Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driver Side Window Loose

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Sephanite

Driver Side Window Loose

Post by Sephanite » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:34 am

This is the 2nd time the driver side window has become loose. By this, by grabbing the rear of the driver side window, you can move the window up and down. When the window moves up and down, you get a ticking sound inside the door like the mechanism is missing but the window will go down and up. The last time ig ot this repaired, it was just the lining and tightening of the window but this was only 1 yr ago. Anyone else had this problem?

albailey

Re: Driver Side Window Loose

Post by albailey » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:48 pm

i had the passenger window get knocked off the track when my daughter closed the door too hard. dealer popped it back in place - no charge. (sometime in '05)

melbs

Post by melbs » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:11 am

This problem is very common for BMWs in general, our E46 3 series and X5 both had all window clips break.

Had it also for both windows of my Z4.

Check for leaks after they change the clips since I pretty much guarantee you your car will leak after(water from window channel to your inner door panel then down to your carpet. :thumbsup:

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:34 am

Welcome to the forum, melbs. I remember you from the "other" forum. Hope you're no longer experiencing any leaks?
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:10 am

mmm, mine is the same.... rattles like mad when the door is closed hard, and I can move it with my hand v.easily. Car is well out of warranty so I guess I'm on borrowed time until it breaks properly. :(
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

melbs

Post by melbs » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:40 am

Rick Hunter wrote:Welcome to the forum, melbs. I remember you from the "other" forum. Hope you're no longer experiencing any leaks?
Thanks for the welcome rick hunter, did you also go by that handle before? yup its still me melbs from z4um. actually the z4 still leaks :(

melbs

Post by melbs » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:42 am

sp3ctre wrote:mmm, mine is the same.... rattles like mad when the door is closed hard, and I can move it with my hand v.easily. Car is well out of warranty so I guess I'm on borrowed time until it breaks properly. :(
yup, but don't let it break properly or else your regulator might prematurely break with it :P

CAN217

Post by CAN217 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:35 pm

i wonder if that's what happened to my driver's side window. i had my Z4MC for 1 week and when I closed my rear hatch, the driver's side window exploded. Dealership had no idea what happened; but, was very helpful in taking care of it.

ian in lancs

Post by ian in lancs » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:44 pm

I had this on my 2.5. The window is clamped in place with a bolt. When that works loose the window can move up/down a centimetre or so. Its easyish to fix... Remove or lift away the inner door panel; screws under door pull/ handle, lock lever and under air bag logo. The torx bolt can be accessed through a hole in the metal door skin at about half way up and 3/4 over the width of the door towards the lock. Unfortunately this hole is under the foam sound / water insulation cover stuck to the door. feel for the hole and cut a small hole to access. Repair / reseal with gaffa-ape or similar. Be careful tightening up the bolt it clamps two metal plates, one each side of the glass. So I assume overtightening will break the glass. Anyway, you'll find it easyish. I did this and it was fine and never came loose again. It took a while first time but could do it in about 20mins now i know what to do.
I'm on my second Zed, a cosseted 2007 Interlagos Blue Z4M Roadster owned since new - 343 horses controlled by a donkey...

Daily driver is a 2012 X3 3.0d M Sport (fantastic) Wife has a 2015 325d Luxury

IAM Observer

mickt

Post by mickt » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:21 am

Hi from a long time lurker with a 2003 3.0 which has the same problem (and all the others :D ).
There is, I believe, a BMW fix for this in the form of a clip which supports
the clamp which holds the glass. Modified parts were introduced into production after 3/04.
It appears that to fit the clip or tighten the clamp you do not need to strip out the interior
door trim. Instead, access is via the exterior door handle, which has to be removed.
BMW technical sheet SI B51 04 04 covers the clamp and door handle removal is
section 51 21 170.
Now, the problem :( . These TIS sheets were on http://www.tis.net, which now appears to be
http://www.bmwcenternet.com and you have to enter a dealer code & password to get the info.
Can anyone here access this site please? Failing that, does anyone know how to remove
the exterior door handle correctly? Once it is off, the window clamp is easily accessible.
Thanks in advance

mickt

Post by mickt » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi again. My mistake, the interior trim has to come out to remove the door handle.
"ian in lancs" has the solution spot on. I can totally agree that the second time you do it will be a lot easier!
Useful photos on trim removal in the Z4 section of diy instruction on http://www.bimmerforums.com. The thread
title is "Z4 door handle LEDS-DIY"