Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

water pump life

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

water pump life

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:11 am

chanlon1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:51 pm
petrocelli wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:48 pm Thanks to all.
If you don't need to jack the engine up separately it may be something I can tackle at home.
My ramps will get the front of the car up about 10 inches which gives enough room for most stuff
I think the M54 engine requires the engine to be jacked up as the water pump is belt driven and you can't remove the pump until you take the belts off etc.
The N52 has an electrical water pump, so no belts to worry about and it's literally bolted onto the bottom of the engine with a couple of bolts. Couple of coolant pipes go in and out. From the videos and pics I've seen, it looks manageable. Something I plan on doing at some point.
All correct, except M54 jacking is so the attachment bolts clear the front frame as they are removed. Not an issue on the N53, which is surprisingly simple to do.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Roberltd2

water pump life

Post by Roberltd2 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:44 pm

Anyone got any figures for what the torque settings should be for the aluminium screws? Both for the water pump and the thermostat.
Thanks. :thumbsup:
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

water pump life

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:23 pm

Roberltd2 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:44 pm Anyone got any figures for what the torque settings should be for the aluminium screws? Both for the water pump and the thermostat.
Thanks. :thumbsup:
You’ll scoff but I gave the three pump bolts an educated tweak.
The two that mount the thermostat to the pump aren’t ally bolts
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Roberltd2

water pump life

Post by Roberltd2 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:13 pm

I have a feeling that my mechanic will probably do the same as well after decades in the business :D
I haven't booked her in yet.
It's going to be:
New brake calipers & pads for the rear wheels,
Clean up & rust treatment of the rear suspension units,
Annual engine oil & filter change and
Engine water pump & thermostat renewal.

Being as next month's paycheck is just round the corner I'm thinking of ordering a couple of Vanos solenoids from Opie and ask him to fit them in as well while he's got the car. Milage is 115 k miles by now.
Thanks.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.