Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Whining noise in 1st and 2nd gear

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
RWD-MT-Only

Post by RWD-MT-Only » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I just bought a 2006 2.5i MT with 75k km and excited to be part of the Z4 family after daily driving an F31 320d that is now my wife’s car. Happy to be back in a sports car giving me smiles ever day.

I bought the car about 3 weeks ago. After buying I had an extensive service done including transmission oil and axle oil change. in the meantime I put roughly 1,000 km on the car. I started noticing a whining noise in 1st and 2nd gear especially that I don’t remember hearing at he beginning. Now of course it could just be me now noticing this after getting used to the car. Made a quick video to demonstrate. Do you guys think this is a normal noise or something wrong?

https://youtu.be/9HHI9vAu8-k?si=SqFMEFGbciahkDLT

Thanks everyone!
Dennis

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:21 am

That doesn't sound good at all. What happens if you dip the clutch? Does the noise go away?

RWD-MT-Only

Post by RWD-MT-Only » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:23 pm

It goes away when I press the clutch for the most part… I am trying to illustrate this at the end of the video.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:45 pm

So am I reading it right that this only started after the transmission oil was changed?
Did they put the correct spec and the correct amount in?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: