Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Deepseaskateboard

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:49 pm

Hello all, I recently had by front bumper removed, but when it was put back, the panel gaps to the front wings are huge.

I have seen on here people saying brackets can be adjusted.

Could someone take a picture of what I need to adjust to get a better fit?

Bumper removal story coming soon... need to get some pics together!

Thanks!

Busterboo

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by Busterboo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:41 am

(Should be an interesting thread.
When I bought my E89, I was surprised how wide the gaps are 'normally'. When I ran into the rear bumper of a driver who'd set off onto a roundabout and then decided to stop immediately, I was surprised how 'well' the Z bumper pops out at each side to allow it to absorb impact and how neatly it pops back in. As for adjustment, however, I have no idea, so ... )
Vidi, vici, veni

tiglon

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by tiglon » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:50 am

I don't have any pictures, but if I remember correctly you have to pull the wheel liner away a little (don't need to remove completely) and there's one of these:

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/product ... gMQAvD_BwE

You can loosen it slightly and adjust. I found it very fiddly, but not really difficult.

I'm not sure it adjusts the panel gaps themselves, it's more for lining up the bumper with the wings and having them flush rather than the corners of the bumper panel sticking out after a gentle impact.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by flybobbie » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:36 am

I find there just isn't enough adjustment to get the gaps closed up.
I even tried bending the brackets, made situation worse.
Also large gaps around head lights.
If pushed back a gap appears at the bottom.
Seems lens is about 5-8mm all around smaller than the hole they fit in.

They use a black plastic bracket to hold bumper, so that sits in gap, about 2-3mm thick.
On top of that the bonnet has to move slightly to latch, so the gap will always be 4mm upwards.
So can settle with 6mm gap.
I spent 2 hours plus adjusting and still not happy.
I cussed BMW for not having more adjustment directions.

I was trying to make gaps same as gap between wing and bonnet.

Deepseaskateboard

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:54 pm

I will take some pics...

Marcoose

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by Marcoose » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:04 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:49 pm I recently had by front bumper removed
Fess up, what did you crash into ? Drunk again ?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

matsmith749

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by matsmith749 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:49 am

I had some issues with the alignment when i bought mine. BMW installed new brackets for the sides, but was not hugely better.

I also had about a 10mm gap along the front where the bumper meets the bonnet. Under the bonnet there is a large rubber trim where it meets the bumper with about 6x screws - loosen these & give a little push.

This closed up the bonnet gap to about 5mm, and the sides dropped into proper alignment.

Might be worth a look.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

jenniferlouise

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by jenniferlouise » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:20 am

I’ve never tried to pull mine in a little further after a full removal respray - which looks awesome - so will also follow this. I’d previously looked at the hanging brackets but doesn’t appear much adjustment. I’d planned to maybe pack them out to move the final fixing back and hence close the gap a little. Looking at others - yes, I’m that nosey - there appears big differences in the fit. I do like the idea of loosening a few fixings along the bonnet line and ‘push’ the nose up a bit. Will likely give that a go…

Deepseaskateboard

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:05 pm

Thanks for the replies all! I will see what I can do, once we get a sunny afternoon!

Deepseaskateboard

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:06 pm

Marcoose wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:04 am
Deepseaskateboard wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:49 pm I recently had by front bumper removed
Fess up, what did you crash into ? Drunk again ?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
My story is far better.

BMW did a full corrosion inspection 11 years 11 months into the 12 year corrosion guarantee and fixed / resprayed a bunch of things. Was very kind of them!

Gwest44

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by Gwest44 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:12 pm

When you say a bunch of things do you mind me what specifically you mean?

I've previously benefitted from the roof top panel replacement under warranty due to the all to common worm trail problem but never thought to turn the tables and ask the local dealer to inspect the car to highlight other areas that need attention :thumbsup:
Sapphire Black 23i
Previously 8xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's

Deepseaskateboard

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 pm

They did an inspection of the bonnet area and an investigation of the wings. They found corrosion and then fixed / resprayed the chassis legs and engine bay.

They checked the car over for any more, but they found corrosion inside the front wings.

That 12 year guarantee is amazing and well worth getting them to have a look. Keeps the Zeds fresh!

Gwest44

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by Gwest44 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:27 pm

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 pm They did an inspection of the bonnet area and an investigation of the wings. They found corrosion and then fixed / resprayed the chassis legs and engine bay.

They checked the car over for any more, but they found corrosion inside the front wings.

That 12 year guarantee is amazing and well worth getting them to have a look. Keeps the Zeds fresh!
Totally agree and think that's a great idea.

When I took my previous E89 to the local Sytner garage for them to inspect the roof panel - the paint shop manager told me they love doing the warranty work for customers knowing BMW will foot the bill.

So I guess it makes sense for them to do a thorough investigation in order to increase the extent of the work they complete :thumbsup:
Sapphire Black 23i
Previously 8xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's

Deepseaskateboard

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:31 pm

Gwest44 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:27 pm
Deepseaskateboard wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 pm They did an inspection of the bonnet area and an investigation of the wings. They found corrosion and then fixed / resprayed the chassis legs and engine bay.

Totally agree and think that's a great idea.

When I took my previous E89 to the local Sytner garage for them to inspect the roof panel - the paint shop manager told me they love doing the warranty work for customers knowing BMW will foot the bill.

So I guess it makes sense for them to do a thorough investigation in order to increase the extent of the work they complete :thumbsup:
Yeah, they were really great and did a quality job. Apart from re-fitting the bumper of course!

jenniferlouise

Front Bumper Panel Gaps

Post by jenniferlouise » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:42 pm

I’ve had another look at mine today…
it’s already adjusted as far up across the front as far as it will go.
The option of packing out behind the side hanging brackets would seemingly open the gap (against the wing) due to the angle of it, so that’s a non-starter.
Can’t see how that bracket can be raised (looking for 5mm), so now considering a bit of ‘readjustment’ by the local Bodyshop, unless someone comes up with a better plan…
Or, just live with it; no-one else would notice it tbh