Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension refresh/upgrade

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Kshib

Post by Kshib » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:26 pm

Hi everyone! I picked up a 2011 35i manual with 100k miles this past Fall. The price was right and I have been wanting a toy to wrench on. Well I think this thing is definitely going to keep me busy. My next project is going to be the suspension. This all started with a ruptured fluid filled bushing. I have so far picked up the following:

-M3 control arms
-Eibach pro springs
-Bilstein b8 struts
-all new parts for the strut assembly’s including strut bearings and whatnot.

Before diving into this, what else should I take care of while everything is apart? I’m not building a race car but I’m all for some performance improvements along the way.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:46 pm

Good starts..if a bit harsh ride on the Eibachs..

Decent RTABs, adjustable rear camber arms, new factory rear link bushes, Meyle HD tie rod ends ..would be next :thumbsup:

Plus some decent wubber :driving:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Kshib

Post by Kshib » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:52 am

Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll continue to do some research! The tie rods and RTABs make a ton of sense to me. How needed are the adjustable rear camber arms? Does the rare camber become a concern with the lowering of Eibach springs? What I liked about the Eibach springs was that drop was pretty minimal. I am a little concerned with the change in ride quality. Especially after picking up some aftermarket 19 inch wheels. Thanks again!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:37 am

As you lower the car the rear camber increases markedly…you’ll probably run out of adjustment on stock rear camber arms.

Also without adjustable toe plates difficult to get toe in and camber well adjusted.

Stock rear camber is excessive for more ‘sports’ capable drivers..2.0 ish better imho ..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Gingerlomax

Post by Gingerlomax » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:02 pm

I have Eibach Springs pared with Koni struts and Meyle HD tie rod's and a fast road setup and the difference in the car is night and day. Highly recommend doing.
2010 Black E89 35i

dumaurier7

Post by dumaurier7 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:42 am

Hi, anyone tried the BC coilovers?

Kshib

Post by Kshib » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:23 pm

I went ahead and picked up some HD tie rods for this initial suspension project. I’ll see how it feels after the struts, springs, M3 control arms and tie rods. Hopefully they will be able to get the alignment where we want it. Otherwise I’ll be telling B21 he told me so…

Does anyone have a diagram for building the front strut/spring assembly? I don’t plan to pull the OEM assembly apart as I think I have ordered all the parts to build new complete sets. Some additional confirmation would be much appreciated!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 pm

Kshib wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:23 pm I went ahead and picked up some HD tie rods for this initial suspension project. I’ll see how it feels after the struts, springs, M3 control arms and tie rods. Hopefully they will be able to get the alignment where we want it. Otherwise I’ll be telling B21 he told me so…

Does anyone have a diagram for building the front strut/spring assembly? I don’t plan to pull the OEM assembly apart as I think I have ordered all the parts to build new complete sets. Some additional confirmation would be much appreciated!
I offer an unconditional guarantee on all my advice…if followed correctly and in full :thumbsup:

Enjoy the journey :driving: