Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hi Everyone.

First port of call for new members
redgum

Hi Everyone.

Post by redgum » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:15 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to forums and new to the z4, its a car I have always wanted and now the children all have their own cars and have (virtually) left home I decided its time to sell the z750 and get something almost as fast but with four wheels that I can drive in the sun with no helmet and leathers and can just put the hood up when the dark clouds come along.
I searched for a month or two for a 3lt with low mileage, the first one was an almost but the chap could not bare to part with it in the end and decided to keep it.
Wanted a low mileage and the next one came up just over 200 miles away and what a saga, I had a few lengthy phone conversations before deciding to go up and saw some great photos. He said it had no rust, really good condition etc,used it every day. 59000 miles with full service history, new discs and pads alround, springs etc etc etc. I didnt take to the chap from the start and everything I picked up on he just moaned ' well what do you expect from a 20 year old car, that catch phrase became almost after his every breath. It seemed to drive ok, around the suburbs, but he had to get off ta work so I decided to bite the bullet. He said he would not hand in the paper work until the end of the month so I would not need to loose almost a months tax.
Off I went with my green slip wondering if I had just made a massive mistake in judgement as it the situation didn't feel right.
Two miles down the road and onto the first A road I decided to give the 3lt motor a bit of fuel, I was met with a misfiring engine which eventually went into a sort of limp mode with a dull uneven throbbing, I made it to a layby and rang the bloke I bought off and asked if he could give any assistance, his answer was ' you havent stopped moaning since you got up here' then promply turned his phone off, helpful chap.
Well I turned the engine off and contemplated my z arriving home with green flag. I started it again and it sounded as sweet as it had before I made any demands, I suppose this is were the love affair has started. 200miles from home and the z sailed all the way despite being wounded, I didn't go over 3000rpm and the ride was hard but comfy, took me right back to my 20's. She didnt let me down though had obvioulsy come from an abusive home, I did a car search on the vehicle and luckily all was good, service history, mot's, no accidents or finance though the generous offer from the seller of keeping the tax on it was a little hollow as it had run out three months earlier.
I will put new plugs n coil packs in over the weekend as pretty sure thats what if feels like is wrong and see how we go. In all fairness the car is good n tight for a 20year old. No doupt I will after be afteradvice at some point as usual problems with door locks etc.

Cannon1891

Hi Everyone.

Post by Cannon1891 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:03 am

HI redgum,

Hope you get it all sorted soon. Can you get it plugged in to diagnostic scanner ?
I'm just exploring some options for some basic scanners, much reading up to do.

Keep us posted

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hi Everyone.

Post by buzyg » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:02 pm

Oh ekk, not the best way to start off life with your z4. Hope you get it sorted soon and can enjoy the rest of the summer. Welcome aboard. :)

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Hi Everyone.

Post by inkey$ » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:11 pm

Welcome along and great story - albeit not the best of starts. Sounds as though you're in it for the long haul though, so as already mentioned, get yourself a cheap Creator C110+ diagnostic unit from eBay, scan the car and keep fettling!

Oh, and some photos would go amiss either :thumbsup:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Hi Everyone.

Post by paddy wright » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:22 pm

Welcome- sounds like an ahole of a seller and glad you took him out of the Z community! Hope it’s plain sailing for you from here. Happy zedding. :thumbsup:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Hi Everyone.

Post by MikeyH » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:32 pm

What a knob! No not you, welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

redgum

Hi Everyone.

Post by redgum » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:07 pm

Thanks everyone, like I have said before,everyday is a school day and I really have myself to blame, well I did fall under the Z spell but I did have the chance to walk away. The motor has only done 7000 miles since last BMW key read and it could well have been serviced at a none BMW garage or by themselves. A friend has a state of the art reader( he does car keys for a living). Just sorting out all the little niggles and have the help of some very knowledgeable chaps off here, one not so far away. My Z will be a keeper, will puts some photo's up soon.

Stevo1987

Hi Everyone.

Post by Stevo1987 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:52 pm

Where’s the photos? :D :poke: :thumbsup:
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.