Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Xenon lights is this normal

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
craiginuk

Post by craiginuk » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:35 pm

See short video below. Is this normal xenon behaviour? Lights dip down, then make a bit of a grinding noise and almost bottom out before they settle back up.

[youtube] https://youtu.be/SzPcR83AVvI?feature=shared[/youtube]
2007 3.0si E86 Coupe - Carbon Black

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:16 pm

The dip and return to normal doesn't seem unusual, but I've never heard that grinding noise.

So I'd guess there is a problem somewhere in the levelling system.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zowen

Post by Zowen » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:27 am

craiginuk wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:35 pm Lights dip down, then make a bit of a grinding noise and almost bottom out before they settle back up.
It almost sounds like the motor gets stuck a little or catches something at the bottom. the down and up is normal it's for self levelling (unsure of the purpose but looks cool)

NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:25 pm

Have the same sound as well. I am aware that the headlights do this to find its homing position when starting up, that way if you have a broken leveling sensor, like i coincidentally do right now, it is still able to keep the lights level.

My assumption is that the stepper motor tests the upper and lower limit

The leveling stepper motor is easily accessible via the bulb replacement hatch. Maybe a good idea to remove it and give it a quick check. Attached the relevant forum post here (which i coincidentally came across 6 hours ago) viewtopic.php?t=94238
Current: 2003 3.0is | Sterling Grey | Dream Red
Previous: Bicycle. Never owned a car before