Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Milky chrome trim

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Milky chrome trim

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:34 pm

Anyone know a way to help get this off?
The plastic chrome trims around my windows on the F31 are all milky. It looks like dried scale but it won't come off. I googled it and have tried just about everything suggested. So far tried:
Autosol polish.....nothing
Brasso polish....nothing
baking soda paste....nothing
diluted vinegar....nothing
liquid soap and fine plastic scouring pad.....nothing
superfine wirewool and metal polish.....nothing
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Milky chrome trim

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:50 pm

When I've had that on other cars it has actually been the lacquer lifting and moisture getting under it. Not sure there's much you can do?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Milky chrome trim

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:14 pm

It doesn't look like that TBH.
It is all over all the trim and has streaks. It looks like dried dried milk residue. I am thinking the car has been cleaned with something that has reacted with the top layer and then left to dry in the sun.

I have had a bit of success now with lots of autosol and a gentle scourer. I am going to get my dremel on it tomorrow with a small polishing wheel drenched in metal polish. I might try some t-cut on the polishing wheel aswell.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Milky chrome trim

Post by Zedebee » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:44 pm

Is it the original finish do you think, or has someone “had a go at them”? What you describe sounds like when you apply lacquer in a cold, damp environment (as happened when I tried to refurb some wheels in a cold garage in the middle of winter). The only remedy is to emery them back and reapply in a warmer, drier environment.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Milky chrome trim

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:56 pm

I will try and get a picture tomorrow.
They don't look like they have been 'had a go at', just a milky, streaky mess.
I know my car lived near the sea (in Somerset), so I'm wondering if it could be salty water spray which has dried really hard.

it is a bit strange, as if you get them wet they look shiny as a new pin but as soon as they dry this milky 'tarnishing' comes straight back.

It is all over them too, both sides, top and bottom of the windows so it can't be 'damage' as it's too uniform.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Milky chrome trim

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:38 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:56 pm I will try and get a picture tomorrow.
They don't look like they have been 'had a go at', just a milky, streaky mess.
I know my car lived near the sea (in Somerset), so I'm wondering if it could be salty water spray which has dried really hard.

it is a bit strange, as if you get them wet they look shiny as a new pin but as soon as they dry this milky 'tarnishing' comes straight back.

It is all over them too, both sides, top and bottom of the windows so it can't be 'damage' as it's too uniform.
How ironic that this car looks better when it’s wet and you can’t get the other one dry 🤣🤣🤣
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: