Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I replaced the windscreen trim and.......

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
hsyben

Post by hsyben » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:24 am

I watched the 'How to...' vids on YouTube. It looked easy and was. I cleaned out any gunk and press-fitted the new trim - 'job's a goodun.'

2 weeks later I have a crack emanating from the edge and will have to replace the windscreen. I guess that I must have chipped the edge or put it under stress. Seeing that the trim is merely cosmetic I think that I should have left it alone!

darich

Post by darich » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:53 am

That''s really unlucky. I replaced mine a few months back without issue. I did read of a few folk chipping glass and having problems so I was quite careful
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:02 pm

hsyben wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:24 am 2 weeks later I have a crack emanating from the edge and will have to replace the windscreen
I have been banging on about this for a while now after reading about a guy in the US who cracked his windscreen doing his . It depends on how the screen was put in at the factory as I believe some had more sealant applied than others and not always accurately . This means that some will come out with "no" problem and others will need to have the windscreen taken out . I had mine done by a windscreen fitter and he said he would not suggest to anyone to change the seal themselves . I know its more business for the windscreen fitters but is it worth taking the risk . Its that or throw a brick at it and claim on the insurance :) Hope you get it sorted ok . :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .