Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Calling all Ians.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
beanie

Calling all Ians.

Post by beanie » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:02 am

Bit of a weird one, but bear with me!

I’ve noticed a fair few people on the forum called Ian/Iain and I feel we (I) need to address and understand this.

What is it about Z4s and us Ians? I’ve never come across so many in my entire 40+ years and yet here I seem surrounded by them! My first encounter with this phenomenon was when I missed out on a Sepang M many years ago to another Ian which caused a bit of confusion for the seller.

So, identify yourselves! Perhaps we can become the ruling class of Z4 owners. Or something..! :tumbleweed:
RUBYIMOLACARBON

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Calling all Ians.

Post by MikeyH » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:17 am

I bet there are more Mikes on here. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Calling all Ians.

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:54 am

beanie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:02 am Bit of a weird one, but bear with me!

I’ve noticed a fair few people on the forum called Ian/Iain and I feel we (I) need to address and understand this.

What is it about Z4s and us Ians? I’ve never come across so many in my entire 40+ years and yet here I seem surrounded by them! My first encounter with this phenomenon was when I missed out on a Sepang M many years ago to another Ian which caused a bit of confusion for the seller.

So, identify yourselves! Perhaps we can become the ruling class of Z4 owners. Or something..! :tumbleweed:
I think it may have something to do with the average demographic. Most people on here are of 'a certain vintage', when names like Ian/Iain, Martin, Michael, Sean and of course Andrew were very popular.

When I was at school in a class of 30 boys, we had 8 Andys/ Andrews. :o
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

beanie

Calling all Ians.

Post by beanie » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:05 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:54 am I think it may have something to do with the average demographic. Most people on here are of 'a certain vintage', when names like Ian/Iain, Martin, Michael, Sean and of course Andrew were very popular.

When I was at school in a class of 30 boys, we had 8 Andys/ Andrews. :o
Don’t go bringing logic and reason in to this!

8 Andys in one class! Poor teachers :lol:
RUBYIMOLACARBON

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Calling all Ians.

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:17 pm

beanie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:05 pm 8 Andys in one class! Poor teachers
wasn't a problem for them. Our teachers didn't even know our first names, let alone use them. It was a deliberate policy to make the kids feel like we weren't important, or even human. Happy days! :wink:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Calling all Ians.

Post by buzyg » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:24 pm

He's mad she's mad Ian's mad, we're all mad.. :wink:

IRD

Calling all Ians.

Post by IRD » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:39 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:17 pm
beanie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:05 pm 8 Andys in one class! Poor teachers
wasn't a problem for them. Our teachers didn't even know our first names, let alone use them. It was a deliberate policy to make the kids feel like we weren't important, or even human. Happy days! :wink: :
Now that was just as it should have been. As a first year student, wet behind the ears. When I was on my way to start my first secondary school teaching practice in a notorious very tough split site school in a mining village near Newcastle. My tutor gave me one piece of advice. ‘Start off by sorting out the biggest thug in the school, to show you can. Than deal with the smallest, to show there is no favouritism.’😉

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Calling all Ians.

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:42 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:54 am When I was at school in a class of 30 boys, we had 8 Andys/ Andrews
We had 4 in mine

But we know who the important ones were :wink: :cheers:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

IRD

Calling all Ians.

Post by IRD » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:43 pm

beanie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:02 am Bit of a weird one, but bear with me!

I read recently in one of these news snippets that not a single newborn was recorded as being named Ian/Iain last year. Parents these days have no taste. 😉😉😉

beanie

Calling all Ians.

Post by beanie » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:53 pm

IRD wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:43 pm I read recently in one of these news snippets that not a single newborn was recorded as being named Ian/Iain last year. Parents these days have no taste. 😉😉😉
    :o Oh god, Ian is the new Bert!
    RUBYIMOLACARBON

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Calling all Ians.

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:43 pm

I don’t think we’re exactly Ianundated with them tbf.
    HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
    Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

Calling all Ians.

Post by buzyg » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:39 pm

beanie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:53 pm
    IRD wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:43 pm I read recently in one of these news snippets that not a single newborn was recorded as being named Ian/Iain last year. Parents these days have no taste. 😉😉😉
    :o Oh god, Ian is the new Bert!
    I thought nothing will ever better the Berts.

But then along came Horris the 1st , then Horris the 2nd until Horris the 7th. Then they went back to Berts. :D

IRD

Calling all Ians.

Post by IRD » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:54 pm

Back in the 1960s when I first started teaching in a small mining village in Co Durham I had a child in my form called Wilhelmina Clutterbuck and the single parent mum was called Loveday Soulsby. Over the years working in schools I have come across a range of interesting names and spellings of names. There were also certain names which seemed somehow attached to badly behaved youngsters. Then, of course the celebrity cult brought the Kylies and the like. Some times parents don’t seem to realise the mill stone they are hanging round a child’s neck. The famous one that comes to mind is Zowie Bowie.

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Calling all Ians.

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:07 pm

Some parents must have a sense of humour when naming their kids.
    I used to know two girls with unusual surnames; Lastick and Sunshine
    Yep, their first names were Lucy and Wendy respectively.

Try saying the name Wendy Sunshine without a Jamaican accent! :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

IRD

Calling all Ians.

Post by IRD » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:28 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:07 pm Some parents must have a sense of humour when naming their kids.
    I used to know two girls with unusual surnames; Lastick and Sunshine
    Yep, their first names were Lucy and Wendy respectively. :

Try saying the name Wendy Sunshine without a Jamaican accent! :lol:
    You don’ get any better and neither do the jokes. 😀