Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Profile increase

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Profile increase

Post by ronk » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:09 pm

I’m looking at a tyre change soon and the rears are going from. 255/30 to 255/35
This has generally been acknowledged as being ok :thumbsup:

Q. Does the same ok :thumbsup: apply to the fronts ie going from 225/35 to 225/40?

I was looking at the Cont 7’s as a few on here have been singing their praise but the Michelin PS 5 are being offered at very.competative prices.

I apologise for posting what’s been done to death a few times but I’m probably going to be bounced Into a change as i have some characteristic inner edge wear on the rears with an MOT due soon.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Profile increase

Post by B21 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:22 pm

Logically it would be best to increase the front to match..you then have the same height sidewall..

Your DSC will like it when you lose control on a slippery road..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Profile increase

Post by ronk » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:30 pm

It’s the logical thing to do - but as the PS 5 isn’t available in 225/35 my hand has been somewhat forced!
I didn’t want to have PS 4 front and PS5 rear!

Having a 5% wall increase front and rear seems sensible
I only hope the steering feel remains as sharp

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Profile increase

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:01 pm

Increasing the rear profile shouldn't be a problem. I put 255/45 tyres on my MC instead of the OE 255/40 size and it has made the speedo more accurate. :lol:

I didn't change the size or profile of the fronts because I've read that Z4s can get a bit "twitchy" at higher speeds so I thought a few mm higher at the rear might improve that, and maybe improve the ride.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Profile increase

Post by ronk » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:46 pm

Ive gone 225/40 front and 255/35 Rear without any problems showing up as yet.
I still have to check my speedo calibration - I will use an iPhone app. :thumbsup:

The tyres were supplied and fitted by ATS Euro thro their web site but why oh why won't they take off the residue of previous wheel weights while the wheel assy is on the bench?
They have stuck the new balance weights on top of the residue on one of the fronts - it is already pealing off so will require a re balance tomorrow. They do offer a free four wheel alighnment check but I'm reluctant to let them loose on the car to make any adjustments if they cannot stick wheel weight on properly! :thumbsdown:

darich

Profile increase

Post by darich » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:58 am

I think standard size on the front is 225x40x18 so if you're on 35profile, it's non-standard.
Changing to 40 will be fine.
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Profile increase

Post by ronk » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:31 am

Std on my car was. 225/35/19 f and 255/30 /19

I’ve gone to 40 an 35 profile without a problem
Other than the clowns not removing the residue if the previous wheel weights and expecting it ro stick!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Profile increase

Post by Pondrew » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:37 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:31 am Other than the clowns not removing the residue if the previous wheel weights and expecting it ro stick!
You should have taken it to a tyre garage, rather than a circus, Ron. :lol: :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Profile increase

Post by ronk » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:56 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:37 pm You should have taken it to a tyre garage, rather than a circus, Ron. :lol: :lol:

Circus!!!!

I'm starting to think I've been on a Merry Go Round at full tilt when Im trying to extract common sense out of BMW insured warranty while advising them of the 5% wall profile increase.
Apparently its "none standard" and as such anything that the tyre increase has an effect upon, will not be covered.
My question was, such as what? Their answer, I don't know, ask your dealer! - The answer was from their claims dept! :headbang:

If their claims department doesn't know, then who does? The dealer service manager and his chief tech didn't know either!
The dealer said it would probably only be a problem if it was an X Drive system.

I'm so pleased that I had the Std / Star Marked / Bridgestone junk fitted to my 335Xd :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Profile increase

Post by Pondrew » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:03 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:56 pm
Circus!!!!

I'm starting to think I've been on a Merry Go Round at full tilt when Im trying to extract common sense out of BMW insured warranty while advising them of the 5% wall profile increase.
Apparently its "none standard" and as such anything that the tyre increase has an effect upon, will not be covered.
My question was, such as what? Their answer, I don't know, ask your dealer! - The answer was from their claims dept! :headbang:

If their claims department doesn't know, then who does? The dealer service manager and his chief tech didn't know either!
The dealer said it would probably only be a problem if it was an X Drive system.

I'm so pleased that I had the Std / Star Marked / Bridgestone junk fitted to my 335Xd :thumbsup:
At your age, Ron, I would have thought you would have known doing the right thing is only going to complicate matters and eventually cost you money.

"What they don't know can't hurt them" would be my go-to attitude for this and many other things in life these days.

Just tell them you've had a change of mind and gone back to the standard 35 and 40 profile! They will probably not bat an eyelid.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Profile increase

Post by B21 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:45 am

The real world reality on this is that in the event of an incident the tyres with good tread would not look out of place on the car..there are so so many variations in tyre sizes within and across models it’s very very unlikely to ever be an issue..

So two points…

If you are concerned you should have stuck to stock sizes like most folks do..

Otherwise as we say in aviation…’better to ask for forgiveness than ask for approval’
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Profile increase

Post by ronk » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:58 am

Given the vast overall improvement that the tyres have provided I feel that I would make the same choices again.

The car went into the dealership for its mot last week and they did a video health check- no mention of the tyres other than they were new and giving me tread depth!

My low use of the car will probably make any problems someone else’s problems!

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Profile increase

Post by sars » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:16 pm

It's a matter or risk versus reward!

The risk with a manufacturers warranted car, is that if you have a problem with the transmission, brakes or suspension from a change you have made to the tyres/wheels against what was homologated (star marked excluded as this a recommendation rather than a requirement) then there is a risk that they may not pay out fully or not at all.

Unfortunately the risk is difficult to quantify, with a certain amount of luck involved, it just takes a keen, knowledgeable and astute technician to spot you've gone up a profile......
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Profile increase

Post by ronk » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:26 pm

Neither the service manager nor the chief technician at the dealership could give me a scenario where the tyres would cause a failure.