Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Low pulsating drone from new tyres?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:07 pm

Hi, Since having my rear tyres changed to Goodyear F1 assy 6 I have experienced a low pulsating drone from the rear behind my right ear. This did not seem to be there before I had them changed. I have removed the wheel and the tyre seems okay, I have wiggled the wheel on the car and found no play. This happens between 30 and 40 mph. Has anyone else had this happen or knows what it might be please? Mike.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:10 pm

Try swapping the wheels left to right and see if it moves. If so, then possibly an issue with that tyre. (Inspect it carefully when you swap them over).
If the noise stays where it is then maybe just something to do with that make of tyre and resonant frequencies.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

coldel

Post by coldel » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:12 pm

I guess try all the usual stuff, is the noise from inside or outside the car (safely stick your head out the window to check!) get a passenger in and get them to check where the noise is coming from as mentioned above noises bounce around and might not be coming from where you think they are. Try a drive by with a friend standing on the road side.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:18 pm

Thank you enuff _zed and coldel I will swap the wheels over when I get the time. My wife is usually in the car and can’t hear it, she says I’m just finding fault. :x If they were Chinese tyres I would have complained but Good Years?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.