Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service intervals - So annoying

Discussing the current generation Z4
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:05 pm

Its funny how the manufacturers change their minds over what needs done at what time or mileage.
Our old 23i at around 4 years old and 25k went in for a service. I asked for the plugs to be changed too and was told they didn't need to be changed. I think they said change at 60k but don't remember. I had to argue that I wanted them changed as a paying customer before they finally agreed. Brake fluid is the same, did it not change from 3 years to 2 years?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:28 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:05 pm Its funny how the manufacturers change their minds over what needs done at what time or mileage.
Our old 23i at around 4 years old and 25k went in for a service. I asked for the plugs to be changed too and was told they didn't need to be changed. I think they said change at 60k but don't remember. I had to argue that I wanted them changed as a paying customer before they finally agreed. Brake fluid is the same, did it not change from 3 years to 2 years?
I was told plugs every 2 years regardless of mileage (B58) and brake fluid every 2 years aswell, because it soaks up water like a sponge you know! :roll:

I was also told I needed a new fuel filter on my last major service to 'put the lights out'. They didn't do that, though (probably couldn't be arsed as it is slightly more difficult and had made their money), yet still put the lights out. They make it up as they go along, depending how gullible you look IMHO.

There is also the issue with 'the environment' in all this......how much perfectly good engine oil is being junked and how many spark plugs are being buried just so garages can make a fortune?

We are being forced into EVs to serve the Gov's purposes, yet it's absolutely fine to throw away thousands of gallons of virtually unused engine oil, millions of spark plugs, gallons of brake fluid and millions of air filters for the millions of ICE cars on the road!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Johnbmwz4

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:23 am

One of my friends works in the oil industry and we had a similar conversation about cars (specifically mine) getting oil changes far too early due to time elements and not usage elements and he told me it’s all just a rip off by the motor industry and he agrees a total waste of good oil (and other parts) . He specifically works on ships and he said when their engines get serviced (if that’s what it’s called with ships and the like) they actually filter the original oil and re use it. The motor industry is on a win win situation. Maybe all the used oil collected from garages gets filtered then re packaged again? Now there’s a thought……..
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:17 am

Used car engine oil does indeed get recycled.

How Is Used Oil Recycled?
Used engine oil can, in fact, be cleaned and reused. The old oil is refined into new oil, lubricants, fuel oils and used for raw materials. The old oil also comprises of metals which can be recycled. The refining process is:

• Extracting water from the oil by putting it in large settling tanks, which allows separation of the oil from water.
• The oil is filtered and demineralised to remove any inorganic material, solids and certain additives existing in the oil, giving a cleaner burner fuel for further refining
• The following stage is propane de-asphalting to extract the heavier bituminous fractions, bringing forth re-refined base oil
• Finally, the oil is distilled to produce re-refined oil suitable for usage as a lubricant, hydraulic or transformer oil.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:12 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:54 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:43 pm I had a quote from Sytner for a full service and brake fluid change as one gout of sync due to Covid nd they wanted £1050, one local indie was £120 more so sent a few mails and got a quote from Autoworks in Swindon for £725 all in including diff oil, so its off in there at the end of march.
Being an 'M' you get those 'special' 'M' rates, ie double everything!
I may be wrong but I don't think the oil is enriched with gold flakes, or the brake fluid made from Dodo blood. Or the air filter elements made from 1000 year old parchment.
Maybe the plugs are honed from a solid piece of 'unobtainium'?
Hence using an Indie rather than BME 30% cheaper and as Nanu I will be asking for the plugs as well - I bet there's nothing wrong with them at all.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:47 pm

Hence using an Indie rather than BME 30% cheaper and as Nanu I will be asking for the plugs as well - I bet there's nothing wrong with them at all.
[/quote]Wonder what perfectly good second hand plugs with 18K usage are worth?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:26 pm

Nanu wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:47 pm Wonder what perfectly good second hand plugs with 18K usage are worth?
Absolutely nothing IMO.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:41 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:26 pm
Nanu wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:47 pm Wonder what perfectly good second hand plugs with 18K usage are worth?
Absolutely nothing IMO.
They may be if you have the need to replace a damaged plug :)

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:49 pm

Nanu wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:41 pm They may be if you have the need to replace a damaged plug
Plugs are around £8-12 each new. Why would anyone 'risk' putting a used one in with no idea what life it's had? :?

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:53 pm

Quoted £25 each and if you want or need 4 with guaranteed 18K use and willing to pay the postage, they will be free. So worth something to somebody.

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Hut man

Post by Hut man » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:27 pm

Just read this post, glad I got the 5 year service package, my 430d xdrive never incurred anything like these costs,obviously no spark plugs, but full dealer servicing over 91/2 years and most I ever paid was £450 ish if I remember correctly.
M40i sapphire black,tech,comfort shadow line.