Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

front central jacking point

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
gazzamill

front central jacking point

Post by gazzamill » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi, could someone please confirm that this is the front jacking point - before I do any damage.... :?

also how do you remove the metal guard plate (that has the service hatch for sump access) I changed the oil and some used oil got in there, and getting drips everywhere (as you can see!). I can see 3 small bolts at the front that fasten it to the plastic guard in front of it, but can't see any others.....

thanks in advance

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: front central jacking point

Post by gannet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:52 pm

doesn't look strong enough to be a jacking point to me :idunno:

also if you do jack it up from that point then try and remove the part you are talking about - looks to me like it is one and same :?
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

gazzamill

Post by gazzamill » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Ah - I should have said, the plan was to jack it up then lower onto axle stands, as that is the same part I was hoping to remove.

I agree, looks like it would collapse under load, but I read somewhere else (can't find it now) that there is a jack point in that area - seemed to be the only likely candidate...

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Iv jacked my car off it before ant it was fine. i presumed the same as you that it was a jacking point

i wont take any responsibility if it goes horribly wrong though :P

Incompatible

Post by Incompatible » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:45 pm

IIRC someone in another thread/forum discussion mentioned that the recess was the correct size for the "puck" which is used to jack up the sides. I tried to find the thread without success. Also IIRC BMW states the the attachment bolts for the reinforcement plate are one time use, although others have reinstalled the bolts without (reported) problems.
If you can't take the time to teach a kid something good, someone will take the time to teach them something bad.
2007 AW Z4 3.0Si Coupe

gazzamill

Post by gazzamill » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks for the replies, i'll try it jacking it up there later and let you know how I get on

christurbo

Post by christurbo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:08 am

This 'point' was widely discussed on the E46 forums. Some people posted pictures of it collapsing, some using the 'puck' method were OK. I personally wouldnt attempt it.
2005 | E85 | Z4 | 2.5l SE | Black | Beige Oregon Interior | MFSW | BlueTooth | AUX In | Red Out Rear Lights | Smoked Front HL Corners | Carbon Fibre Trim | ZHP //M Gear Knob |
2006 | EP3 | Honda Civic Type R | Premier Edition | Track Prepared |

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:04 am

I would strongly recommend that you do NOT attempt to jack the car on that point. It is a light alloy strengthening plate where it's strength is lateral and would all too easily collapse trying to lift the heaviest part of the car on that components weakest point

Even a slight deflection will put the front suspoension seriously out of alignment.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

gazzamill

Post by gazzamill » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks, changed my mind - I won't try jacking up there later :)