Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EVs

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
coldel

EVs

Post by coldel » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:46 pm

There are a group of people that don't believe the man made emissions are making any difference to the planets eco system and climate. They will provide evidence but it often is presented out of context. There was an interesting piece of research done looking at the views of thousands of industry scientists, 97% agreed that man made climate change is a thing, 3% didn't. That 3% is then presented as unequivocal evidence that it isn't and everyone else are sheep for believing the 97% which is where thousands of scientists are all 'in on it'

There really isn't much point debating it, it just ends up as stated an endless back and forth of posting various links where no one changes their view.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

EVs

Post by Pondrew » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:13 pm

coldel wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:46 pm There really isn't much point debating it, it just ends up as stated an endless back and forth of posting various links where no one changes their view.
Sounds like the old Covid threads....happy days! :o
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

EVs

Post by Pondrew » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:19 pm

The whole 'green' or 'eco' movement is going about things all wrong IMHO.
I believe the ONLY way we can make a serious difference to climate change is by fundamentally changing the way we live, work and everything.
That is NOT going to happen. EVs are a great example of this; by finding a way to keep the same quality of life and comforts we are used to whilst being a 'little bit' better on paper for the environment. Ain't gonna work as far as I can see.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

coldel

EVs

Post by coldel » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:21 pm

Im still waiting to be locked in my city where I am not allowed a car or my own finances and can only travel within 15 minutes of my address :P
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

N4LLY

EVs

Post by N4LLY » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:25 pm

coldel wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:21 pm Im still waiting to be locked in my city where I am not allowed a car or my own finances and can only travel within 15 minutes of my address :P
You live in Oxford, right ? :lol:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

coldel

EVs

Post by coldel » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:26 pm

N4LLY wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:25 pm
coldel wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:21 pm Im still waiting to be locked in my city where I am not allowed a car or my own finances and can only travel within 15 minutes of my address :P
You live in Oxford, right ? :lol:
No, but I really like Oxford, drive there regularly :rofl:
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

EVs

Post by Zedebee » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:36 pm

pondrew wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:34 pm MOST people seem to drive EVs because there are huge tax and BIK incentives from the Gov not because they are 'eco-warriors' or give two shites about climate change.
I do give a shite about climate change, but you are right Pondrew, the only reason I have a EV is because of the BIK incentive. For company car drivers, EVs are a game-changingly cheaper prospect than petrol or diesel. To be honest, I think EVs are just as damaging to the environment as combustion engines and I’d rather not have one at all. Ultimately, it is all about the money.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

EVs

Post by TitanTim » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:34 pm

I will try my best not to feel guilty pulling up alongside an EV at the lights blipping my straight 6 :) Might get left behind though :lol:

Tim.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

EVs

Post by Pondrew » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:21 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:34 pm I will try my best not to feel guilty pulling up alongside an EV at the lights blipping my straight 6 :) Might get left behind though :lol:

Tim.
I think you will be OK Tim, what with the 200 miles a year you do in it! :poke: :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

EVs

Post by TitanTim » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:53 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:21 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:34 pm I will try my best not to feel guilty pulling up alongside an EV at the lights blipping my straight 6 :) Might get left behind though :lol:

Tim.
I think you will be OK Tim, what with the 200 miles a year you do in it! :poke: :D
And just think how much I'm saving the planet :D :driving:

Tim.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

EVs

Post by sars » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:59 pm

Love Harry Metcalf, I find he gives a balanced view on the cars he drives, I thought his review of the new i5 M60 was spot on, a truly pointless car! His main points on EV's were interesting and made a lot of sense, who wants a used EV if you have no idea of the battery condition, who wants that risk.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

EVs

Post by Nanu » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:31 pm

Apologies if this is hijacking the thread so please ignore but felt I had to respond.

First of all I also apologise for the capital letters in my post. It wasn't like that when I posted it and it looks and no doubt reads all wrong.

There is no doubt climate change is happening, I think we all agree on that. What is in dispute is whether its a natural occurring phenomenon or it's man made. So lets look at the facts rather than opinions.

CO2 is the main greenhouse gas that is blamed. By volume, the air in Earth's atmosphere CO2 makes up only of 0.04% of the Earths atmosphere. Again depending on which source you use the percentage of CO2 produced by man against that produced naturally is between 45 & 75%. So lets take the higher figure man made of 75%.

If my calculations are correct, man is responsible for only 0.03% of CO2 in the atmosphere (Of which we in the UK are responsible for less than 1% of that).

I suspect you will find that El Nino effect, a naturally occurring phenomena has a lot more effect on the climate than such low percentages of CO2, man made or otherwise.

If that is not enough for thought, the most efficient greenhouse gas that is rarely if ever considered is water vapour which is on average 4% of the atmosphere and we have no control over that.

There are many eras in world history where temperatures have fluctuated by many more degrees than the 1.5% currently quoted and that was long before cars and the industrial revolution.

Some / many may disagree of course
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

EVs

Post by Nictrix » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:14 pm

Once they ban air travel, then its time to worry.
When people like Taylor Swift, just last week took a flight that only took 13 minutes, are allowed to do this why should anybody else take it seriously?
Im not saying that climate change is not happening but I think we are being manipulated into how serious it is.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

M1k3yC

EVs

Post by M1k3yC » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:33 pm

Nanu wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:31 pm If my calculations are correct, man is responsible for only 0.03% of CO2 in the atmosphere (Of which we in the UK are responsible for less than 1% of that).
That's not the right way to express it. What I think you mean is 3 basis points of carbon dioxide, or as you initially put it, up to three quarters of the total amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. So to flip that around, if we increased the concentration of carbon dioxide from 0.01% to 0.04% of the atmosphere then we have quadrupled it (I don't think that's exactly what has happened, though). The first thing that I found when I Googled the reason for carbon dioxide being an issue even though it's a small percentage of our atmosphere was this: https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2019/ ... l-warming/ It suggested in 2019 we were on our way to doubling the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. I haven't done further due diligence to validate the article's sources, I'm just providing this as a counterpoint to your comments. The article mentions water vapour as well.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

EVs

Post by Pondrew » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:16 am

Nictrix wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:14 pm Once they ban air travel, then its time to worry.
When people like Taylor Swift, just last week took a flight that only took 13 minutes, are allowed to do this why should anybody else take it seriously?
Im not saying that climate change is not happening but I think we are being manipulated into how serious it is.
Oh it's serious, there is no doubt. The rate of change cannot be put down to natural cycles; nature works in millennia, we are talking tens, or at most, a few hundred years. It's us, nothing else. But......

When the supermarkets stop selling soft fruit in January from all over the world (we had some cherries from Nigeria in the fridge and lettuce from somewhere like Nicaragua the other day) and Amazon drivers don't drive 10 yards between drop offs in their diesel vans, then I will take what I do seriously.

The exponential growth increase in delivered goods must be having a major impact on CO2 emissions. But it's OK cos it's convenient so just get an EV (of which the electricity to charge make up still includes burning coal in the UK) and everything will be right with the world.

We are doomed...we really are as there is no real appetite for any significant change. Luckily for all the people on forums like this, we will be gone before it comes to a head (but our grandchildren won't).

It's February 10th and my shrubs are starting to grow; I have daffodils just about to flower in the garden and I need to mow the grass! AND I live 120 miles further North than I ever have and NEVER had daffs in February when I lived down South! :(

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold