Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof issue - Please help!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Karlos123

Post by Karlos123 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:19 pm

Hi fellow Zedders,

I have a roof issue and have been trying to fix this on and off for a while

Here’s the story….

One day the roof would not go up, and I had the red flashing light

Removed motor from drain/storage area and it was totally bone dry and looked brand new.

Relocated roof motor to boot.

Fluid topped up

Shelf microswitch bypassed

Current symptoms- Press button, windows drop and nothing happens, no noise from either motor, but if I manually wind it tighter towards the windscreen, then it works perfectly a few times (roof goes down and up like a Swiss watch!) but it then does the same again eventually (windows drop and nothing) its like its out of sync. Its like its not winding in enough to the windscreen when the roof goes up. I have disconnected the battery for 30 mins and reset the windows, but it always happens. When the roof works its great, nice and smooth. Sometimes the roof will go down but not all the way, it gets through 95% of the cycle but the windows wont go up and red flashing light comes on. The odd thing is that the roof occasionaly works perfectly, it will work 4/5 times and then play up.

I fitted a Gaptech a few years back but did a very thorough job on it, Im a soldering and heatshrink kinda guy! (no scotchlocks).

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful! I am always keen to try and fix things myself, but I think I have reached my limit with this now.

Just thought I would put it out there to you guys.

Thanks in advance!!

Karl
Last edited by Karlos123 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 E85 2.0

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:24 pm

I would think if it used to work and you haven't touched anything on the front then it may be something as simple as the hooks and their recptacles on the windscreen frame need cleaning out and a light smear of grease applied to ensure they move more freely.
Try that first.

How did you cure the inital issue with it not going up? Once you'd moved the motor how did you get it working again?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Karlos123

Post by Karlos123 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:55 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to say in my origional post that yesterday it was working ok but then the roof went down but didnt follow the cycle all the way through, ie windows didnt go back up again, and had the flashing red light, so wouldnt go back up again. I fitted a GapTech a few years ago and did a very through job of it (no scotchlocks- I soldered it).

I will try that and check the hooks over/clean, grease etc.. thanks for that suggestion.

I got the roof working again by manually closing it and once its closed tight enough at the frame, it will open again, I wonder if its a sensor there.

Im baffled by it all, it sometimes wont go down, and sometimes it wont go up, if it was dodgy wiring surely it would sometimes stop half way through the cycle?
2008 E85 2.0

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:29 pm

Karlos123 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:55 pm Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to say in my origional post that yesterday it was working ok but then the roof went down but didnt follow the cycle all the way through, ie windows didnt go back up again, and had the flashing red light, so wouldnt go back up again. I fitted a GapTech a few years ago and did a very through job of it (no scotchlocks- I soldered it).

I will try that and check the hooks over/clean, grease etc.. thanks for that suggestion.

I got the roof working again by manually closing it and once its closed tight enough at the frame, it will open again, I wonder if its a sensor there.

Im baffled by it all, it sometimes wont go down, and sometimes it wont go up, if it was dodgy wiring surely it would sometimes stop half way through the cycle?
Regardless of the quality of your connections, I would suggest that until you rule out the Gaptech you'll never know. I think I would be tempted to disconnect that first.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Karlos123

Post by Karlos123 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:34 pm

Ok, many thanks for your thoughts on this, I will disconnect the Gaptech to rule that out as a potential problem.

Thanks again enuff-zed. :thumbsup:
2008 E85 2.0

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:28 pm

Karlos123 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:34 pm Ok, many thanks for your thoughts on this, I will disconnect the Gaptech to rule that out as a potential problem.

Thanks again enuff-zed. :thumbsup:
No worries. Let's hope step 1 fixes it. :thumbsup:

Karlos123

Post by Karlos123 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:29 pm

Hi there, quick update… I removed the Gaptech and it’s not made any difference, although sometimes the roof works ok for a few cycles and then stops. It’s so odd! I had it working ok today and then when I tried it after work the roof/latch motor made a noise and then nothing happened and red light started flashing again.

I checked the wiring loom and that looks ok, I removed the fabric cover and the wires look ok where it bends/attaches to the roof frame.

Would Creator scanning tool read the codes for the roof? I’m thinking of getting a scanning tool but don’t have a laptop, and creator is handheld all in one. Would that read the codes ok?

Appreciate any advice you could provide! 😀
2008 E85 2.0

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:55 pm

Karlos123 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:29 pm I checked the wiring loom and that looks ok, I removed the fabric cover and the wires look ok where it bends/attaches to the roof frame.
It’s a tough one to diagnose. When I had a dodgy roof I traced it back to the red wire in the loom. The loom and individual wires looked OK from the outside, but the wire itself had broken inside the sheath. This had the effect of holding the two pieces of wire in contact some of the time causing the roof to work part-cycle only. You really need to test continuity in each of the wires, that red wire particularly. Easy to fix if you can find the problem.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Karlos123

Post by Karlos123 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:08 pm

Thanks Zedebee, appreciate the reply, ok cool… I will dig out the multimeter and check each wire, I just assumed they looked ok but as you say looks can be deceiving. When it actually works it operates perfectly, mechanically it seems fine, which does make me think it’s an electrical issue.

Thanks again for your advice!
2008 E85 2.0

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:42 pm

Have you tried a replacement control module

Karlos123

Post by Karlos123 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:47 am

Hi Enuffzed, I haven’t, and it was something that I have considered, they don’t look too expensive, and might be worth a punt. I will give the loom and good check over, and if that looks good then I think I will swap the control module, it has to be an electrical issue as when it’s working its great, the motors are quiet and nothing mechanical sounds stressed, and as it’s intermittent it must be wiring or the control module.

Thanks for your comment/advice.
2008 E85 2.0

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:24 am

Karlos123 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:47 am Hi Enuffzed, I haven’t, and it was something that I have considered, they don’t look too expensive, and might be worth a punt. I will give the loom and good check over, and if that looks good then I think I will swap the control module, it has to be an electrical issue as when it’s working its great, the motors are quiet and nothing mechanical sounds stressed, and as it’s intermittent it must be wiring or the control module.

Thanks for your comment/advice.
Depending where you are, there are a few of us dotted about the UK who have spare modules.
If you happened to be near me I'd happily let you swap one in as a diagnostic check.

Edit: Am I right in thinking Hampshire? I'm heading to Southampton on the 24th April if that's any help?

Karlos123

Post by Karlos123 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:54 am

Hi enuff-zed, so sorry! I have only just seen your last message from Friday. I actually ordered an ECU on Friday but thanks so much for the offer of the use of your spare one, I have bought one from Quarry Motors which is claimed to be fully working and tested (£32). It will be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to seeing if that fixes the issue. I am in Basingstoke and am very fortunate to be near RBM in Hook, but I do enjoy spannering and trying to fix things myself. so if this doesnt fix the issue then I will bite the bullet and get them to look at it. Thanks for the offer of swinging by with an ECU! I will let you know how I get on, fingers crossed. Funnily enough, I had roof issues on an E36 I owned in 2006, I spent ages trying to fix it, with lots of swearing and head scratching, I eventually bought a roof ECU from Quarry Motors, and I will never forget the feeling of pressing the button and watching the roof move, I danced around the car punching the air with joy! hopefully I will be dancing again soon. :rofl: :D

Thanks again for your help/advice :thumbsup:
2008 E85 2.0

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:17 am

Karlos123 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:54 am Hi enuff-zed, so sorry! I have only just seen your last message from Friday. I actually ordered an ECU on Friday but thanks so much for the offer of the use of your spare one, I have bought one from Quarry Motors which is claimed to be fully working and tested (£32). It will be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to seeing if that fixes the issue. I am in Basingstoke and am very fortunate to be near RBM in Hook, but I do enjoy spannering and trying to fix things myself. so if this doesnt fix the issue then I will bite the bullet and get them to look at it. Thanks for the offer of swinging by with an ECU! I will let you know how I get on, fingers crossed. Funnily enough, I had roof issues on an E36 I owned in 2006, I spent ages trying to fix it, with lots of swearing and head scratching, I eventually bought a roof ECU from Quarry Motors, and I will never forget the feeling of pressing the button and watching the roof move, I danced around the car punching the air with joy! hopefully I will be dancing again soon. :rofl: :D

No problem. I assume you know how to get at the module? If you have smallish hands you can pop the grill off behind the passenger seat and get at it through there.

Karlos123

Post by Karlos123 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:39 am

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:17 am
Karlos123 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:54 am Hi enuff-zed, so sorry! I have only just seen your last message from Friday. I actually ordered an ECU on Friday but thanks so much for the offer of the use of your spare one, I have bought one from Quarry Motors which is claimed to be fully working and tested (£32). It will be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to seeing if that fixes the issue. I am in Basingstoke and am very fortunate to be near RBM in Hook, but I do enjoy spannering and trying to fix things myself. so if this doesnt fix the issue then I will bite the bullet and get them to look at it. Thanks for the offer of swinging by with an ECU! I will let you know how I get on, fingers crossed. Funnily enough, I had roof issues on an E36 I owned in 2006, I spent ages trying to fix it, with lots of swearing and head scratching, I eventually bought a roof ECU from Quarry Motors, and I will never forget the feeling of pressing the button and watching the roof move, I danced around the car punching the air with joy! hopefully I will be dancing again soon. :rofl: :D

No problem. I assume you know how to get at the module? If you have smallish hands you can pop the grill off behind the passenger seat and get at it through there.
Yes, I have already accessed the module through the grill, looks pretty straight forward, although a bit tight in there, should be ok. Thanks again.
2008 E85 2.0