Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The jury's out......

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
r2uzenblot

The jury's out......

Post by r2uzenblot » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:54 pm

In the G29 posts you could see that my G29 was reversed into by a Jewson lorry causing a lot of damage to the bumper and untold grief as my car was only six months old. Then came along the recommended BMW accident assist company AX. Repairs went very smoothly and I had a courtesy car whilst my car was fixed so all good.... Or was it?

It turns out that these accident claim companies charge an extortionate amount for the courtesy car, compared to if you hired a car, which means that it can add thousands of pounds to the claim cost. Should I care as the accident claim company are fronting all this for me and there is no cost to me?

Morally I don't like this as it all it does is add to the cost of insurance premiums. Anyone have any views......?
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

The jury's out......

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:02 pm

I believe this is being cited as a reason cars are being written off now for what look like relatively minor repairs.
The insurance companies have to factor in the cost of the hire car in the claim.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

The jury's out......

Post by pvr » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:29 pm

Not to mention the risk that you are ultimately responsible for the rental cost in the case that Jewson suddenly denies responsibilities. I would not use one as a massive claim also creates a bigger increase of your own premium.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

The jury's out......

Post by Nictrix » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:13 pm

I have had discussions about this in the past and not everybody agrees with me.
You are right that the costs of hire cars push repair claims upwards and I think can be the reason cars are written off rather than repaired.
The problem I see is that everybody will take a courtesy car if offered even if they do not need it, I have done it myself in the past although I shouldnt have. I had a courtesy bike years ago that was costing £150 a day!
The courtesy cars that most people get are not cheap cars with most almost being a like for like replacement instead of a cheap car to keep you on the road.
My opinion is that courtesy cars should just be cheap runarounds to keep the costs down.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

pvr
Legend
Legend

The jury's out......

Post by pvr » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:23 pm

I would never need one so if there was an insurance option to save say £100 on the premium, that would work for me
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

The jury's out......

Post by Pondrew » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:34 pm

I was wondering why I keep getting emails from the AA saying "if you have an accident call us first on 0800 000 999".
Now I think I know....they will act as 'claims managers' and rape the insurance companies for more money.
Why don't the insurance companies just deal with this stuff themselves..it would save them and ultimately us money?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

pvr
Legend
Legend

The jury's out......

Post by pvr » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:43 pm

They just raise the premiums. Where is the incentive? Only if they had a limit imposed by the government they would look at saving options.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

The jury's out......

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:47 pm

pvr wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:23 pm I would never need one so if there was an insurance option to save say £100 on the premium, that would work for me
Every time I apply for insurance it asks if I need a courtesy car. Not sure how much it saves me but the option is there.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

r2uzenblot

The jury's out......

Post by r2uzenblot » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:03 pm

I chose AX partly because Jewsons pay motoring claims under 100K themselves and however liable they were saw procrastination or worse. AX handle any court proceedings so saved me hassle.
Last edited by r2uzenblot on Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

The jury's out......

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:36 pm

I had a similar experience in February 2009 with my 57 plate 123d.

There was a fair bit of snow around and I was pleased I managed to get through Windsor Great Park staying on the road - unlike a few cars I saw! Got within a few hundred yards of work and stopped at a mini roundabout, but the car behind didn't. :(

Not all bad though as it was a work colleague with a company car that hit me. So I went to speak to the woman who dealt with company cars (I had taken the car allowance) to tell her I would be making a claim on the company policy. Dozy bint told me I'd have to tell my insurer and couldn't understand when I tried to explain I didn't have to - I did work in the Claims Department of an Insurance Company, but she wasn't interested.

So as it was still under warranty I took it to Sytner for a quote and happened to spot some leaflets for an Accident Management Company, so I picked one up. Got my quote and called the AMC who took over from there.

In March I took my car to Sytner and there was a Courtesy car sitting waiting for me in the car park - a nearly new 58 plate 320d. A few days later I took the courtesy car back and collected mine so it was totally painless.

But also totally pointless. The Courtesy car cost more than the new rear bumper cover. :o

If the dozy bint had possessed any nouse I could have just used one of the pool cars. :lol:

Although I didn't have to claim on my policy, I could see why insurance was so expensive!

I hope you get as good an outcome OP. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

The jury's out......

Post by Pondrew » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:59 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:47 pm Every time I apply for insurance it asks if I need a courtesy car.
I always go through comparison sites and the policy either includes it, or not. I don't want a courtesy car, but it is often just included. Then when you speak to an actual person they spend half an hour trying to 'upsell' the extras to increase the premium, anyway.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

The jury's out......

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:12 am

Pondrew wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:59 pm I always go through comparison sites and the policy either includes it, or not. I don't want a courtesy car, but it is often just included. Then when you speak to an actual person they spend half an hour trying to 'upsell' the extras to increase the premium, anyway.
I have the same problem every renewal - I just don't need a courtesy car, so don't want to pay to have one. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black