Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I’ll never sleep again

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ori

I’ll never sleep again

Post by ori » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:42 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:42 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:03 pm But you think you’ve got it hard, my friend had this to cope with this the other day
That makes me extremely sad! My daughter's twin brother never made it to the age of having a licence! :(
Wish you a long life my friend.

RAYK47

I’ll never sleep again

Post by RAYK47 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:48 pm

my daughter passed 7 years ago now and you still worry about them on the road. My son is 14 and he wants my Z when he is 17. I told him to do one as i hope to still have it and he has no chance of driving it.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

I’ll never sleep again

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:54 pm

Got three of them passed - SWMBO still panics where the girls drive anywhere more than 5ft from her apron string, I tell her they are old enough to get on with it now and to stop worrying, the youngest passed her test and drove to brum the same night so not afraid.

My lad was the one, he had written off 2 BMW's, a 120D and a 420D by the time he was 20 - although the 4 series wasnt his fault in any way shape or form.

He had a black box when he was 17 (Corsa) and I was the contact name on the insurance as he was away a lot with work, I got a call saying I had been noted as doing 110 on the m4/m5 interchange at 3am the previous morning, took me an age to realise it was my lad on his way home from work- he got a rocket and a half with that one.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

DonDon

I’ll never sleep again

Post by DonDon » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:16 am

My daughter passed her car driving test yesterday and I really can sleep more easily as it means she will spend less time on her motorbike!
2013 E89 28i auto

RAYK47

I’ll never sleep again

Post by RAYK47 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:04 am

DonDon wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:16 am My daughter passed her car driving test yesterday and I really can sleep more easily as it means she will spend less time on her motorbike!
I must admit I am a biker but would not be too happy if either of my kids wanted to ride (at least not yet).

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

I’ll never sleep again

Post by Pondrew » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:01 pm

DonDon wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:16 am My daughter passed her car driving test yesterday and I really can sleep more easily as it means she will spend less time on her motorbike!
As long as you can stay alive, riding a bike makes you a better car driver IMO.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

TOMGREEN413

I’ll never sleep again

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:42 pm

Definitely can be worrying when they first start driving :|
My oldest girl is such a crazy driver we paid for her to have a supercar day at Thruxton a few years back, they have a instructor who marks them for driving abilities, after a few laps in the Porsche the instructor got out and told us ...." she's pretty fearless isn't she".......fair play she a marked 8/10 average for all the different driving skills......unfortunately the instructor should have never told her "she's a natural ", especially as next up was the Formula Renault...........bad bad move.......I can remember lap one ( we were watching from the control tower viewing area) going like a bullet out of a gun, lap 2 she managed 3 overtakes........lap 3 ......she overtook 2 more cars on back straight and as she disappeared out of my sight was trying to make a final overtake before the chicane...........lap4 .....she doesn't appear? " look dear, their waving the black flags for someone ".........it was at that point I noticed a bent ( missing front nose cone and spoiler) single seater being flagged into the pits!!! You guessed it, my daughters lunging overtake into the chicane hadn't worked out!!!!! The Other single seater she hit never made it back to the pits!!! ( but i believe the driver wasnt injured just shacken up when a slick tyre appeared on his car)Apparently when handing back her race suit they advised her that all future bookings from her WILL BE DECLINED.........but happy to say 5 years on and she's never had another shunt and has a clean driving licence :thumbsup:
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

I’ll never sleep again

Post by Nanu » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:46 pm

RAYK47 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:04 am
I must admit I am a biker but would not be too happy if either of my kids wanted to ride (at least not yet).
It is a lot more difficult to fall off a car.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

TOMGREEN413

I’ll never sleep again

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:11 pm

Agree.....my oldest speed crazy daughter had a moped when she was at University........by the hand of God she somehow went through that episode without incident, just the cyclist she had the head on crash with when using her moped in the cycle lane on Brighton Sea front, in her defence she wasn't aware that only NON motorised bikes were allowed on them :headbang:
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

I’ll never sleep again

Post by Pondrew » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:35 pm

Well blow me down with a feather!
My daughter PASSED today! I was NOT expecting that! First time aswell. Clever girl.
IMG_9178.JPG
IMG_9178.JPG (128.8 KiB) Viewed 134 times
IMG_9180.JPG
IMG_9180.JPG (145.84 KiB) Viewed 134 times
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

I’ll never sleep again

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:25 pm

Congrats to her - now get that wallet out n pony up the extra for her insurance and the tramadol to keep SWMBO calm
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

I’ll never sleep again

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:40 pm

Good for her. :thumbsup:

First time passes seem to be quite rare these days.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

I’ll never sleep again

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:24 am

Pondrew, We’ll done to her, and she looks so pleased with her lovely reliable Mini :wink:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

I’ll never sleep again

Post by Pondrew » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:46 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:40 pm First time passes seem to be quite rare these days.
    Ah yes but having spoken to her about 'the test' it would seem......
    NO emergency stop was required
    NO reversing around a corner
    NO three point turn (or equivalent)
    NO hill start (admittedly difficult to find somewhere to do it in the Lincolnshire fens)
    NO opening the bonnet and pointing out oil, coolant, etc

She drove into a pub car park by mistake and only got a 'minor' mark! :o

I am wondering whether the massive backlog in driving tests because of Covid, means they just want shot of 'em so will pass anyone!

Obviously I won't show her this post! :oops:

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

I’ll never sleep again

Post by Pondrew » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:52 am

Ole gits rule wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:25 pm now get that wallet out n pony up the extra for her insurance and the tramadol to keep SWMBO calm
    Been doing the "ah now she has passed her premium goes up by £5,000,000 a year" conversations with the insurance already.

Ironically, she now can't drive as her original insurance is invalid until I re-mortgage the house. I can't drive the car either until I stump up the increased premium! :roll:

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold