Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trim Rattles

Silverstar

Trim Rattles

Post by Silverstar » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:58 pm

Decided to tackle some trim rattles from the front of the car which have popped up over past few months and begining to annoy me. Removed this lot which has gotten rid 98% of the rattles from the front:
IMG_0941.jpeg
IMG_0941.jpeg (210.56 KiB) Viewed 150 times
It seems something in the sunvisor has broken down over time and the rattles seems to eminating from within the visor, rattles are more noticeable when they are lowered down, I think only the driver side is affected, not sure what to do about it, new they are around 100€ each! :o

On the dash trim it seems the air vent far left has had some point been taken apart, probably when the tracker module was fitted behind the vent duct and they didn't do a good job when they put it back to together again and have broken some clips causing it to be loose and rattle around.
IMG_0943.jpeg
IMG_0943.jpeg (127.34 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Tomorrow I'll try gluing it to together and maybe putting some foam padding on the back side of the trims to cushion it against the dash. Will check then if the car stays rattle free as it is now without these pieces in the car.

For the final rattle which occurs only over certain types of bumps or other irregularities in the road, I am thinking it might have something to do with the glovebox or that area. Might need to remove it and see if it makes a difference.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Trim Rattles

Post by B21 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:38 pm

Yes those sun visors certainly generate a lot of rattles which then seem to be reflected off the windscreen into the cabin…I’ve packed the area between the sliding flap over the inbuilt mirror and the mirror with some Velcro male tape…quietened it a treat…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Trim Rattles

Post by flybobbie » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:43 am

Yes seems the mirror rattles, i did the same.
And some rubber between visor and where it touches the windshield trim.
I gave every joint a good spray with some silicone, in fact it's bumper trim spray.
Use it regular on all the roof rubbers.
Even the gears rattle on the iDrive display, cured with spray.
If you hear rattle in your right ear, probably something on the left door!

Driving along i could hear something.......first place to look pass. seat, a biro.

Silverstar

Trim Rattles

Post by Silverstar » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:43 am

Thanks guys, I’ll have a look at packing out the sun visors, hopefully that will solve that problem and save me 100€ each.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red