Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone familiar with this Z?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Trumpetdude

Post by Trumpetdude » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:29 pm

Hey folks, going to view this Z4 on Friday. Being sold as a 'clearance' vehicle without tax and MoT. HPi and would suit enthusiast. I've got time and a little ££ on my hands so considering taking a punt, obviously I will have to get it transported - anyone one familiar with car?
98k miles approx
98k miles approx
Screenshot_20240402_192237_Auto Trader.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 298 times

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:58 am

No, don’t know the car but what engine and how much are they asking?
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:09 am

So it's a 2.0 4-pot N46 on a shade under 100k. Only done about 4k in the last 8 years!!
Very clean MOT history.
No mentions of EML etc, which is encouraging on that engine.
Good reg plate for a Naturally Aspirated Zed. :thumbsup:

Very hard to tell, but the shadows suggest it may have sports seats?

Apart from all the usual zed checks have a good read up on potential N46 issues which mostly come down to emissions, valvetronic faults and timing chain from what I can make out.
If there is good service history with it that would be encouraging, but the MOT history tends to suggest it has been well looked after.

The 2.0 won't light up the sprint charts, but I have found them to be extremely well balanced with the lighter engine putting more of its weight behind the front wheels.

Its a common colour so easier to find panels should you need any.

Depending what the price is and based purely on that one photo I'd say give it a go.

Don't forget that if you book it into an MOT you can drive it there and save transport costs. Could be worth the fifty quid outlay so you have a good starting point should it fail.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Trumpetdude

Post by Trumpetdude » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:15 am

paddy wright wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:58 am No, don’t know the car but what engine and how much are they asking?
It's 2.0 ands only £1500. Previous Mot from March '23 (Expired March 28th '24) only advised a brake pipe and front wheel bearing - which means nothing almost a year on. Car drives and stops afaik, viewing tomorrow. Taking a fault code reader with me, hoping they'll let me plug in.

Been through the YouTube hall of fame so hoping no horror stories are present.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:21 am

Trumpetdude wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:15 am
paddy wright wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:58 am No, don’t know the car but what engine and how much are they asking?
It's 2.0 ands only £1500. Previous Mot from March '23 (Expired March 28th '24) only advised a brake pipe and front wheel bearing - which means nothing almost a year on. Car drives and stops afaik, viewing tomorrow. Taking a fault code reader with me, hoping they'll let me plug in.

Been through the YouTube hall of fame so hoping no horror stories are present.
In fact the wheel bearing was a fail and must have been repaired to then get the pass.
So that only leaves the standard issue brake pipe one, and many MOT testers put that down to cover their backs. You could well find cleaning the grease off reveals perfectly good pipes.

If they don't let you put a code rerader on it they are hiding something so walk!

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Trumpetdude

Post by Trumpetdude » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:31 am

Fair point re-the reader. All the panels looked straight although the front left arch corner of the front bumper looked to have popped in one of the pics, hoping it's just a clip and something more nefarious. No idea if the hood is working but that's not a deal breaker and the interior did look 'clean'. Looking forward to seeing it. Thanks again.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:39 am

Enuff_zed has covered everything I would have suggested. Be sure to give the 2.0 a good inspection and test drive other than that for £1500 you can’t go far wrong.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:09 am

Just check with your insurer they are happy if your driving with no MOT even to a testing station as some insurers will invalidate the policy, daft as it sounds. I never realised this until recently.

Tim.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:10 am

TitanTim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:09 am Just check with your insurer they are happy if your driving with no MOT even to a testing station as some insurers will invalidate the policy, daft as it sounds. I never realised this until recently.

Tim.
But you can get a one day policy for just that eventuality if needed.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:16 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:10 am
TitanTim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:09 am Just check with your insurer they are happy if your driving with no MOT even to a testing station as some insurers will invalidate the policy, daft as it sounds. I never realised this until recently.

Tim.
But you can get a one day policy for just that eventuality if needed.
Yes best thing to do :thumbsup: I only realised at the last minute on my old Hyundai a few days before the MOT was due to expire, glad I checked with the insurer :? I was about to trade the car in a few days after the MOT expired and thought it would be OK to drive it to the garage on day of trade in as the MOT was also booked on the same say I was swapping the car, so technically I was on the way to a testing station but the insurance would have been invalidated. Glad I realised now, easily overlooked.

Tim.

Trumpetdude

Post by Trumpetdude » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:58 am

If it's a goer it'll be getting transported home as I'm 140miles away, would have kerbed to have taken it up through Northumberland but there's no tax on it either. Updates tomorrow!