as we get closer to winter and they get frozen in position then the motor is trying to take it down without permission it may damage them?

I've only noticed it on the driver side so far, but then i rarely have passengers.

2005 (05 plate) BMW Z4 2.5l

Cheers for any help/suggestions, Rob.

left98204

Re: Electric windows not behaving

Post by left98204 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:50 pm

Can't help you unfortunately

However when I first got my car, I'd take the keys out of the ignition when I had stopped somewhere and the passenger window would go all the way down.

Again this was purely random and I could never replicate it.

Dealer fixed it, must have been some short somewhere
54 Plate 2.2 SE, Titanium Silver, retro fitted Heated, Electric MSports Seats, Gaptech, Cruise Control, 108's - Owned from new :)

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:13 pm

I had similar issue with mine and one day it stopped working completely and as being the driver's window, caused a lot of hassle.

took it to the dealer and they replaced the window regulator under warranty.

don't know if this helps you or not.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:16 pm

There is an easy access function you can have programmed so when you press the unlock button twice (IIRC) it opens the windows further to aid access in tight spots etc. I then closed the window wen you close the door.

It's probably the above, it's all in the manual :wink:

robodob

Post by robodob » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:21 pm

srhutch wrote:There is an easy access function you can have programmed so when you press the unlock button twice (IIRC) it opens the windows further to aid access in tight spots etc. I then closed the window wen you close the door.

It's probably the above, it's all in the manual :wink:
OooOOoooOOooo this sounds hopeful...i'll try this nexxt time i get in. I'm far away from it right now and it's raining heavily! :) Cheers.

LeeME3

Post by LeeME3 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:24 pm

srhutch wrote:...it's all in the manual :wink:
Jeez, you'll be telling us you read the instructions that (apparently) come with new TVs next!
2003 Z4 3.0i
Done: DIY Aux cable, stubby, sound generator foam delete, gaptech, brodit pro, M wheels, ditched RFTs
To do: Steering wheel audio.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:26 pm

LeeME3 wrote:
srhutch wrote:...it's all in the manual :wink:
Jeez, you'll be telling us you read the instructions that (apparently) come with new TVs next!
just a bit of fun, I could have said RTFM :evil:

robodob

Post by robodob » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:31 pm

Surprisingly I ACTUALLY read the manual when I got the car, mainly to see what the (!) and DTC buttons meant, but never saw anything about auto opening windows. A strange function in my opinion, I don't really see how it aids access? Is it so you jump through the window instead of using the door? ;)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:42 pm

The windows are frame less, so when I park my car in the garage I get out with the windows open and then close when locking the car. It really does make a difference.

Jono

Post by Jono » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:34 pm

Only had my Z4 two weeks, but twice when putting the driver's window back up at a ticket barrier it has risen a couple of inches and then gone back down again. My old Audi TT roadster had a habit of greeting me with the windows all the way down on numerous occasions. Window motors were replaced under warranty which sorted it.
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i SE Auto - Titanium Silver

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:41 pm

Jono wrote:Only had my Z4 two weeks, but twice when putting the driver's window back up at a ticket barrier it has risen a couple of inches and then gone back down again. My old Audi TT roadster had a habit of greeting me with the windows all the way down on numerous occasions. Window motors were replaced under warranty which sorted it.
This just need the windows reset procedure to be carried out, just to a search for it.

Jono

Post by Jono » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm

srhutch wrote:
Jono wrote:Only had my Z4 two weeks, but twice when putting the driver's window back up at a ticket barrier it has risen a couple of inches and then gone back down again. My old Audi TT roadster had a habit of greeting me with the windows all the way down on numerous occasions. Window motors were replaced under warranty which sorted it.
This just need the windows reset procedure to be carried out, just to a search for it.

Ooooh, interesting :) Many thanks :thumbsup:

Jono

Post by Jono » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:03 am

Only had my Z4 two weeks, but twice when putting the driver's window back up at a ticket barrier it has risen a couple of inches and then gone back down again. My old Audi TT roadster had a habit of greeting me with the windows all the way down on numerous occasions. Window motors were replaced under warranty which sorted it.

vic9908

Post by vic9908 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:47 pm

My 2005 Z4 driver side window goes down a few inches, then stops. It seems like the window is jamming or binding. It goes back up easily. So the switch is working, and the window acts normal until it binds to a stop. There is no unusual motor noises and I’ve not heard any clunking sounds. Help??