Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driver side headlight not adjusting - no sensor present

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Gazzypants

Post by Gazzypants » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:19 pm

Hi all,

I have an ‘07 - Z4 E85. Had an MOT fail as in pic1 “headlamp levelling device inoperative Offside front”

I’ve viewed lots of YouTube videos that talk about the levelling sensor but I don’t seem to have one. See pics 2 & 3. Nor do I have a loose/spare loom/socket where it may have been.

I’ve identified that when using the “beam adjustment dial”, whilst it makes a weird ‘CREAKING’ sound that is more audible in than out of the car the left/nearside/passenger side headlight does adjust. The driver/offside does not.

My questions is 3 fold;

1. Did some models come without the adjustment sensor?? I can’t find signs that one ever existed even though all the bolt holes etc are present.

2. What is the cause of the “CREAKING”

3. What is causing the right side to not work? What do I need to do/test/fix/replace?

Thanks in advance legends
Attachments
MOT
MOT
IMG_5592.jpeg (207.29 KiB) Viewed 91 times
No sensor
No sensor
IMG_5587.jpeg (171.13 KiB) Viewed 91 times
No sensor
No sensor
IMG_5604.jpeg (26.15 KiB) Viewed 91 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:55 pm

Halogens don't have the auto levelling system, so if that's what yours are then you're not missing anything.
There is a motor built into the headlight unit which moves it when you adjust the wheel on the dash.
Take the access panel off and you'll see a smaller plug at the bottom rear of the headlight, and what look like wire covered cables which do the adjustment (bowden cables).
I suspect you'll need the headlight out to see if the motor is seized, cables seized, or simply a connection issue.
To me, the creaking suggests the motor is trying to move the headlight but there is an issue with the cables being stuck.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Gazzypants

Post by Gazzypants » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:23 pm

Brilliant thank you. I’ll start there