Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

better fitting steering lock

Discussing the current generation Z4
xmillionn

Post by xmillionn » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:12 pm

Hi!

I’m using a Stoplock Pro Elite from my old car, but finding it really difficult to maneuver it inside Z4. Also tricky to secure it without getting it tangled in the indicator/paddle shifters!

Can anyone recommend a better fitting steering lock? Open to all suggestions (but something affordable please)

Thanks

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:28 pm

Must admit I have never used a steering lock. Don't remember the last time I saw a car with one on.

Call me pessimistic but I don't think they make any difference. Maybe a deterrent for an opportunist thief but won't stop anyone who really wants the car.

r2uzenblot

Post by r2uzenblot » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:57 pm

My steering lock is insurance. Why have a steering lock when you can have insurance against theft?
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:13 am

I have never used one.

They may have been necessary years back but with modern technology and alarm systems they are pretty much redundant now IMO.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:32 am

dr_john wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:13 am I have never used one.

They may have been necessary years back but with modern technology and alarm systems they are pretty much redundant now IMO.
Steering locks are quite common, I see them fitted on lots of newer cars. Keys can be cloned fairly easily and cars stolen, but a steering lock is a huge deterrent and I have never read a story where one was forcibly removed.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:58 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:32 am
dr_john wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:13 am I have never used one.

Steering locks are quite common, I see them fitted on lots of newer cars. Keys can be cloned fairly easily and cars stolen, but a steering lock is a huge deterrent and I have never read a story where one was forcibly removed.
i guess different parts of the country have different habits. I live in Herts and i dont remember the last time i saw a car with a steering lock. they were more popular in the 90s round here.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:47 pm

^ This.

I live in Leicestershire and can’t remember the last time I saw one. Whatever.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

PSQ777

Post by PSQ777 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:49 pm

I live in Surrey and use a Stoplock. Car theft is very common in my area. One of my neighbours had both of their cars taken one night a few months ago (newish BMW and Merc). On our local NextDoor groups has very frequent reports of cars being stolen, sometimes several in one night from a specific area as the relay theft gangs move in.