Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vacuum Control, DISA, ICV and Vanos

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:46 pm

Afternoon folks,

So my new to me car has a couple of faults and preventative maintenance jobs that I'd like to get done. Starting from the top:

Vacuum Control- I've done a bit of research and it seems my vacuum control for brake boosting has failed. Bmw now provide the sucking jet pump and the hoses as a single assembled piece but the ejector part is now plastic and my original looks to be metal. Anybody used this new plastic pump? Also, is it possible with the DISA removed to change the whole thing or does the inlet manifold need to come off?

Talking of DISA's, I've seen some upgrade kits with the spindle screwing into the blade which I'd like to do. Have folks done this and whose kit did you use? Just trying to work out whose is the kit to go for.

My idle is a bit lumpy on start up so I suspect my icv may need a clean/replacement (although replacement looks expensive so cleaning would be better). Have people used carb cleaner or throttle cleaner on these (or maybe even just petrol)? I'd heard that carb cleaner leaves a lubricating residue whereas throttle cleaner doesn't? Not sure whether lubrication is required on the icv.

Lastly but certainly not least, vanos system. I'm feeling a little hesitance to rev around 2-4k sometimes so I wonder whether tha vanos is in need of a refurb. This would be a nice preventative maintenance job to do to release more fun factor :D . Which kits have people used? I've seen a few on the Interweb but I have no idea which manufacturers/ suppliers are the ones to spend my hard earned £'s with.

Im not new to Z4's but I am new to maintaining them (my 1st Z4 was on a service plan) so any pointers to any of the above would much appreciated :D .

Muchos gracias!
Z4 E89 28i Sapphire Black - gone
Z4 E85 3.0i Sapphire Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:04 pm

I am assuming you have the M54 engine?

Vacuum control? Do you mean the CCV system?
The Disa comes off in less than 5 minutes. X8R make a very good repair kit but it is pricey. Guess you get what you pay for. (X8R0043, or X8R0042, both £69.99) The 3.0 Disa is longer than that found on the 2.2/2.5, so make sure you get the correct one.
While the Disa is off the ICV is another 5 minutes to get out.
I must admit I usually give it a squirt of plusgas and a damn good shake until it rattles about freely.
Vanos? Again the X8R kits are by far the best quality I've seen. They do several different levels. I've done a few and never found any problems with the rattle shims tbh, so now I get the slightly cheaper kit that doesn't include them. (X8R0165 - £124.99)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:39 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:04 pm I am assuming you have the M54 engine?

Vacuum control? Do you mean the CCV system?
The Disa comes off in less than 5 minutes. X8R make a very good repair kit but it is pricey. Guess you get what you pay for. (X8R0043, or X8R0042, both £69.99) The 3.0 Disa is longer than that found on the 2.2/2.5, so make sure you get the correct one.
While the Disa is off the ICV is another 5 minutes to get out.
I must admit I usually give it a squirt of plusgas and a damn good shake until it rattles about freely.
Vanos? Again the X8R kits are by far the best quality I've seen. They do several different levels. I've done a few and never found any problems with the rattle shims tbh, so now I get the slightly cheaper kit that doesn't include them. (X8R0165 - £124.99)
Yeah its the 3.0i m54.

Not the ccv, its the vacuum for the brake booster. its called vacuum control on realoem but theres probably another name for it. The line than runs from the brake booster and another from the inlet elbow that join at the sucking jet pump then run to the inlet manifold under the disa/icv. Just wondering if folks had used the plastic sucking jet pump from bmw as mine looks to be metal.

I'd seen the x8r disa and vanos kits when looking and did seem to be pricey but I'm happy to pay a bit extra especially given how close to the inlet the disa valve is and how much damage it could cause.

Fingers crossed these jobs shouldn't take too long.

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:49 pm

I've just checked again under the bonnet and the sucking jet pump is plastic so not sure why I thought it was metal.

9designs

Post by 9designs » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:27 pm

Can I jump in with a similar question on a 3.0Si engine......
Squealing noise. At first thought would be belt/pulley etc. pulley and belt is new as is alternator. It happens only after car has stood for a few days and gets up to temp, okay from cold, gradually gets louder. At idle the rpm fluctuate from 500-1000. Turn off engine and restart, problem gone. Use the car later in the day (ie leaving work) no issues. Seems to drive and perform okay. :?
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:53 pm

Anyone ever used wd40 to find vacuum leaks? Wondered if a little spray of the old squeek deleter might show a leak by momentarily increasing the revs?

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:30 pm

So its confirmed I have a vacuum leak. I found an old OBD reader I've had for years and it worked. The reader pulled a P0102 as an active code P0174 & P0171 as pending codes. All seems to be pointing to a vacuum leak. Strange that the car didn't throw an EML light up on the dash and that I only knew it was happening because I couldn't heel and toe.

Looks like it'll be off the road for a few weeks whilst I investigate and order parts.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:39 pm

Andrew J wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:30 pm So its confirmed I have a vacuum leak. I found an old OBD reader I've had for years and it worked. The reader pulled a P0102 as an active code P0174 & P0171 as pending codes. All seems to be pointing to a vacuum leak. Strange that the car didn't throw an EML light up on the dash and that I only knew it was happening because I couldn't heel and toe.

Looks like it'll be off the road for a few weeks whilst I investigate and order parts.
I assume you've checked the obvious culprits, such as the inlet elbow?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:32 pm

I've had a quick look around the elbows and there's a vacuum line that looks questionable but wasn't sure. Need to have a proper look in decent light when it's not raining. Might get a tin of throttle cleaner and give it a judicious spray here and there and seen if the revs rise. There's no oil leaking that I can see so I don't think its the ccv.

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:01 pm

Got out and had a look under the bonnet. Found the culprit. Split in the lower intake elbow. Need to wait until monday and see how much the stealers charge.
Attachments
20240210_154620.jpg
20240210_154620.jpg (120.09 KiB) Viewed 351 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:04 pm

Andrew J wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:01 pm Got out and had a look under the bonnet. Found the culprit. Split in the lower intake elbow. Need to wait until monday and see how much the stealers charge.
Won't get much better than through their eBay shop.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184878385385 ... BM4tiVvLJj

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:08 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:04 pm
Andrew J wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:01 pm Got out and had a look under the bonnet. Found the culprit. Split in the lower intake elbow. Need to wait until monday and see how much the stealers charge.
Wow that looks like a legitimate bmw shop.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:08 pm

Andrew J wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:08 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:04 pm
It is. Used it loads of times. :thumbsup:

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:29 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:08 pm
Andrew J wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:08 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:04 pm Won't get much better than through their eBay shop.
It is. Used it loads of times. :thumbsup:
Ordered. Should be fixed by the end of the week :thumbsup:

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:14 pm

So I tried replacing the lower boot this afternoon. It was a little trickier than I thought it would be but it seemed to work straight after I fitted it. After trying to wash off what can only he described as rubbery soot, I cleared the codes stored for the car and it fired up. Tried reading for codes again and nothing there, perfect :D !

Shut it down and went and did something more boring for a while then came back to car and fired it up later on and P0102 had reappeared and no heel and toe :x . Frustrating as it had worked to start with. Once I get some time, I think I'll take the DISA off to give myself some more room.

What was weird was that the airbox seemed a lot harder to get lined back up with the bolt holes. It's as if the new piece was ever so slightly shorter or not quite the same angle. Anyone had this before?