Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Z4 is worth much less because it's a stick??

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
zzzing

My Z4 is worth much less because it's a stick??

Post by zzzing » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:24 pm

I had my car in for service so I went into the showroom to look at the new BMW models.
I have a 2005 Z4 Roadster 2.5i stick 5 speed with 8000 miles.
I have another car for day-to-day and this car is for pleasure. I bought it new from this dealer.

Here’s the question, the dealer says my Z4 trade is not worth much because it’s a stick.
They didn’t want to quote a price, they said “everyone wants Automatic”.
Do you think they are correct, or are they setting me up for a low-ball?
All of the roadsters that I have owned have been stick shift. Has the market changed?
I will get a second opinion however the next BMW dealer is an hour away. Jack, USA

Shidevil

Re: My Z4 is worth much less because it's a stick??

Post by Shidevil » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Mmmm, well in the US, people tend to be lazy, so I can probably understand that, but it's a bloody sports car, so you can only go the way of the stick!

I would say an auto is less desirable, boring etc.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:45 pm

zzzing, welcome to the forum... :thumbsup:
I belong to a Z series car club with about 35 members. 2 of those members have automatics.
I think they are setting you up for a low ball...
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Z4 Pilot

Post by Z4 Pilot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Shidevil wrote:Mmmm, well in the US, people tend to be lazy, so I can probably understand that, but it's a bloody sports car, so you can only go the way of the stick!

I would say an auto is less desirable, boring etc.
I would tend to agree with shidevil (except for the Americans are lazy part.) I think there are two basic issues. There has been a simple change in demand re: automatics vs. standards in the last few decades. They're easier to use for the novice driver, easier in urban stop and go traffic, etc. Secondly, with the reduced demand for standards there are far fewer people today who are comfortable driving a standard. They simply didn't grow up with them and are nervous about them.

Now, back to watching TV reruns and scratching my belly . . . Z4 Pilot :rofl:
2005 Z4 Roadster 3.0i, Sterling Gray Metallic, Black Extended High Performance Leather, Sycamore Wood Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package, Sequential Manual Gearbox, 30mm GAU-8/A Gatling Gun and Perma Grin.

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:14 pm

When I was searching for mine I noticed that here in Oz used Z4s in manual are generally more expensive because they've been owned by a true car enthusiast and hence have been better looked after ;)
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:35 pm

Just made a call to a friend of mine who is a salesman at the local BMW dealer. I asked the question concerning the used value of auto vs manual and while when new the auto added well over a $1,000 to the price it is now worth nothing. In other words you get nothing extra if trading in a Z with auto. The reason is they are a little harder move. I confirmed this by going on line and checking BLUEBOOK value and if you check auto it does not increase the trade in value.

T-J

Post by T-J » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi and welcome zzzing The Zed is a sports car and for me a sports car should have a stick. I think they a setting you up for a low-ball. Drive the hour I bet you find it worth it. :thumbsup:

cyhliu

Post by cyhliu » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:19 pm

I specifically wanted a stick-shift, I've never driven an automatic and the SMG was attractive but knew if they broke down, they would be expensive to repair.

For me having driving a stick-shift is part of the enjoyment of driving something like a Z4, I want to choose what gear to be in!

Anyway, returning back to the original posting, I think they are attempting to low-ball you, they probably know your nearest other dealer is an hour away too hence the attempt. I find it difficult to trust dealers sometimes, like estate agents, you really don't know if it's the truth or not...

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:30 pm

A dealer will suck his teeth, tut, shake his head and use anything to barter you down. It will always be the wrong colour / time of year / gearbox / mileage, whatever.....it may well have some truth to it but it's not a Camry so I don't think it should affect the value THAT much
T-J wrote:Hi and welcome zzzing The Zed is a sports car and for me a sports car should have a stick. I think they a setting you up for a low-ball. Drive the hour I bet you find it worth it. :thumbsup:
He's in the USA though, different market...

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Z4 Pilot wrote:I would tend to agree with shidevil (except for the Americans are lazy part.)...
Now, back to watching TV reruns and scratching my belly . . . Z4 Pilot :rofl:
:rofl:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:33 am

Easily fixed, just find out which dealership Jerry Lundergaard works at. Oh yah. :)

==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

bmwangler

Post by bmwangler » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:56 am

I think the difference between the UK and the USA is fact that in the UK, to get a licence that doesn't limit you to an auto only, you HAVE to learn to drive a manual.

The vast majority of First time Buyer cars are small, older, cheap manuals, so almost everyone here naturally graduates down the way of the stick.

It's the opposite in the States in just about every respect. :smart:
3.0i SE Roadster/De-Badged/Sterling Grey/108's/Xenons/Pro Sat Nav/Stubby/PDC/Retrofit Bluetooth/Cruise/ ///M Steering Wheel/ZHP/ ///M Black Grilles/

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:54 am

i would have thought a stick in the USA was a rare beast, i assumed 99% of cars over there were automatics

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:03 am

Welcome to the Forum - every salesman on a trade in will do all they can to reduce the value - it's their job: MAXIMISE PROFIT!
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Taz x wrote:i would have thought a stick in the USA was a rare beast, i assumed 99% of cars over there were automatics
Your are correct and it is often not even an option to have manual. Most of the BMW model can be obtained with manual but most sell with auto. However, you don't see too many Zed with auto.