Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking sensor fault

Robsterrob

Parking sensor fault

Post by Robsterrob » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:34 pm

I’ve previously had a parking sensor replaced under warranty, but the problem has arisen again, this time out of warranty.

I’ve got a message saying that the parking sensors in my 21 z4 are dirty and need cleaning - they don’t need cleaning! Sadly, when one sensor fails, the whole system shuts down and it’s impossible to identify which sensor is faulty. If I could identify the faulty sensor, it’s a £40 DIY fix - although lengthy due to potentially the rear bumper being removed.

Does anyone know if a fault code reader such as the Foxwell NT530 will be able to identify the erroneous sensor? Buying a scanner and a new sensor is still about half of what BMW want to do the job!

Ta.

ori

Parking sensor fault

Post by ori » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:51 pm

If it’s the same sensor as the one replaced it should be under the 2 year warranty. If not, any code reader should identify the correct one. Carly?

Robsterrob

Parking sensor fault

Post by Robsterrob » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:16 pm

I contacted both BimmerLink (iphone) and Foxwell (hardware scanner).

Bimmerlink said that their softyware would not make the PDC info available, and Foxwell said that their units don't support the G29.

I do have an extended waranty - hopefully it will be covered. It's annoying to say the least! If only you could tell from the graphic in the car which sensor was faulty, it would so much easier, and a simple replacement.

Robsterrob

Parking sensor fault

Post by Robsterrob » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:24 am

Update: a mate lent me his Autel code scanner, and it identified the culprit as being the sensor that’s been replaced twice before, so it will be under warranty from the replacement hopefully.

Makes me wonder why that particular sensor (rear middle left) keeps failing though..

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Parking sensor fault

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:26 am

Robsterrob wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:24 am Update: a mate lent me his Autel code scanner, and it identified the culprit as being the sensor that’s been replaced twice before, so it will be under warranty from the replacement hopefully.

Makes me wonder why that particular sensor (rear middle left) keeps failing though..
Think I'd be trying a remove, clean, refit of the plug to it first.
No other reason it would always be that one unless they had a bad batch.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: