Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Why engines sound different?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MonsterZ4

Post by MonsterZ4 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:54 pm

Hello folks.
Sorry if this is a daft Q, but I don’t have the required knowledge to answer it.
Why is it that engines of similar configuration sound so different? A TVR Speed 6 sounds utterly glorious, yet a Z4 3.0 or 3.2 although nice, sound totally different.
Why is this?
I love my Z4 but it’s about as close to a TVR as I’ll ever get (yes, I know that TVR’s have their issues, but they’ve always been a dream car for me).
Cheers anyway.
Mark.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:11 pm

So many factors in why an engines sound different. Think of it as a cars voice and equate that to us. We all sound different and we are set up to notice even small differences. Engines breath in and out. Induction and exhaust. They rev at different rates. Some pant like dogs, some howl like wolves. The S54 screams like an enchanted banshee at high revs. One of the thing I loved most about my Z4 was that noise in the dead of night on a cool winters eve. If you want a different sound play with the the way the car breathes and all kinds can be done.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:12 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:11 pm So many factors in why an engines sound different. Think of it as a cars voice and equate that to us. We all sound different and we are set up to notice even small differences. Engines breath in and out. Induction and exhaust. They rev at different rates. Some pant like dogs, some howl like wolves. The S54 screams like an enchanted banshee at high revs. One of the thing I loved most about my Z4 was that noise in the dead of night on a cool winters eve. If you want a different sound play with the the way the car breaths and all kinds can be done.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:19 pm

I always understood that TVR’s own engines had a flat-plane crank which accounted for their distinctive sound, but this may just have been from reading about the AJP8 once upon a time (hence it sounded more like a Ferrari than an American V8 which all used a cross-plane crank).
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:53 pm

There are just so many different factors of an internal combustion engine and exhaust system that no two manufacturers have identical sounds. One of my favourites is the wonderful 5.2L "Voodoo" V8 found in the Mustang GT350, which for such a large capacity engine, can spin up to 8200 rpm and this is also a flat pane crank and it sounds completely different to the masters of flat plane V8's, Ferrari.

Though, there is another, watch Henry Catchpole driving for EVO in an Aventador SV on the TT and then tell me that isn't the greatest sounding car of all time. :thumbsup:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:42 am

Once you’ve heard a Merlin-engined Spitfire do a high speed pass you’ll stop worrying about car noises :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:42 am

Brand engineers design the sound to attract their intended market along with making it comply with relevant legislation and so on.
In electronics for example Nikon specifically designed the noise their camera shutter release makes to give a feeling of quality. They could have made it silent if they wanted to.

Hilly30si

Post by Hilly30si » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:46 pm

I to love the TVR V8s glorious growl. My Triumph TR6 straight 6 has a sound like no other, then you have the V12s so distinctive. Love car engines
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster