Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 E89 Roof Issue

charlesritter

Z4 E89 Roof Issue

Post by charlesritter » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:45 am

Hello,
My 2011 Z4 3.0 has an intermittent roof problem, it stops mid cycle and then just doesnt work, you then have to open it again, and it still wont close. When it does close, it bongs constantly saying the roof is not closed properly. Sometimes you can't open the boot. Its been in to BMW about a year ago, they replaced a pump and re-set parameters.

Last week the same happened where it just wouldnt close so we took it to BMW again, and left it with them a week. They said that they "reset parameters" and tested it, its all ok.

Car got delivered back, and its been bonging every now and again saying roof problem, or roof not closed.

Car is in under BMW warranty.

Any help or suggestions? tempted to try another dealer, but unsure whether the outcome will be the same.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E89 Roof Issue

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:57 am

charlesritter wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:45 am Hello,
My 2011 Z4 3.0 has an intermittent roof problem, it stops mid cycle and then just doesnt work, you then have to open it again, and it still wont close. When it does close, it bongs constantly saying the roof is not closed properly. Sometimes you can't open the boot. Its been in to BMW about a year ago, they replaced a pump and re-set parameters.

Last week the same happened where it just wouldnt close so we took it to BMW again, and left it with them a week. They said that they "reset parameters" and tested it, its all ok.

Car got delivered back, and its been bonging every now and again saying roof problem, or roof not closed.

Any help or suggestions? tempted to try another dealer, but unsure whether the outcome will be the same.
Search the members for Robbi_Z4. When you find him you’ll see a link in his signature to a comprehensive maintenance guide for E89 roof issues.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

charlesritter

Z4 E89 Roof Issue

Post by charlesritter » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:27 am

Thank for your suggestion. I found him

Deepseaskateboard

Z4 E89 Roof Issue

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:47 am

It would also be worth reading all of the threads regarding roof issues on here. It’s unlikely you will have a unique problem.

You should get the error codes from the vehicle and look them up on here. Don’t assume bmw technicians would have done this.

I had a similar issue and I have read horror stories of bmw replacing the whole roof because they would rather do that than work through the problem.

I had to tell the technicians what the issue was with mine by doing research on here.

It’s usually micro switch wiring which needs fixing / replacing, or one of the microswitches themselves or both.

Often these are inexpensive fixes.

There are some more catastrophic failures with leaky hydraulic lines but I would say 99% are in the microswitch category as it’s a common point of failure.

I know it can seem daunting but get the codes, do the research and if you are still stumped, the forum people are here to help!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E89 Roof Issue

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 am

There does seem a common theme with BMW dealers and E89 roofs.....generally they haven't got a clue. :roll:

It almost seems as though the E89 roof section of their technical manuals has been lost or was never there!? :?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

javis20

Z4 E89 Roof Issue

Post by javis20 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:53 am

Get a proper BMW code reader like ISTA, or Bimmergeek ProTool and give us the codes. However, more than likely it's one of the boot closed microswitches in the boot. Easy DIY to replace. Both sides should be replaced.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E89 Roof Issue

Post by flybobbie » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:42 am

I don't get why any garage can't fix a car with so much stuff on internet.
Friend had car towed to garage, told car needed new cyl. head gasket. I said know it didn't.
Well garage smashed engine on reassembly, got timing wrong. My friend paid 300 for the privilege to release car and then bought 2nd hand engine.
It took me a few minutes speaking to dealer service desk and they told me it was egr valve from symptoms.
Then on internet raft of faults and fixes. Took me 10 minutes research. Think car was Vauxhall Vectra.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E89 Roof Issue

Post by flybobbie » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:49 am

charlesritter wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:45 am Hello,

They probably know but their fix is complete replacement of roof electrics and BMW warranty don't pay enough for the work involved.
Look up the common faults here and go to indy to fix.
Boils down to broken wires or boot limit switch, or even just loose connector.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E89 Roof Issue

Post by flybobbie » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:53 am

When i first acquired my Zed, it had a rear axle knocking noise two BMW dealers couldn't cure. By chance i found a 20 year old BMW bulletin, that led to a fix.
They don't even research their own data for fixes.