Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 roof

Carlosfandago40

E89 roof

Post by Carlosfandago40 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:04 pm

Hi . Looking for advice/ help . Yesterday my roof warning light came on. With the bong constantly going at over 28 mph . All windows work . But the roof won’t open . And the red light on the open switch constantly flash’s, even with the car locked . Pressed both switches while driving slowly and the close with flash green. But otherwise nothing 🤷‍♂️. I’ve just had a battery fitted at kwik fit . Best price with coding . Not sure if coincidence or not . So I’m sort of guessing micro switches somewhere.

javis20

E89 roof

Post by javis20 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:18 am

You need to read the codes. Find someone with a BMW specific code reader. Like a Foxwell, Bimmerlink or Bimmergeek ProTool. Personally I think it's crazy to own an E89 without a diagnostic code reader.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

E89 roof

Post by flybobbie » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:38 pm

javis20 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:18 am You need to read the codes. Find someone with a BMW specific code reader. Like a Foxwell, Bimmerlink or Bimmergeek ProTool. Personally I think it's crazy to own an E89 without a diagnostic code reader.
Spot on best 50 to 150 quid you will ever speed, invaluable.

Biggman83

E89 roof

Post by Biggman83 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:35 pm

I had that issue a few years ago, although at times my windows would not operate while it was bonging. I also couldn’t lock my car as the windows would not operate. My roof would appear to lock in place but then I’d get the light and the bong.

I had a faulty sensor replaced on the mechanism and that rectified the issue for me. But the problem was intermittent for about a year leading up to it being replaced.

wanderer

E89 roof

Post by wanderer » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:01 pm

Biggman83 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:35 pm I had that issue a few years ago, although at times my windows would not operate while it was bonging. I also couldn’t lock my car as the windows would not operate. My roof would appear to lock in place but then I’d get the light and the bong.

I had a faulty sensor replaced on the mechanism and that rectified the issue for me. But the problem was intermittent for about a year leading up to it being replaced.
Any idea which sensor that was?