Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project Spa - Delivered!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:14 am

x_rays wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:21 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:03 pm These have fine filters which can block, meaning oil doesn’t get to the solenoids quite quick enough on start up.
Microfilter has been replaced with last oil change, according to invoice by Gilberts.
Janis.
Thanks. That is the pollen filter in the cabin 👍🏻
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:12 pm

No progress today. Spent the day in Gorleston replacing all the discs and pads on a 3.0i.
Came home to find a set of Bilstein front struts and Lemforder top mounts on the doorstep, ready for another owner to get the front suspension replaced.
Then managed to track down a centre airbag module for another owner which needs sorting asap for the MOT.

Word of advice: don't retire and start playing with zeds. It gets out of control. :rofl:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:00 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:12 pm Word of advice: don't retire and start playing with zeds. It gets out of control.
Sounds like it's becoming a nice little business. And you love it! Win win. :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:18 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:00 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:12 pm Word of advice: don't retire and start playing with zeds. It gets out of control.
Sounds like it's becoming a nice little business. And you love it! Win win. :D
Sorry dear, no time to help in the garden again today. :thumbsup: :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:51 pm

Well the rain finally stopped so I'm starting to dive in to clean out these two vanos non-return valve/filters.
The rocker gasket leak isn't making it much fun, so while I'm waiting for the degreaser to do its thing I thought I'd put a wee request on here.

The car is missing the upper headlight access panels from the arch liners on both sides.

I am making a cheeky appeal to anyone on the forum who may be able to help out with these while keeping Wayo11's costs within budget.

If we can't get hold of any then I will be attempting a temporary solution using 'speed-tape'. Worked on Tornados so should be ok. :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:12 pm

Well in the end the dreaded job only took an hour to get the filters out.
No way can this be done from above unless you own a trained mouse!
General location.JPG
General location.JPG (56.67 KiB) Viewed 262 times
In there somewhere.JPG
In there somewhere.JPG (55.01 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Wheel off and arch liner removed. Then you can just about see the lower filter. (All the following photos are taken through the wheel arch). Luckily I just about had enough reach with my 3/8 extension bars.
Lower one.JPG
Lower one.JPG (56.12 KiB) Viewed 262 times
The filters aren't magnetic so once unscrewed they were a little tricky to pull out.
The lower filter didn't actually look too bad, but dropping it in a bath of plusgas soon saw plenty of black oil seep out.
Lower.JPG
Lower.JPG (75.21 KiB) Viewed 262 times
On to the upper filter and I immediately realised I couldn't even see it.
However, by removing the bracket that supports the loom the upper one came into view.
On the upper one.JPG
On the upper one.JPG (56.66 KiB) Viewed 262 times
The state of this one was another story!
Upper.JPG
Upper.JPG (75.1 KiB) Viewed 262 times
I believe the upper one feeds the intake vanos, so i am pinning my faint hopes on this causing the 'Vanos inlet' code.

Now to do the 'refitting is simply the reverse of removal' bit and pray.
This is where they go back to, hopefully.
Holes once removed.JPG
Holes once removed.JPG (61.03 KiB) Viewed 262 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:45 pm

Back indoors, all done. Including the cleaning and stopping to take photos, post updates, etc., it was less than three hours from wheeling the jack out to putting the last tools away. Better than I expected.
I soaked the filters for a good 20 minutes and agitated with a toothbrush. The results were quite shocking. The amount of debris, including a lot a shiny metal bits at least showed the filters did their job.
After first soak.JPG
After first soak.JPG (35.09 KiB) Viewed 242 times
View through filter.JPG
View through filter.JPG (19.97 KiB) Viewed 242 times
First debris.JPG
First debris.JPG (40.82 KiB) Viewed 242 times
I did a second 10 minute soak and there was still stuff coming out.
Second soak.JPG
Second soak.JPG (28.83 KiB) Viewed 242 times
The third time was clear though so i put it all back together.

Annoyingly the symptoms are still there! At least I've ruled out those filters.
Next step will be eccentric cam sensor when it arrives.
Doing things one at a time will hopefully aid others when (and IF :cry: ) I nail down the culprit.

EDIT: Almost forgot: I had heard that if the oil filter cage is missing or dislodged it can allow the filter to collapse and allow unfiltered oil through. Checked that and all good, so one more potential issue ticked off.

1536Z4

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by 1536Z4 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:58 pm

Such fun isn`t it :) Shame it didn`t solve the problem but definitely needed doing . Cant help with the wheel arch covers i`m afraid hope someone will have some lying about .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

pvr
Legend
Legend

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by pvr » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:01 pm

Bet you cleaned the washer bottle whilst you were at it there as well :lol:

My washer filters looked like that as well :wink:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:01 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:58 pm Such fun isn`t it :) Shame it didn`t solve the problem but definitely needed doing . Cant help with the wheel arch covers i`m afraid hope someone will have some lying about .
Very frustrating chasing faults like this.
On the plus side, I finally found a job that bigwinn hadn't already done before. :rofl:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:03 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:01 pm Bet you cleaned the washer bottle whilst you were at it there as well :lol:

Funny you should say that. I did! Not refitted yet as it's one less thing in the way when I do the top cover etc.
As it happens though, this is the very first one I've had that has a washer level sensor fitted! Every car seems to have the moulding to fit one on the outside, but never seen one installed before. Is this a facelift thing?

pvr
Legend
Legend

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by pvr » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:06 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:03 pm
pvr wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:01 pm Bet you cleaned the washer bottle whilst you were at it there as well :lol:

Funny you should say that. I did! Not refitted yet as it's one less thing in the way when I do the top cover etc.
As it happens though, this is the very first one I've had that has a washer level sensor fitted! Every car seems to have the moulding to fit one on the outside, but never seen one installed before. Is this a facelift thing?
I have that as well yes, hence fairly gentle in cleaning, I was worried that I would get the warning light if I cleaned it a bit too enthouastically :)
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by bigwinn » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:08 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:01 pm
1536Z4 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:58 pm Such fun isn`t it :) Shame it didn`t solve the problem but definitely needed doing . Cant help with the wheel arch covers i`m afraid hope someone will have some lying about .
On the plus side, I finally found a job that bigwinn hadn't already done before. :rofl:
*yet

Spanners being warmed up as we speak

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:24 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:08 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:01 pm
*yet

Spanners being warmed up as we speak
Check my photos to be sure you have long enough extension bars. I found I could reach over the wing to support them whilst I turned.

Torx T40

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:55 pm

Another day, another small step.
Bit short of time amongst other commitments so not done very much really.
Removed the top cover. Already knew it had leaky gaskets and of course it had to come off to replace the oiled up Eccentric Cam Sensor (ECS)
It's a bit of a fiddle to remove on your own, with a loom passing over the top and not wanting to disconnect every plug as some parts of the loom disappear into the depths. I found by removing the loom from the plastic carrier along the bottom edge of the cover it gave me enough space to ease the cover out forwards. May need an extra pair of hands to refit it I feel.
Cover off.JPG
Cover off.JPG (68.42 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Before the cover can come off you need to remove the valvetronic servo motor. I bench tested it with a battery and it spins freely in both directions.
Servo motor.JPG
Servo motor.JPG (64.41 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Once the cover was off I set it aside with a liberal dosing of degreaser. The oil in the photo has come from the top of the cover, which is supposed to be dry. The brittle lump of rubber and metal that was supposed to be the servo motor seal has long since relinquished its responsibilities!
Top cover and oil.JPG
Top cover and oil.JPG (67.53 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Old servo motor seal.JPG
Old servo motor seal.JPG (67.1 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Then I removed the old ECS and fitted the new one. A fiddly job as even though the bolt holes in the sensor are designed to grip the bolts, you are still acutely aware of what happens if you drop one into the depths!
ECS 1.JPG
ECS 1.JPG (45.39 KiB) Viewed 153 times
ECS 2.JPG
ECS 2.JPG (45.53 KiB) Viewed 153 times
ECS 3.JPG
ECS 3.JPG (29.56 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Old ECS in situ.JPG
Old ECS in situ.JPG (59.33 KiB) Viewed 153 times
New ECS in situ.JPG
New ECS in situ.JPG (56.1 KiB) Viewed 153 times
I was relieved to find the vanos unit in one piece as I had read stories of some earlier versions shearing their bolt heads.
Inlet vanos.JPG
Inlet vanos.JPG (56.58 KiB) Viewed 153 times

And that is as far as I got today.
Having used large quantities of Surfex with a stiff brush, I hosed off the top cover and have left it to dry.
Time and weather permitting I will attempt to put it all back together tomorrow.