Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine start system failure

PSQ777

Post by PSQ777 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:32 am

Around 6 weeks ago my car failed to start with an engine start system failure (call breakdown service) message. I put it down to a one off, then it happened again a couple of weeks later. Both times the car started on the second button press. But now the issue is happening more often, almost every other start, sometimes requiring multiple presses to get it going. Reading other forums it is likely to be a starter motor failure, so a simple fix hopefully. I'll ring my local BMW service place tomorrow. Has anyone else had this issue ?

PSQ777

Post by PSQ777 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:44 am

Car booked in for the 22nd. It's pretty much grounded now. I don't want the hassle of a starter motor failure when away from home.

ori

Post by ori » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:21 pm

Maybe call bmw assist to get in quicker. Don’t suppose you have a code reader?

If it’s a starter motor issue then it is a simple fix.

PSQ777

Post by PSQ777 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:17 pm

ori wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:21 pm Maybe call bmw assist to get in quicker. Don’t suppose you have a code reader?

No code reader unfortunately but the symptoms are similar to what I've read about on other BMWs. I did speak to the main BMW service desk. They had a ring round all the local dealers to try to get a better slot, but there was nothing else before December. I'm really hoping it's the starter motor, but if so I'm expecting a further delay while they wait for a new one to be shipped.

ori

Post by ori » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:29 pm

PSQ777 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:17 pm
ori wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:21 pm Maybe call bmw assist to get in quicker. Don’t suppose you have a code reader?

No code reader unfortunately but the symptoms are similar to what I've read about on other BMWs. I did speak to the main BMW service desk. They had a ring round all the local dealers to try to get a better slot, but there was nothing else before December. I'm really hoping it's the starter motor, but if so I'm expecting a further delay while they wait for a new one to be shipped.
Starter motor should be a standard part shared across several models so should be quick for you.

PSQ777

Post by PSQ777 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:13 pm

Re my engine start issue. BMW techs inspected it today and all seems fine with the car. They have said the issue might be battery drain caused by my Ghost immobiliser, so nothing more BMW will do until I rule that out. I'll be on to the Ghost installers tomorrow.

PSQ777

Post by PSQ777 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:48 pm

PSQ777 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:13 pm Re my engine start issue. BMW techs inspected it today and all seems fine with the car. They have said the issue might be battery drain caused by my Ghost immobiliser, so nothing more BMW will do until I rule that out. I'll be on to the Ghost installers tomorrow.
In case anyone is interested the Ghost is out of my car and so far the start system is working. However I had an odd one; the interior lights go on when I unlock the car, but then go off when I open the door. So I've reset the idrive and that seems to be fixed now too. Fingers crossed my car has all its issues solved.

PSQ777

Post by PSQ777 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:00 am

PSQ777 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:48 pm
PSQ777 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:13 pm Re my engine start issue. BMW techs inspected it today and all seems fine with the car. They have said the issue might be battery drain caused by my Ghost immobiliser, so nothing more BMW will do until I rule that out. I'll be on to the Ghost installers tomorrow.
In case anyone is interested the Ghost is out of my car and so far the start system is working. However I had an odd one; the interior lights go on when I unlock the car, but then go off when I open the door. So I've reset the idrive and that seems to be fixed now too. Fingers crossed my car has all its issues solved.
After reading several forums about the internal lights issue, it apparently is caused by a low battery charge, so the car disables anything unnecessary. I got in the car this afternoon and got a low battery level warning and advice that I go on an extended drive. Bear in mind I've had battery drain warnings probably caused by the Ghost. The battery could be the root cause of everything. I drove for around 90 minutes and now everything is working well. Several hours later and the internal lights are functioning. So the thing to note here is if your internal lights stop coming on the cause is likely to be the battery.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:55 am

The E89 had an earlier version of this current drain logic…

Looks like infrequent use and the immobiliser was the issue.

The battery may now be compromised.

If the issues re-appear then maybe it’s time for a new battery.
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Sladester100

Post by Sladester100 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:40 pm

PSQ777 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:46 am I posted about my battery issues over on the Problems board. My battery is being replaced this week. The most obvious symptom I have seen is that the internal lights including the ambient light strips will not switch on when you unlock the car. Then occasionally I see a low charge warning and the car computer recommends an extended drive. I read about this and the car will switch off anything that could impede starting. I finally got a notification that I need a battery service. Unfortunately I haven't found a way of checking the battery status, the prompts only come when there is an issue.
Is this being replaced under a warranty? I’ve heard batteries have a 5 year warranty (and doesn’t follow the standard 3 year vehicle one) ?
F30 320d ED Melbourne Metallic, Vis Pack, Dakota Leather, & Other Goodies :thumsup:
G29 M40i First Edition Frozen Orange :cool:

PSQ777

Post by PSQ777 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:16 am

Sladester100 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:40 pm
PSQ777 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:46 am I posted about my battery issues over on the Problems board. My battery is being replaced this week. The most obvious symptom I have seen is that the internal lights including the ambient light strips will not switch on when you unlock the car. Then occasionally I see a low charge warning and the car computer recommends an extended drive. I read about this and the car will switch off anything that could impede starting. I finally got a notification that I need a battery service. Unfortunately I haven't found a way of checking the battery status, the prompts only come when there is an issue.
Is this being replaced under a warranty? I’ve heard batteries have a 5 year warranty (and doesn’t follow the standard 3 year vehicle one) ?
I just assumed the battery is a consumable and booked it in for a replacement. My car goes in to Berry Thames Ditton tomorrow morning.

PSQ777

Post by PSQ777 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:45 am

PSQ777 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:16 am
Sladester100 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:40 pm
I just assumed the battery is a consumable and booked it in for a replacement. My car goes in to Berry Thames Ditton tomorrow morning.
They checked whether my extended comprehensive warranty covered it, but I was out of luck. My car is over 4 years old anyway so I didn't expect it. The replacement cost was fine, battery at normal retail price plus an hour of labour. £369.