Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wireless Charging Pad Not Working

nickpicks

Post by nickpicks » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:53 pm

My GF's Z4 has a wireless charging pad in the consol, but it doesn't seem to charge the phone.
Her Samsung phone definitely supports it, but I can't tell if the car pad is working.
Is there any way of telling if the power is on? Should a little light light up to tell you it's on? I can't see anything.

r2uzenblot

Post by r2uzenblot » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:27 pm

A blue light comes on when charging, however my Samsung phone needs a wireless adapter plugged into it for the wireless charger to work. Not all Samsung phones are wireless enabled. Also only treat the wireless charger as a boost as it gets hot pretty quick, especially when using apps on the BMW, and will switch off. I find 30 minutes maximum and it gets about 10-15% charge in. Not sure if it would be better if the phone was wireless charging enabled and I didn't have to use the adapter.
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

doubledoom

Post by doubledoom » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:27 am

When you lay the phone flat on the charger pad, about 3-4 seconds later you should hear the phone let off its charging beep. My samsung sounds a low two tone beep. Plus the charging icon appears on the cover (its a flip phone).

However, Samsung phones get very hot in there and cause the phone to overheat. So, don't use it on hot days. Do not use it for long periods and do not close the cover when charging. I ended up sticking a charging cable in the car for long journeys. In my wife's Range Rover, the wireless charging does not overheat the phone.