Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Loss of power on a left turn.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
deltasierra

Post by deltasierra » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:36 pm

It could be an intermittent electrical connection if the wiring is able to move in a turn, much more likely is a fuel pickup problem in the tank, either object moving around or a detached pipe.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:38 pm

Marty65 wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:59 pm I hate cars lol
They are great when they work; PITA when they don't. Could be worse, though. You could have bought a Mini. :wink:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Marty65

Post by Marty65 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:13 pm

Don't go there. I did about 10 years ago. It lasted 3 months and got the boot ๐Ÿ˜

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:51 pm

When you turn the DSC off, are you doing the full-fat 10second press and getting 3 lights up? Otherwise you're only really disabling the traction control.

Start by reseting the tyre pressure monitoring system (and even check the pressures if you like!) as it could be marginal on whinging that a tyre is flat but the rolling radius could be enough to throw the DSC into intervening.

If it's not that it's a tyre issue. I used to get this problem on my 320d at one point when I had notably different tyre makes front to back and also one end was quite new where the other was mostly worn. The DSC is looking at the tyre rotational speeds and, within limits for a given steering input, it knows what ratio of speed differences it can allow. Beyond that it assumes a tyre is slipping. Have a setup where going in a straight line is already giving quite disparate speeds and, on cornering, it looks more like slippage. The effect is exaserbated by staggered setups as they're already likely to be not quite equal circumference front to back. And different makes make different diameter tyres no matter what it says on the side!

Regarding only doing it going left, it could be one tyre is lower tread than its oppo or just the difference in where the weight is located (BMWs are right side heavy in the UK, in LHD-land the battery compensates for the driver a bit) throwing the system.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:09 pm

smorris_12 wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:51 pm When you turn the DSC off, are you doing the full-fat 10second press and getting 3 lights up? Otherwise you're only really disabling the traction control.

Start by reseting the tyre pressure monitoring system (and even check the pressures if you like!) as it could be marginal on whinging that a tyre is flat but the rolling radius could be enough to throw the DSC into intervening.

If it's not that it's a tyre issue. I used to get this problem on my 320d at one point when I had notably different tyre makes front to back and also one end was quite new where the other was mostly worn. The DSC is looking at the tyre rotational speeds and, within limits for a given steering input, it knows what ratio of speed differences it can allow. Beyond that it assumes a tyre is slipping. Have a setup where going in a straight line is already giving quite disparate speeds and, on cornering, it looks more like slippage. The effect is exaserbated by staggered setups as they're already likely to be not quite equal circumference front to back. And different makes make different diameter tyres no matter what it says on the side!

Regarding only doing it going left, it could be one tyre is lower tread than its oppo or just the difference in where the weight is located (BMWs are right side heavy in the UK, in LHD-land the battery compensates for the driver a bit) throwing the system.
Oh yes, that's a thought.
If you have staggered wheel sizes check the correct ones are on front and back too.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Marty65

Post by Marty65 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:23 pm

I've been doing the semi-skimmed push. Just the amber DTC on the dash. Didn't know about the 10 sec push. Every day is a school day!
I'll give it a go and fingers crossed.
Your input is very much appreciated ๐Ÿ‘