Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shock absorbers - fooked or normal?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
tiglon

Shock absorbers - fooked or normal?

Post by tiglon » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:50 pm

I'd be interested to see what the results are.

3 of my shocks were replaced around the 40k mile mark (under warranty due to visible leaks, i believe), the other is still original at 73k miles and feels fine to me, but could well be completely shot and I'm just used to it. I did have a broken spring 18 months ago, on the corner with the original shock, not sure if that's a sign? :tumbleweed:

I'll be asking for them to be looked at closely during next service in August, hoping to have an excuse to upgrade them...

Even when shocks are in perfect condition, this is not a car with a lovely cosseting ride quality, it's niggly and a bit crashy in sport, and wallowy and floaty in comfort. Neither is great, compared to what I've experienced in other cars that are simultaneously firmer and more comfortable.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1