Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ignition Switch - First Major Problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Ignition Switch - First Major Problem

Post by WLH » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Just had my first major problem on my 2007 M Roadster. The problem started about a week ago. My ///M would not start right away taking 5 to 10 seconds of cranking. Yesterday the problem got much worse and was taking 3 or 4 tries to get started. My local dealer traced the problem down to a faulty Ignition Switch part # 61326901961 which has now been replaced. The failed part appears to be common to all Z4s.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

brawnyblue

Re: Ignition Switch - First Major Problem

Post by brawnyblue » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:57 am

WLH wrote:Just had my first major problem on my 2007 M Roadster. The problem started about a week ago. My ///M would not start right away taking 5 to 10 seconds of cranking. Yesterday the problem got much worse and was taking 3 or 4 tries to get started. My local dealer traced the problem down to a faulty Ignition Switch part # 61326901961 which has now been replaced. The failed part appears to be common to all Z4s.

Hmm, this sounds like the same issue I am currently having in my 2004 2.5i.

See here: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29485

How much do they charge for this to be replaced? Could you maybe explain your problem a bit more?

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:35 am

I had mine replaced under extended warranty.
my symptoms would be that the car would not crank at all - just the ignition lights come on and then nothing.
upon 2nd turn - she fired up
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:53 am

I made a video for the dealer in the event the problem would not happen when the car went in. They told me to crank the engine for a max of 20 seconds in the video. Notice that on the fourth try to start all of the indicators lights came on and that was the indication that the problem was with the ignition switch. There was no charge as this was covered by the warranty.

brawnyblue

Post by brawnyblue » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:01 pm

WLH wrote:I made a video for the dealer in the event the problem would not happen when the car went in. They told me to crank the engine for a max of 20 seconds in the video. Notice that on the fourth try to start all of the indicators lights came on and that was the indication that the problem was with the ignition switch. There was no charge as this was covered by the warranty.
Awesome! Thanks for the video. This is exactly what mine sounds like! I also noticed when I turn the key really hard there is no issue at all. Really seems like my ignition switch could be going after all

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Tim182, I should say the lack of indicator lights in the first try to start is the primary indication of the problem being with the ignition switch. Also, this fault does not produce any fault codes. In researching this problem a little more disclosed that this ignition switch is used in a number of BMW models and has a history of failure and being difficult for BMW dealer to identify.

brawnyblue

Post by brawnyblue » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:53 pm

WLH wrote:Tim182, I should say the lack of indicator lights in the first try to start is the primary indication of the problem being with the ignition switch. Also, this fault does not produce any fault codes. In researching this problem a little more disclosed that this ignition switch is used in a number of BMW models and has a history of failure and being difficult for BMW dealer to identify.

Thanks! I will give it another day or two to see what happens but I'll be sure to point this out and get it checked first by the dealer. It could still be a different issue as mine only jutters for about 3-5s so its nowhere as bad. Still, its very similar to this

swiss tony

Post by swiss tony » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi,
Just bought my first Z4 2.0i SE and have found it has an intermittant starting/ignition problem. From what you have said, it could be the ignition switch? Anyone confirm? :(

If I put the key in and go for a start, about 1 in 4 it will just turn over and I have noticed there are no warning lights on the dash except the radio/wipers/lights work so power is on.

I have learnt that if I move to position 2 in the switch and wait a moment (i.e. while put seatbelt on) then the warning lights all come on first and it starts first time.

I first thought immobiliser, but after reading your post, sound more like the igition switch? Is there a relay of some kind that could also be the problem or anyone else hear of this?

I'm sure it is more electrical and not engine components as the spark plugs are quite new.

Cheers for a great forum! :D

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:12 pm

swiss tony, welcome to the forum... :thumbsup:
Yes, from what you described it sound like the ignition switch could be the problem. The lack of warning light seems to be the indication that the ignition switch has failed.

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Just to be clear. Do not confuse the ignition switch for the ignition lock. They are two separate parts connected together. The ignition lock is expensive and very involved to replace. The switch on the other hand is relatively inexpensive and easy to change.

Everyone here seems to be on track, but there has been confusion on this in the past.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

swiss tony

Post by swiss tony » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 am

Cheers guys, anyone know a rough price a normal garage would charge for changing the ignition switch? or is it a straightforward job to do yourself? Any special tools needed?
Cheers

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:42 am

swiss tony wrote:Cheers guys, anyone know a rough price a normal garage would charge for changing the ignition switch? or is it a straightforward job to do yourself? Any special tools needed?
Cheers
Part # 2 and about $80 US. I have no idea how difficult it is to install...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=32&fg=30

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:43 am

I found the video that I had posted above and have re-linked it to my current video hosting service.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:39 pm

Mine has this problem, so glad to find this thread. Been intermittent and noticed if I put to position 2 and waited a second or two it was normally fine. Tonight It wouldn't start and that's when I noticed the ignition lights were not lit. a few tries later we had lights and away I went.

Will get a switch ordered tomorrow.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:25 am

New part arrived today from Quarry Motors, £8.95. Couldn't see any reason to buy a new one at nearly £70 when it's a non moving non wear item (You know what I mean).

I'd started taking the cowl off and doing a recce to see how hard the job was when it turned up. Turns out it's a lot easier than on some other models that use the same part.

1. Disconnect Battery
2. Remove Lower steering cowl (Single screw holding in place)
3. Pull clip out to release wiring loom from ignition switch.
4. Scrape away the two red wax screw covers
5. Loosen the screw just enough to release the switch.

Refit no switch in reverse sequence. Total time about 10 minutes.