Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

carbon wraping dash and console now done looks great

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Rudd

Re: carbon wraping dash now done looks great

Post by Rudd » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:41 pm

The only query i have is what does it feel like to the touch? is it fragile and will wear easily or quite durable.
for things like the handles you want it to be quite durable obviously, how is yours holding up?

did you get yours from ebay?

cheers

richard :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Doenst seem fragile as long as the ends are all covered as I guess it will fray being true material.

I have posted some pics on here of it against my CFL dash, but cant remember where they are. :oops:

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm

i think i remember the post. i will have a dig around.

there is some on ebay quite cheap, and i guess you just use 3m or similar sray adhesive?

z4phill

Post by z4phill » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:54 pm

z4phill wrote:
srhutch wrote:Have you got the link to the CF you bought. I assume it's fabric like I bought, but mine seems a little to shiney where as yours appears to me more matt effect.
here is the ebay item no 190385132665 3m di-noc carbon fiber vinyl
This stuf feels and looks like ths real thing and it is extremly tough, I got it realy hot when applying and it only streched when I pulled it round the coners and as long as you wrap it round and tuck under I dont think it will ever fray or peel off , easaly avalable on ebay mine was 600mm X 1200 about which is more than enough to do all the bits on the zed £35 with the postage off ebay

z4phill

Re: carbon wraping dash and console now done looks great

Post by z4phill » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:44 pm

just done the console today come up really well the car had to come to bits to remove the alloy but it was worth the hastle what do you think

Craig74

Post by Craig74 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:28 pm

Looks great... :thumbsup:

I would also like to do this but worrie about rattles after the dash has been apart?

Cheers
C
Black 07 3.0l si sport Z4 Coupe, Xenons, Cruise Control, Pro Nav, BT phone Prep, Comfort pack, Speaker upgrade, Stubby, 19 225M Wheels, Heated Electric Seats,

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 am

Craig74 wrote:Looks great... :thumbsup:

I would also like to do this but worrie about rattles after the dash has been apart?

Cheers
C
Theres notihng to woory about regarding the dash rattling, as you only need to remove the centre vent and sterro which most people have done, and the trim is held on by four screws and one clip. The piece round the light switch just pulls off.

The centre console on the other hand requires half the interior to come out, but if you take your time there is no reason why it should rattle afterwards.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:03 am

looks good, i'm impressed

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:10 am

that looks great!

did you take any pics of taking the centre console out? im going to go for this!

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:11 am

Really suits the cream interior :thumbsup:

How long did it take to get the console in and out?
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

z4phill

Post by z4phill » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:47 pm

I took the seats out first then removed the center rear cuby just remove the two screws below the door and the two large ones under the cover at the top it all unclips without to much drama . once this is removed the console comes out by removing the two knee pads I put a screw driver on the lower side of the pad and prised them off then removed the screw covers it all just slides out
the console took me about 2 hours in total to remove put the wrap on and replace and while the seats where out give the the car a good vac , I took the car out for a run and and to show a couple of mates they cant belive the finish one said it looks like it left the showroom with that dash , I have no rattles only problem I have is I keep looking down at my new dash as I am driving I hope to stop doing this as I dont want to put the car through the hedge :whistle:

klarky

Post by klarky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:57 pm

looks great - how about the silver bits on the wheel, im tempted to do this so much, but need to get alignment done first and finish off my headlight project.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:06 pm

That's a superbly done job - good job :thumbsup:

I've got an A5-sized free sample of that stuff but as yet I've been unsure what to do with it - nothing car related as it'd barely cover one wing mirror lol so probably cover my phone or something. Not sure I'd do this on mine as the aluminium lifts the otherwise dark combination with my seats and trim.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

klarky

Post by klarky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:10 pm

im the same, black interior with silver trim, but i think of the wrap as a nice change plus it protects the trim too.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:46 pm

z4phill wrote:I took the seats out first then removed the center rear cuby just remove the two screws below the door and the two large ones under the cover at the top it all unclips without to much drama . once this is removed the console comes out by removing the two knee pads I put a screw driver on the lower side of the pad and prised them off then removed the screw covers it all just slides out
the console took me about 2 hours in total to remove put the wrap on and replace and while the seats where out give the the car a good vac , I took the car out for a run and and to show a couple of mates they cant belive the finish one said it looks like it left the showroom with that dash , I have no rattles only problem I have is I keep looking down at my new dash as I am driving I hope to stop doing this as I dont want to put the car through the hedge :whistle:
You took the seat out :o , no need to do that to remove the centre console.