Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by B21 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:51 am

Like your ‘cribs’ :thumbsup:

Similar design here…
Attachments
IMG_7166.jpeg
IMG_7166.jpeg (204.49 KiB) Viewed 687 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Christopher72

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:40 pm

Nice! I like the height of yours with the larger dimensional lumber.

If I had access to a jack that went higher, I'd probably add another 3"-6". Just getting it up on these was a series of intermediate steps and a chunk of wood between the jack and the Zed.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by B21 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:05 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:40 pm Nice! I like the height of yours with the larger dimensional lumber.

If I had access to a jack that went higher, I'd probably add another 3"-6". Just getting it up on these was a series of intermediate steps and a chunk of wood between the jack and the Zed.
Yes Ukrainian engineering concept…nothing like a bit of chunky timber :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Christopher72

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:52 pm

Haven't found the waterpump yet, but I think I'm getting close. :lol:

Replaced the oil housing gasket & oil therm (Mosselman)

Depressurized the AC refrigerant thinking it was a radiator screw... ugh.. don't work late at night for this reason. I will have to get that recharged. I have a CSF all-metal radiator coming tomorrow to replace the BMW one since it makes too much plastic unhappy noises when removing hoses.

And first time this intake manifold has been off -- need some walnut blasting... eventually... not this time.
Christopher
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by B21 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:58 pm

Good work..I'd heard on Spoolstreet that some folks were unhappy with the quality of the CSF rads?

Christopher72

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:01 pm

I'll take a good look. and of course, a decent pressure test. The OEM plastic one just seemed wrong for the task - plastic just doesn't radiate well... right?
Christopher

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by B21 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:38 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:01 pm I'll take a good look. and of course, a decent pressure test. The OEM plastic one just seemed wrong for the task - plastic just doesn't radiate well... right?
Some of them seem to have cracked after a couple of years..

Intuitively I agree about plastic end caps..I’m going for DO88

https://www.do88.co.uk/index.php?cPath=1261_695_1439

Christopher72

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by Christopher72 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:03 am

I guess I'll be a witness if it occurs. Picked it up from Ohio-based ECS Tuning, and they have a lifetime replacement on it -- so that's some comfort. Tomorrow I'll head to the front and replace the tensioner, spindle, belt, add the crank seal guard and capture...

Looking down at the water pump and thermostat, it's pretty tight in there, and pulling off the radiator gives a bit of access -- service manual says to release the stabilizer bar, and release screws on the front right diagonal support.

What is your experience with this replacement? Is releasing the stabilizer bar enough, or do I have to release the rest to do this? Can I support the removal with a jack/jack stand since I'm sitting up on cribs or am I going to have to borrow an engine bar and support from above?
Christopher

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by B21 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:20 am

I’ve not tackled that job so I’m afraid I can’t help you…my local garage did my water pump and said it was a pig…good luck ..

Chippie

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by Chippie » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:50 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:03 am What is your experience with this replacement? Is releasing the stabilizer bar enough, or do I have to release the rest to do this? Can I support the removal with a jack/jack stand since I'm sitting up on cribs or am I going to have to borrow an engine bar and support from above?
I’ve spoken to my son who did mine and he said as far as he can remember he only had to drop the sway/anti roll bar, removed the thermostat first and then the water pump, I think you need a swivel socket to be able to remove the rear bolt, I think it’s more by touch than sight.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Christopher72

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by Christopher72 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:20 pm

Chippie wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:50 pm I’ve spoken to my son who did mine and he said as far as he can remember he only had to drop the sway/anti roll bar, removed the thermostat first and then the water pump, I think you need a swivel socket to be able to remove the rear bolt, I think it’s more by touch than sight.
Thanks Chippie, I appreciate knowing its possible just with the sway bar. Does anyone know if the front right diagonal "strut" is taking weighted load, or just a lateral structural stiffener?

B21 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:20 am …my local garage did my water pump and said it was a pig…good luck ..
Yea, after digging into it, looks like a challenge. I guess I'll take a few photos in my attempt and see if they are useful enough for anyone else who wants to take this on. FCPEuro did a video on the N54 waterpump with a 335i, https://youtu.be/g8qozaA0PJU and it's better than nothing, but still doesn't show the magic of what's happening when he sticks his hand into the mix.
Christopher

Christopher72

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by Christopher72 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:41 am

Life and kids take priority, but back at it.

Belt tensioner and spindle (and belt) replaced - caps added later than pic

Vanos solenoids replaced - simple, remember to get the old gaskets out....

VTT Crank Seal Guard installed -- removing the existing bolts and installing the replacements at torque was a real pain and required jointed sockets/extensions :!:

VTT Crank Bolt Capture installed - removing, installing, and torquing these was easier with the new accessory belt installed with tension. Blue threadlock added.

Tomorrow I'll get to the pump... hopefully. I'm starting to notice a massive pile of bolts on my bench. Here's hoping I remember where each goes...

The green is where the pump is. The blue is the right diagonal strut. I will put a jack under that center attachment point before releasing that bolt since I'm unsure of the loading of it. Getting it out of the way will make that pump removal much easier. Image

The CSF radiator arrived. I hope they don't add to the cost of the part spraying their logo on the front of a radiator that will be sandwiched against the condenser -- how ridiculous. Somebody tell Bob to put down the paint can and find a more helpful task -- he's gonna be first when there are labor reductions. :cry:
Christopher

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by B21 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:31 am

Looking good..very neat :thumbsup:

Christopher72

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:00 am

It seems like I do need a stubby 6mm flex head wrench to get at the clamps. Have to go pick one up. Almost impossible without, and I'm tired of fighting with a swivel rachet.

These are tiny and fit the challenge perfectly... Thanks amazon.
Christopher

Christopher72

Wasserpumpe ist kaputt

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:04 am

Getting them out was a royal pain... a real Meghan. You have to be one with the Zen of the car to succeed. Essentially sticking your hands up in spaces, you can only visualize in your mind and be agile enough with the correct tools. So, to anyone looking into this... it's possible, and you may be more skilled than I am, but there's less space to work with than the 335i N54, so I'm hoping this part lasts for a long time.

Getting that diagonal strut out and lowering the sway bar gives some space, but not much more than they use.

This picture makes it look huge... it's not. I could do it with my XL hands -- although I was tempted to have my 14 yr. old give it a go several times.

Unlike the 335i video, I couldn't get access to the 'U' tubing to release behind the pump, but only to release it from the thermostat.
Additionally, I left the tubing from the Thermostat to the 'Mickey Mouse' flange on since it wasn't holding it in place.
There's no way to access the electrical connection to the pump while it's in place -- but it's easy to disconnect on its way out.

And... WEAR eye protection and gloves... I was surprised several times by undrained coolant. And it spattered against my eye protection -- well worth dealing with the minor inconvenience of fogging not to be washing the pain out of my eyes.

I used the two existing pipes to reference the positional setup of the new therm and pump and associated silicone tubing.

Stopping for the night and likely a few days. I was distracted this weekend working on a canary yellow 2008 Chrysler Crossfire roadster -- replacing lights, torn-up splash guards, and jack points. (family first)
Christopher