Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Missing USB

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Blurredman

Missing USB

Post by Blurredman » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:06 pm

I've had my E89 for a week and loving it, but have an unresolved mystery. I have the non-iDrive audio (no screen, just head unit). I found the USB socket in the centre console, but according to the head unit display there are 2 USB inputs. I read somewhere that there should be another USB socket in the glovebox, but can't see one there. Is there really only the one?

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Missing USB

Post by B21 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:09 pm

The usb in the glovebox was for idrive updates..no idrive no usb in the glove box…AFAIK
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Blurredman

Missing USB

Post by Blurredman » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:11 pm

Ah, thanks. I guess the 2nd USB button on the head unit is redundant then. Pity!

Marcoose

Missing USB

Post by Marcoose » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:27 am

OP, I know a guy, that for a mere freshly cut bale of hay, will strip your whole dashboard, install an extra USB, and throw in a new digital odometer. Just say the word.

:lol:
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

AnubisZed

Missing USB

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:23 am

Blurredman wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:06 pm I've had my E89 for a week and loving it, but have an unresolved mystery. I have the non-iDrive audio (no screen, just head unit). I found the USB socket in the centre console, but according to the head unit display there are 2 USB inputs. I read somewhere that there should be another USB socket in the glovebox, but can't see one there. Is there really only the one?
Hmmm interesting.
Firstly, a photo is required :D
Secondly I've an idea, do you have a snap-in phone cradle? If yes, then this could be what the second USB is for.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Blurredman

Missing USB

Post by Blurredman » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:44 pm

Hopefully I've uploaded the photo correctly...
I don't have anything plugged into the centre console USB port, I usually connect my iPhone and then it shows up on the first USB as 'iPod'. As you can see, USB2 is expecting something to be inserted but I have no idea where it things I should insert it to :)
Attachments
IMG_5604.jpg
IMG_5604.jpg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 260 times

Blurredman

Missing USB

Post by Blurredman » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:45 pm

Oh and yes, I do have a snap in phone socket that has nothing connected to it. As you say, maybe that is where it thinks USB2 is?

AnubisZed

Missing USB

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:41 am

Never seen a full deck before. I've seen it with the iDrive where it states a USB position when you have the phone cradle, hence my thought on that.
The problem these days is that phones have got so big it makes the snap-in adaptor useless. You can get some that have the flying lead to plug in your phone (iPhone and micro USB) but they are still limited in size. You can get one that does wireless charging but again size is an issue.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Kevin

Missing USB

Post by Kevin » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:13 pm

I've blanked my phone cradle off with the official plastic blank. I have the USB port in the console (two IIRC?), so I connect the phone to that with a cable. I then have a reasonable hidden place to store my phone while it is charging (you gain the space that is taken up by the cradle insert). The phone then connects to the head unit by bluetooth IIRC. I use the second USB slot for a USB stick that has my music collection (either 128GB or 256GB). This seems to work well for me. But you do need the right combination of options - I find the BMW option list to be baffling!