Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oddity when braking, possibly "normal"?

mrwkuk

Post by mrwkuk » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:26 pm

So i have had the zed for a couple of weeks now and its great but I am wondering if i had an oddity under braking or its just "the norm", or possibly an artifact of it being an auto.

In previous cars when coming to a stop at lights i would drop the clutch and fether the brake until coming to a halt. More pressure = harder braking, less pressure = softer. As youd expect.

In the zed, when coming to some lights i will slowly fether the brakes, same as before, however when lifting the brake it doesnt seem to reduce the amount of slowdown. It feels like the brakes are still being applied (albeit lightly).

I am not sure if this is a braking thing, or the fact that its an auto, and thus technically still "in gear" and its the engine doing the braking.

Does this sound normal? or is it worth getting it looked at?

For reference the brakes work fine at speed. They are smooth, and progressive as you'd expect (not snappy like a Yaris or something). And if you stay on the brakes until stopped then it feels pretty normal, its only when you do very light braking at low speed that it feels odd.

ori

Post by ori » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:45 pm

Have you got auto start stop turned on? That makes slow breaking at low speed annoying. I always have it off.

mrwkuk

Post by mrwkuk » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:20 am

ori wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:45 pm Have you got auto start stop turned on? That makes slow breaking at low speed annoying. I always have it off.
Depends on driving mode, and how im feeling but it seems to do it either way so i dont think its that. When its on the engine doesnt stop until the car is completely motionless. This issue is apparent in the last few mph during slow down.

ori

Post by ori » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:40 pm

What you describe is exactly the feeling I get with stop start. It switches off and when you creep forward it fires up again.

I can’t say what you describe is normal other than the auto always tries to creep forward.

Do you have auto hold enabled. That took me some getting used to and again could describe that feeling.

mrwkuk

Post by mrwkuk » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:38 pm

ori wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:40 pm What you describe is exactly the feeling I get with stop start. It switches off and when you creep forward it fires up again.

I can’t say what you describe is normal other than the auto always tries to creep forward.

Do you have auto hold enabled. That took me some getting used to and again could describe that feeling.
Its kind of the opposite of auto creep though.

The car continues to slow down, like your foot is lightly on the brake, even when you lift off. Im fairly sure its just engine braking but it feels more pronounced than im used to in a manual mostly, as i say, because I would normally drop the clutch when coming to a stop so theres no additional resistance other than rolling resistance.

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:25 pm

I think its normal. As you say, in a manual you would have dipped the clutch, but in an auto, if you arent on the gas, youve got a big engine trying to slow down to idle. If you accelerate in 1st, then come off the gas, engine braking will slow you down fairly sharpish.

And, 6 speed autos often pull away in 2nd gear, so possibly evem greater effect.

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:33 am

I must say I've never found autos to still be trying to slow you down during the last few mph, quite the reverse if anything (, unless it's a DCT box which I've never tried.)

To eliminate the box, try it in neutral and see if it does it. It sounds like slightly sticky calipers to me.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:00 am

Could be calipers slightly binding as said above, OR

I noticed when I had a 440 with the same engine and gearbox that in full auto, when coming to a stop, the gearbox would change down into 1st gear before the car had stopped (maybe 5-6 mph). If you lifted off the brake then the drag could be enough to feel like it is slowing down still? I never tried it. Easy way to see is drive it in 'manual' and leave it in 2nd or 3rd gear when coming to a stop. It then won't change down to 1st until at a standstill, so there should be a difference.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Sladester100

Post by Sladester100 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:56 pm

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed in mine.

As other suggest it’s prob worth checking it in neutral in case it is a case of the engine braking just being more than you anticipate?

On the other points, I find the auto start stop took a bit of getting used to and the pedal ‘control’ of it. I find sometimes it will actual auto off before I’m quite motionless. Interesting.
F30 320d ED Melbourne Metallic, Vis Pack, Dakota Leather, & Other Goodies :thumsup:
G29 M40i First Edition Frozen Orange :cool: