Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Local Authority Recycling Centres (used to be tips)

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:08 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:15 pm Ideally you need an airbag connector to make wiring them easier, but otherwise, remove the metal protective tab that keeps the pins connected when out of the car, run a couple of long wires to the pins, place it on its back (ie face-planting side upwards) and apply 12v to the wires from a reasonable distance. Job done.
Well I ain't doing that! I was having kittens just removing the bloody things from the car, even with the battery having been disconnected for weeks.
I don't even like picking them up, just in case.
I have actually sold one of mine but have to take it 120 miles in a box to drop it off. It's going in the back of a Luton, otherwise I wouldn't be taking it anywhere.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:03 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:15 pm Disposing of airbags is an interesting exercise. I had one and a couple of seatbelt pre-tensioners to get rid of once and popped them off at fireworks night. The tensioners are like firecrackers while the driver's airbag was impressive/terrifying when you realise where they're mounted.

Ideally you need an airbag connector to make wiring them easier, but otherwise, remove the metal protective tab that keeps the pins connected when out of the car, run a couple of long wires to the pins, place it on its back (ie face-planting side upwards) and apply 12v to the wires from a reasonable distance. Job done.
Don't fancy doing that :headbang: It's been under a bush in the garden for about 2 years, how about leaving it in a bucket of water?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

darich

Post by darich » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:53 am

Some interesting comments. I see that many of you are paying a charge for specific uplifts.

In Scotland, well at least in my local area, there's a single charge for Council Tax and another for water. If you want rubbish collected from your home, eg washing machine, furniture, then the first uplift is free. Subsequent uplifts incur a charge.
And to add, the civic amenity sites, as they're called here, are generally privately run. In my area, by Viridor. That company sets the hours, controls staff, and decides what and how items are disposed of. I think there are seven sites in my area - six of them are privately run with only one being operated by the local council
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

IRD

Post by IRD » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:30 pm

darich wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:53 am Some interesting comments. I see that many of you are paying a charge for specific uplifts.

In Scotland, well at least in my local area, there's a single charge for Council Tax and another for water. If you want rubbish collected from your home, eg washing machine, furniture, then the first uplift is free. Subsequent uplifts incur a charge.
And to add, the civic amenity sites, as they're called here, are generally privately run. In my area, by Viridor. That company sets the hours, controls staff, and decides what and how items are disposed of. I think there are seven sites in my area - six of them are privately run with only one being operated by the local council
In Lincolnshire we pay extra for garden waste and also for the removal of large items. But for me it is the limited opening hours of the the recycling centres which causes most annoyance.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:00 pm

I don't think that should be privatised, all that means that it is more challenging to get rid of stuff or they want to charge you for it for some reason.

Making it more difficult with limited opening times just means more fly tipping.

Remember the days when you have to pay to get rid of scrap cars and the council thought they would make millions from people having to pay? We had a spade of burning cars in our road that the council needed to clear up then. They never think things through.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:07 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:00 pm I don't think that should be privatised, all that means that it is more challenging to get rid of stuff or they want to charge you for it for some reason.
Don't think they are privatised, just 'sub contracted' out to private companies to run them for the Councils. Costs the taxpayer more money, of course, but the Council employees can sit on their arses and don't have to deal with it. Sounds familiar to me! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:14 pm

And in their spare time they can collect the £69k by "working" for the train companies
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

IRD

Post by IRD » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:37 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:14 pm And in their spare time they can collect the £69k by "working" for the train
:D

Don’t start about the train companies or this thread will run forever.😊😊😊

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:46 pm

Sorry - just read that Telegraph article by that nurse who "destroys" the train driver's demands :lol:

Moving swiftly on - (unlike the trains :lol: )
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

IRD

Post by IRD » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:04 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:46 pm Sorry - just read that Telegraph article by that nurse who "destroys" the train driver's demands :lol:

Moving swiftly on - (unlike the trains :lol: )
Not to mention the Consultants and Junior Doctors.😀😀😀

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:15 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:14 pm And in their spare time they can collect the £69k by "working" for the train companies
Train drivers work very hard four days a week, sitting looking out of a window for their £65k basic. I think they deserve a huge pay increase! :wink:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:32 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:15 pm
pvr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:14 pm And in their spare time they can collect the £69k by "working" for the train companies
Train drivers work very hard four days a week, sitting looking out of a window for their £65k basic. I think they deserve a huge pay increase! :wink:
Agreed. All that training as well, green button to go, red button to stop. But if you forget the red button, don't worry, we will stop it for you.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:41 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:32 pm
Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:15 pm
Agreed. All that training as well, green button to go, red button to stop. But if you forget the red button, don't worry, we will stop it for you.
Another well paid job I can’t do then being colour blind :headbang:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:44 pm

You are too old anyway, they don't work over 55
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:45 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:07 pm
pvr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:00 pm I don't think that should be privatised, all that means that it is more challenging to get rid of stuff or they want to charge you for it for some reason.
Don't think they are privatised, just 'sub contracted' out to private companies to run them for the Councils. Costs the taxpayer more money, of course, but the Council employees can sit on their arses and don't have to deal with it. Sounds familiar to me! :)
Some years ago Torquay council stopped running the local crematorium and cemetery and gave the job to Westerleigh, they brought in a load of Russian workers and started bumping up the price for everything, it is now one of the most expensive places to die.