Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Violent limp mode with DME code 5E19 plus others - Now resolved (I think!)!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Rossi1001

Violent limp mode with DME code 5E19 plus others - Please help!

Post by Rossi1001 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:14 am

So I thought it was worth updating this for the benefit of other forum members with perhaps a similar issue on their Z4.

The broken exhaust manifold was finally fixed last week (a family bereavement and my original mechanic being seriously unwell too, meant this was delayed for some considerable time). Though annoyinly in the process of welding, the garage have busted one of the O2 sensors. It's going back to fix that next week.

Whilst in for the exhaust work, I also got the garage to change my broken oil level sensor.

I've given it a good drive, including full throttle on both normal and sport mode several times, and although it's still (from cold on start up) throwing the intermittent cylinder 2 misfire (and now the 02 sensor) codes, I've not had the codes below, nor the violent limp mode, that I had prior to fixing the air intake, changing the MAF and replacing the oil level sensor.
  • 27C3 DME: Thermal oil-level sensor
  • 281D DME: BSD generator : signal
  • 28A2 DME: Air path:monitoring
  • 5E19 CAN data fault from DME/DDE (DSC lamp on as long as error is present)
I don't want to count my chickens just yet (and will report back if things change), but (fingers crossed!!) this horible violent limp mode problem is now fixed, with the cause of the issue having been a combination of a broken MAF sensor, along with a completely knackered air intake boot.
Z4 2.5i Auto (April 2003, Titan Silver & Red Leather)