Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Water in boot

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:48 am

Hi all

2007 E86

Found water in my battery tray recently after noticing fairly thick condensation on the interior.
Pulled the rear lights to check the seals as it was easiest and quickest. Everything seemed fine. Cleaned up and replaced.
While I had the lights out I could see the rear vents behind the trim.....both looked dry but I've ordered replacements in any case.
I've replaced the 3rd brakelight and it seems to have sealed fine but I think I'll be checking that tomorrow.

Point of this post is that the car hasn't moved and last night, the carpet was wet again. It's wet along the bottom lip above the battery tray. Feels slightly wet on the passenger side in the storage pocket.
So water is getting in while the car isn't moving. That makes me think that the water is getting in via either the 3rd brakelight, or potentially, via the rear windscreen seal. Is that a common fault? I've had the car about 8 months and have no knowledge of the rear glass being replaced.

In a stationary coupe, where is the most likely point of water ingress?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by darich on Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Water in boot

Post by paddy wright » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:09 am

The project Z I’m fixing had water ingress from the wiring bungs for the rear lights. Simple case of pulling back the carpet and resharing them. This was a roadster but could be same issue. Try opening the boot and pouring water along the drain channel and see if you can see where it’s coming in.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 am

Thanks Paddy

I had the rear lights completely off the car the other night. The foam seals were a bit dirty but seemed intact. There was no water inside the light units. But I didn't try pouring water down the channels with the lights off.

I didn't say in my opening post, but I have a stubby aerial. Fitted at some point before my ownership...I've no idea how good that seal is. That may be another point to check.
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Water in boot

Post by paddy wright » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:06 am

darich wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 am Thanks Paddy

I had the rear lights completely off the car the other night. The foam seals were a bit dirty but seemed intact. There was no water inside the light units. But I didn't try pouring water down the channels with the lights off.

I didn't say in my opening post, but I have a stubby aerial. Fitted at some point before my ownership...I've no idea how good that seal is. That may be another point to check.
The water on my project was coming in round where the wiring came through below the lights not round the light seal.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:11 am

Hmm....To get to the wiring, wouldn't water need to pass either the seal, or the come in through the light unit?

I'll have another look over the weekend
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

NS66

Water in boot

Post by NS66 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:08 pm

try some Captain Tolleys - cured both my rear light cluster water leaks.
https://captaintolley.com/

pvr
Legend
Legend

Water in boot

Post by pvr » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:15 pm

Stubby is on the same base so no issue there
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Sidewaze Samm

Water in boot

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:36 pm

My lad's E85 had a leak with water on the boot floor then collecting in the battery well. It took me ages to find, after trying all the usual suspects without any joy...
It was a while ago, but from memory if you take off the rear bumper it will expose a plastic strip that runs across. Behind this are approx 5 white plastic clips. Each is attached by a crosshead screw. One of these was the site of water ingress - cured by taking out the screw and replacing it along with a little silicone sealant. Not leaked since :)
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:20 pm

NS66 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:08 pm try some Captain Tolleys - cured both my rear light cluster water leaks.
https://captaintolley.com/
Thanks.

I've just removed them again and pulled off the foam gasket. Replaced it with butyl tape so we'll see if that makes a difference.
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:23 pm

Thanks all.
Lights replaced and resealed.
Still damp inside after sitting on my flat drive..not loads but still got ingress.
I was going to remove the bumper but I need to remove the wheels to get access to the clips in the wheel arch so I'll wait and see if the lights has sorted it.
I've just taken delivery of the rear vents so if the bumper needs to come off they'll be replaced too.

At least in Scotland I don't need to get the hose out to try and find leaks!!!
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

markprz86

Water in boot

Post by markprz86 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:04 pm

I had water coming in the boot of my coupe, turned out to be the rubber boot stops.

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:21 am

After replacing the foam gaskets on the lights with butyl tape, it turns out, I've made it worse....water is pouring in when I hose the channels either side of the boot. New gaskets ordered.
I'm leaning towards lights being the problem because the car isn't moving and water is getting in....so there's an route in with no wind pressure or road spray. And when you look at where the water runs, the lights are the main culprit.

I'll update when new gaskets arrive and are fitted.
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:22 am

markprz86 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:04 pm I had water coming in the boot of my coupe, turned out to be the rubber boot stops.
Thanks.....seems an odd one.....I'll have a look but I've got more dampness in the storage pockets at the sides, than in the centre....making me think it's the lights.
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:19 pm

Just to update....
New light gaskets arrived and fitted.
I also had the rear vents delivered but delayed fitting because to remove the rear bumper I would've had to remove the rear wheels and I just didn't fancy that on a cold February weekend. So I looked into replacing them from the inside. I removed some of the plastic trim in the boot and pulled the carpet back. It revealed around an inch of standing water hidden below the carpet of the storage pockets on each side of the boot. Popped the grommet to drain and mopped up the remainder as best I could.

Removed the rear lights again and that gave me access to both sides of the rear vents.
Pulled passenger one first and the seal was almost disintegrating. It came away from the vent and was saturated. Driver's side was pretty much the exact same.

Fitted both new vents but haven't replaced all the carpet - it's still loose. Got the hose out and not a drop coming in anywhere I can see.
I've been checking the boot almost every night and even after heavy rain, my boot remains dry with only a small amount of water gathering which, I think, is the insulation under the carpet, releasing the water it's holding.

If it's decent at the weekend, I'll get the boot and doors open and maybe leave it for a day to dry out, then put it all back together.
Nothing worse than a water leak so I'm pretty happy that I think it's fixed!
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

darich

Water in boot - Solved (I think)

Post by darich » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:23 pm

It's been dry for the last week or so, so I've not been able to check if I'm still getting water in.
Rained today...and I've still got a leak. :headbang:
Half an inch of standing water in the floor below the storage pocket on the nearside. I've not refitted the carpets yet so it's easy to see.

On the plus side when I aim the hose at the rear quarter window, the water runs down the channel towards the rear light unit and I can see it dripping inside.

So it looks like it's coming in where the wing is bolted to the boot.
Simple answer I can see is to tape it off and put some silicon in there then pull the tape off to give me a nice straight edge. But is there a better method for fixing it if its a known problem spot??
20240314_181634.jpg
20240314_181634.jpg (108.98 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Instagram - Zed4Coupe