Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Amp upgrade suggestions for 676 stereo

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:00 pm

Hey, I’m keen on upgrading the amp with my 676 stereo with 9 speaker set up (11 if you include the door tweeters)

So far, it appears it’s either the Audiotec Fischer Match8 (the Match7 now discontinued) or Musway M6V3 are the only drop in replacements, is this the only options? I think the Musway would need a connector plate too. Not cheap though.

Annoyingly I haven’t seen one second hand either here or on eBay / Facebook, which I’d be happy with, like hens teeth.

I’m not against wiring in a different model so open to suggestions, but ease is preferred.

So, what have you done, and what would you recommend? I’ve upgraded the door / footwell/ shoulder speakers so this is the next logical step to better audio.

Thanks!

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:18 pm

Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:13 pm

I used the Match 7 with good results but added a separate Alpine amp for the sub woofers..

I’m surprised there’s a Match 7 in stock as it’s been obsoleted for a while.

A Match 8 is a better proposition if you don’t want to have under powered subs without an additional amp.

The Musway has been used by some folks again with good results..but I would say the Match is a bit better.

In most cases some frigging of the wiring is required as the E89 uniquely has woofers as well as subs..

Need better subs as well….the 676 ones are not that wonderful…

All IMHO..

See..

viewtopic.php?t=116918
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:18 am

Thanks for all your input.

I'd been watching a few of these amps on eBay, and been offered the Match7 for £575, and the Musway for £515, both new - given the lack of other options I may go for one of these. Bit more than I wanted to spend but also the cheapest they've been for some time.

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:39 pm

Due to some good fortune - paid for a job I’d written off months ago, and eBay’s recent 20% off - I picked up the Match8 BMW. Massive improvement, even just out of the box. However, the footwell woofers aren’t working, which seems to be fairly standard, as you say.

What are the options here? I’d like to drive them all off the same amp, being 8 channels it makes sense. As far as I can tell, the supplied loom doesn’t have the right wires in place though?

I’m learning about the DSP software so maybe there’s a setting there to an activate the channel, but it’s not obvious, yet.

Are the only options to either jury rig the extra wires in (no idea how) or ditch the centre channel and run the woofers through that? Or is there a better way?

There isn’t a specific z4 setting file on the Audiotec Fischer website either, which may not be helping.

Thanks!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:11 pm

The harness is for 3/5/7/x series so doesn’t know about the woofers..

You have to break out the two woofers cables that are wired together ..originally they are both driven as one summer channel..which imho is daft..that are patched and end near the amp wiring and then cut the harness in some way or another ..

Yiu can use VCP to re assign channels to suit..

So yiu have to decide as you have 9 possible speaker sets to drive but only 8 channels…

Personally I’d drive the two subs off one channel and use the other 7 channels to drive the other 7 speaker sets,,assuming you’ve actually bought the match 8
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:26 pm

Thanks again - fortunately I didn't completely redo all the boot trim, so is easy to get it back out again! It's definitely the Match UP8 BMW.

Will investigate further, and see what I can do.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:31 pm

The new version of the DSP pc s/w does a good job..if it helps I can send my match 10 version for the e89 which although it’s a little different with 10 channels will give you an idea of how to set it up..

Have you got a decent Mike yo set up the time /phase alignment and parametric equalisation?

Pm me your email address and then you can load it in your DSP v5 s/w to get a start..that is if you need any help..

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:10 pm

B21 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:31 pm The new version of the DSP pc s/w does a good job..if it helps I can send my match 10 version for the e89 which although it’s a little different with 10 channels will give you an idea of how to set it up..

Have you got a decent Mike yo set up the time /phase alignment and parametric equalisation?

Pm me your email address and then you can load it in your DSP v5 s/w to get a start..that is if you need any help..
Thanks that would be great - PM'ing you now, any help appreciated. A mic is very much on the cards, just wanting to get the base install set up first, before getting int the perfect set up. Slightly annoyed the woofers have put a spanner in the works.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:49 pm

Yup the woofers don't figure in most suppliers plans..IMHO a decent woofer makes a big big impact!

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:01 pm

It’d be a shame to loose them, that’s for sure. I’ve upgraded the speakers and from looking around they add punch to the sound - from my experience even with the stock amp that’s the case.

I’ve taken the match loom off, and been comparing the standard Match 8DSP amp outputs to the Match 8BMW, alongside the main connector to the BMW hardness and think there are a few options to this- long story short, one of the channels on the BMW match variant is unused. I’m sure you know this, but slowly understanding the problem.

I’m gonna spend a bit of time with it tomorrow to conjure up a few solutions and will not doubt hit you up again for some sage advice.

At this stage, I’m guessing the standard 8DSP with a Technics harness would likely have been a better solution, at slightly more cost, but think there’s mileage here.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:11 pm

Not sure what an open Technics harness achieves ..the standard match 8 new harness with minor changes imho is your best option..

As you are learning it’s never easy on E89s..they look like E90s but not just quite close enough..

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:24 pm

The techics suggestion was just because its reasonably plug and play - it'd use all the channels on the amp, and could be wired up relatively easily. Just exploring options.

Right now, I've hit a roadblock. I thought swapping on the Match loom amp side, to use the unused channel would be the fix - but I'v done that, and no dice, but that could be my bodge not connecting.

However, Im starting to think what I need to do is adjust the wiring where it goes to the BMW loom. I've looked at the BMW connector and the match connector, and can see missing pins.

So to clarify, which pins need swapping around?

Thanks again - im happy to hack around, but my knowledge of electronics and BMW specifics is pretty basic. I haven't wired a stereo into a car for 20 years- much simpler back then!
IMG_7001.jpeg
IMG_7001.jpeg (113.28 KiB) Viewed 242 times
IMG_7012.jpeg
IMG_7012.jpeg (111.75 KiB) Viewed 242 times
IMG_7013.jpeg
IMG_7013.jpeg (72.11 KiB) Viewed 242 times

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:45 pm

I used the Match 7 BMW version..the connector lined up with the exception of the woofers where I cut the sub woofer cables on the adapter harness ..spliced the woofers in there and then drove the subs from an additional amp back to the other part of the spliced wires..relatively simple..no pin changes were required..

I don’t know about the Match 8 loom..

You need the Match 8 wiring loom pin out and newTiS wiring diagrams to figure it out..

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:52 pm

ah, ok, yeah, I think this is gonna be a different route. I have access to newTIS. According to Audiotec Fischer the looms are the same, but I think I need to step back and think about this. Once again, thanks for the help...