Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 M40i G29 Roof - Can the roof be raised or lowered without holding the buttons for the whole time?

z4nmk

Z4 M40i G29 Roof - Can the roof be raised or lowered without holding the buttons for the whole time?

Post by z4nmk » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:48 pm

I've just taken delivery of a 3 year old M40i. Do I really have to hold the roof lever/keyfob button down the WHOLE time for the roof to open or close and windows to do their thing? The operation stops the open/close if I let go. It's really annoying - If I want to put the roof down, I want the roof down. If I want it up, I want it up. I could understand pressing things for a couple of seconds just to check that 'I am sure' ... but I just want the thing to go up and down without having to hang onto something for the whole time. Please advise :-)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:54 pm

z4nmk wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:48 pm I've just taken delivery of a 3 year old M40i. Do I really have to hold the roof lever/keyfob button down the WHOLE time for the roof to open or close and windows to do their thing? The operation stops the open/close if I let go. It's really annoying - If I want to put the roof down, I want the roof down. If I want it up, I want it up. I could understand pressing things for a couple of seconds just to check that 'I am sure' ... but I just want the thing to go up and down without having to hang onto something for the whole time. Please advise :-)
You could the passenger to get in first and do it. :D

I know earlier models have aftermarket gadgets that will allow this, but no idea on the later one.
I suspect the reason is that if you suddenly realise something is trapped, or a child is about to lose a finger, then your first reaction is to let go, and it stops.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:49 pm

No one touch operation on the G29, that i'm aware of either OEM, bimmercode or aftermarket device.

My 718 Boxster had one touch from the cabin for the roof down, but had to held for roof up.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

r2uzenblot

Post by r2uzenblot » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:37 pm

I wouldn't have thought it a safety feature as there surely is an overload stop if something/someone gets trapped. I don't really understand why as the windows on most cars close automatically after a brief hold of the button and the same principle applies.
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:13 pm

Tad expensive imho for the one touch when thee roof is sub 10 secs. Was well worth it in my E89’s

If you’re feeling flush

https://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/inde ... iew&id=172

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

mrwkuk

Post by mrwkuk » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:56 pm

z4nmk wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:48 pm Do I really have to hold the roof lever/keyfob button down the WHOLE time for the roof to open or close and windows to do their thing?
    10 WHOLE seconds of your life. Your time must be extremely valuable. :rofl:

Seriously, what are you doing where 10 seconds is that onerous? I get in my car, put on the belt, start the engine, put it in gear (usually reverse) and then just hold the roof lever as im pulling out of the parking space. By the time its down im ready to drive away. Thats assuming i'm alone. If theres a passenger, it usually takes more than 10 seconds before they are ready to roll anyway.
    Last edited by mrwkuk on Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crz4

Post by crz4 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:29 am

I have the mods4cars module and saved a lot of time of my life. :thumbsup:
    https://www.mods4cars.com/
    Soft top open - vacation mode on 8)
    BMW • Freude am Fahren

shubunkin

Post by shubunkin » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:40 pm

Yeah, +1 for me on the mods4cars module. So much nicer that you can just push the button then get your hands basck on the wheel. AND you can make the button the right way round (push to lower!). I always use it approaching the car, roof is down by the time I touch the door and you can just step in and vice-versa, walk away and let it raise itself. (no I don't work for them ;) )