Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A hard day today

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

A hard day today

Post by Nanu » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:13 pm

Whilst my ills are minimal compared with others on this forum, today was not one I was looking forward to.

My 18 year old rescue cat which we have had for 16 years had to be put to sleep today after a progressive ailment coupled with old age. Keep telling myself what we did was in the best interests of the cat, which of course it was, but didn't make the process any easier.

On my 4th can and will down a few more before the evening is out.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

A hard day today

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:24 pm

The kindest people are those who take the hardest decision and don't allow their pets to suffer.
When you see what some people make their 'friends' put up with it is encouraging there are still people like you who treat them fairly and give them a peaceful and dignified end.
Raise the next can to yourself for being so kind to your cat at the expense of your own feelings.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

N4LLY

A hard day today

Post by N4LLY » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:47 pm

Damn ! Nanu, You done the right thing :thumbsup: Feel good ASAP.

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

1536Z4

A hard day today

Post by 1536Z4 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:02 pm

I think we are going to be in a similar situation before the year is out with our Fox Terrier . He can now only walk a short distance and we have bought him a stroller so we can " walk " him further to enjoy the sights sounds and smells . We have already discussed that when he can no longer enjoy himself we will have him put to sleep even though it will break our hearts . You did a good thing when you took in your cat and you have done the right and caring thing for your cat today .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Jollyjoiner

A hard day today

Post by Jollyjoiner » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:15 pm

Never a good time when we have to make these decisions but we all go through it for the right reasons. 30years of me and the wife having cats we lost our last one a year ago and she was 20, that was a tough day stopping at home with her waiting to take to the vets that evening. My thoughts go out to you and your family.
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

IRD

A hard day today

Post by IRD » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:41 pm

Pets are part of the family. When you lose one it is like losing a family member. We have two dogs and they have replaced our grown up children in many ways. Hope you soon feel better.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

A hard day today

Post by Pondrew » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:17 pm

It's horrible losing pets, moreso because you have to make the decision.
When it comes to people someone else does, or no-one.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

A hard day today

Post by john-e89 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:21 pm

As already said try to feel good for yourself….ive done the same and know the feeling but as enuff said it’s a kind caring pet owner that ends the suffering when the time is right, its horrible but you did good….proper job good…! :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

buzyg
Legend
Legend

A hard day today

Post by buzyg » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:51 pm

:(

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

A hard day today

Post by TitanTim » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:12 pm

Much better to be put to sleep humanely than prolonging any suffering, its always a hard decision but better for the little friend.

We had a Cairn Terrier for 16 years and he always came on holiday with us, we never left him alone. We then needed to go to Australia to visit my mums brother so had no choice but to put him a boarding kennel. 6 weeks later we came back and there was a note from my brother to say the dog had died. Called the vet and they still had him in a freezer :cry: Poor little fella had only lasted 2 days at the kennel.

Felt pretty guilty over that one :(

Tim.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

A hard day today

Post by MikeyH » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:38 pm

Yes, went through this hell when our gorgeous German Shepard had to be put to sleep 3 years ago, he was in pain and could hardly move around, not easy though, one of the worse days of my life. Cried my heart out for weeks. Rest assured, it’s a difficult thing to do but you did the right thing. They spend their lives with us and give so much love and affection it’s the last thing we can do for them to help them have an easy passing.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

A hard day today

Post by Pondrew » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:47 am

On a lighter note.......my wife spent the evening picking fleas off our Golden Retriever. She got 5 which is not a record for our mangey dog. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

A hard day today

Post by Nanu » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:53 am

Thanks for all the concern guys which is very much appreciated.

She gets cremated today and we will keep her ashes until we loose our other cat who is 12. They were a pair so their ashes will be put somewhere together when that time comes.

Cleo is feeling it this morning also, looking around the house and garden meowing. Our focus has to be on her now. She may be promoted to avatar status in due course.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

A hard day today

Post by paddy wright » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:44 am

Awful feeling- one I sadly had to experience last year when one of our girls had to go to sleep. Try to focus on the incredible life you gave her.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

pvr
Legend
Legend

A hard day today

Post by pvr » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:37 am

:( Don’t even go there
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo